Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CurlieSue

i must say it was AMAZING, clear sky over my area so saw it perfectly. Hard to believe there were 7 people all the way up there, really somthing else:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

http://spaceweather.com/ Nice pic here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rev33

Saw it last night as well.. 11.26pm passing over Headford in Galway.. gave me goose bumps, got a great view of ss with fuel tank below..was fairly moving, had crossed full skyline in less than 2 mins!! want to see more now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

fryup wrote: »
    how did you manage to pick up the commentary??

had my scanner at the ready. For launch and re-entry they use 259.7MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 10 oozler

Just posted a shot I took in the Photography section. Thought you guys might like to see it too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61168052#post61168052

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Brilliant pic what camera were you using??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

HEY!

SEEN THE FUEL TANKS and the shuttle yesterday!
    WAS AMAZING! .

GONNA TRY CATCH THE SHUTTLE CHASING THE ISS 2nite!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ....? LOOKIN FOR A GOOD PLACE TO GO in the DUBLIN/WICKLOW AREA FOR A GOOD
    VIEW OF THE SKY!???????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Anybody know what time the iss will be visible tonight in limerick maybe? I couldnt follow the earlier link as im using the internet on my phone. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10 oozler

Linguo wrote: »
    Brilliant pic what camera were you using??

Thanks Linguo - I was using a Nikon D300 with the Nikon 10.5mm DX fisheye lens

BETWEEN 10.28-10.35

GOIN FROM EAST TO WEST

AT ARMS LENGTH ......6 FIST HEIGHTS HIGH

GOOD LUCK ! :cool:

• Advertisement

SORRY!!!!!!!

WEST TO EAST!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    HEY!

SEEN THE FUEL TANKS and the shuttle yesterday!
    WAS AMAZING! .

GONNA TRY CATCH THE SHUTTLE CHASING THE ISS 2nite!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ....? LOOKIN FOR A GOOD PLACE TO GO in the DUBLIN/WICKLOW AREA FOR A GOOD
    VIEW OF THE SKY!???????????????????????
    Try to find a place with minimal light pollution and minimal clouds.

Heavens-Above has updated now, and is listing shuttle passes for tonight. A bright shuttle pass (-2.2) will be passing at around 11:59 heading West to ESE.
    A bright ISS pass (-3.3) will be passing about 10:29PM heading West to East.

To get your own passes, got to www.heavens-above.com and enter your co-ordinates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anybody know what time the iss will be visible tonight in limerick maybe? I couldnt follow the earlier link as im using the internet on my phone. Thanks in advance

Should be about 11:40 I think.

Actually, not sure, just checked the site again and it now says after 12midnight sometime.

Check the other thread entitled "Thursday night sightings time for Shuttle and ISS", you'll see times/directions posted in there for both the ISS and the Space Shuttle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

whats ISS?:pac: international space shuttle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

mattfender wrote: »
    whats ISS?:pac: international space shuttle?

international space STATION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

my bad. all this seems pretty cool. reminds me of the rocket boys book :pac: will have me camcorder at the ready tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Waste of time with the camcorder, just watch it without bothering with any distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

For anyone still reading:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about which bit is which.

This is the Shuttle before it takes off.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/STS-116_PreLaunch_(NASA_KSC-06PD-2670).jpg

The big white aeroplane-looking thing in the middle is the Shuttle itself. That's where the people sit and is the white light of the pair you may have seen together last night between 23:21 and 23:24.
    The big orange thing in the picture is the external fuel tank. It separated from the Shuttle itself about 10 minutes before anyone in Ireland caught sight of it and flew alongside with it for a while, drifting slowly away. That's the orange light of the same pair last night. It was destroyed by the heat of rubbing off the air as it fell towards the Earth between here and Australia. It doesn't get reused since it doesn't exist any more.
    The two white things either side of the orange tank are the solid rockets that are used at the take-off only and these fall into the Atlantic near the USA coast soon after take-off. Nobody here saw them in the sky.

This is the International Space Station.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/ISS_March_2009.jpg

It's the dot you might have seen either an hour before (22:05) or 20 minutes after (23:39) the Shuttle and tank. The Shuttle will join up with it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Thargor wrote: »
    Waste of time with the camcorder, just watch it without bothering with any distractions.

Hiya Thargor ;-)

Whats the wx in Galway this evening / Cloudy as hell here in Cork :mad:
    Hope it clears for tonight !!

Hows the new scope?

Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Frank Ryan Jr

phonypony wrote: »
    my shakey video with live comms on the scanner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4Owaqe8Q4 Heard clear comms for a good 5 minutes and broken for a few minutes before and after

Very good idea & nicely done!
    I got a loan of a scanner a year ago and picked up the ISS comms.
    (although they were speaking Russian!) :rolleyes:
    Still, hearing them as they actually passed over must have been cool!

I can't believe the amount of interest this launch has caused on these
    boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

RTÉ said we could see it about 22:30 tonight (16 July) -- my question is, where in the sky shall we look?

My iPhone has a great app on it called Starmap (it's fairly sophisticated) so it's easy to find the right place to look... apart from "up"....

Yoda wrote: »
    RTÉ said we could see it about 22:30 tonight (16 July) -- my question is, where in the sky shall we look?

My iPhone has a great app on it called Starmap (it's fairly sophisticated) so it's easy to find the right place to look... apart from "up"....

If you go over to the other thread entitled "Thursday night sightings time for Shuttle and ISS" you'll see all the times and directions needed to see both passes of the ISS and the single pass of the Shuttle.

-JammyDodger-

Do you know what the record number of views is for a particular topic ???
    Jez , 21 Thousand and climbing :D for this

Great to see such interest :)

Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    -JammyDodger-

Do you know what the record number of views is for a particular topic ???
    Jez , 21 Thousand and climbing :D for this

Great to see such interest :)

Stargate

Am... Well there are threads that are open all of the time (see The Bar in the Bear Guts and Receeding Hairlines forum), that has nearly 2 million views. The record, in a short space of time, as far as I'm aware, is the English Paper 2 thread in the Leaving Cert. forum when the paper was leaked back in June. That got ~130,000 views in under 48 hours. But this one is doing well!

And I agree with how good it is to see so much interest, if only we could keep it up!

Am... Well there are threads that are open all of the time (see The Bar in the Bear Guts and Receeding Hairlines forum), that has nearly 2 million views. The record, in a short space of time, as far as I'm aware, is the English Paper 2 thread in the Leaving Cert. forum when the paper was leaked back in June. That got ~130,000 views in under 48 hours. But this one is doing well!

And I agree with how good it is to see so much interest, if only we could keep it up!

Jez !!!!!!

Thats incredible ~130,000 views in under 48 hours WOW

Maybe if we offered free rides on the shuttle with every 50 posts we could beat that LOL

thanks for ALL the info -JammyDodger-
    I see your working hard :eek:
    Your doing a fantastic job !!
    Thank You

Stargate

No problem, glad I can help.:)

-JammyDodger-

What a great pity , all this cloud cover :mad:

Really spoils everything , last night it was sooo hard to keep up to speed with
    all the posts , it was a brill night for this forum :) The amount of people sharing information was unreal , great to see it tho :)

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm excited bout it, really really hope it's visible again :) Won't be as cool as last night (watched it launch on TV, then see it zipping along in the sky :D), but still class :)

• Advertisement

Hi All

Was wondering what software , if any , people are using for tracking ?

I use a few sites on the net

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

http://www.heavens-above.com/

I use 2 programmes for tracking , 2 great progs >>>>>

1 ......Nova For Windows
    http://www.nlsa.com/rectangular.html
    2.......Wxtrack
    http://www.satsignal.eu/software/wxtrack_at_work.htm

Love to know what everybody else is using

TNX

Stargate

Advertisement