Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

fifilarue wrote: »
    I was keeping an eye out for it for the last few nights-it was supposed to pass last night at one minute past twelve coming from SSW and heading E, according to heavensabove-it was way too overcast to see anything though. Or did I get it wrong? It also seems to be on a different orbit than July. Was worth going out to have a look though-a family of foxes have been living in a field boundary behind the house for years and last night, which was spooky enough here :eek: moon creating shadows from beind cloud, cows coughing in the field etc. -one of the foxes hopped up on the wall surrounding the house and sat there for a couple of minutes-not a bother on him! My heart nearly stopped as I was only about 5 or 6m away. Then it started to rain....

LoL fifilarue , sounds like an adventure novel , :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Discovery undocking with the station at 20:26 Irish time Tuesday 8th. So both Shuttle and Station will be visible for a few nights a few minutes apart until Discovery lands Friday morning at 00:05

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Station just passed and was visible from here in Waterford. The shuttle has seperated from it but could not make out the two separately, they were too close together. Tomorrow night both should be visible.

Beeker wrote: »
    Station just passed and was visible from here in Waterford. The shuttle has seperated from it but could not make out the two separately, they were too close together. Tomorrow night both should be visible.

Hiya Beeker , how are things , lovely pass here in Cork too , had out the binocs and could easily see them apart , theres another pass at 11;16pm overhead , but probably be in shadow ;)

Stargate

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    Hiya Beeker , how are things , lovely pass here in Cork too , had out the binocs and could easily see them apart , theres another pass at 11;16pm overhead , but probably be in shadow ;)

Stargate
    Good stuff, I could only see the one, Eyesight must be failing:(

Well , i was using the binocs Beeker , by the way Jupiter looks fab at the moment , just up above the trees here low in the south , in the binocs the moons are all spread out nicely , really nice and the sky is so clear , dont know if i`ll get out the scope ,i might if the weather holds up , i have to get off and get something to eat ;)

Stargate
    ps my keyboards gone for a sh^t , bin time :D ,

Well , i was using the binocs Beeker , by the way Jupiter looks fab at the moment , just up above the trees here low in the south , in the binocs the moons are all spread out nicely , really nice and the sky is so clear , dont know if i`ll get out the scope ,i might if the weather holds up , i have to get off and get something to eat ;)

Stargate
    ps my keyboards gone for a sh^t , bin time :D ,
    Yeah skies clearing up nicely here right now and the forcast is great for the next few days, we should get clear skies:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Yeah skies clearing up nicely here right now and the forcast is great for the next few days, we should get clear skies:)

gonna grab the scope so for an hour or two so , and see if Jupiters detail is any good tonite ;)

please dont rain !!

Stargate

1 hour and the night dew was unreal , had to call it a night Beeker

Hope its clear for the ISS + SS pass tomorrow night

Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

The ISS and space shuttle should be visible tonight if the weather stays clear, which it is forecast to. After the last week i wouldnt have thought that possible.:)

Here are the times and direction

ISS 09/08:34 PM Duration:3 minutes Approach 11degrees above S
    ISS 09/10:08 PM Duration:1 minutes Approach 10degrees above WSW

8:34 seems a bit early but you never know. Hopefully it will be dark enough for us to see it.

Bodan wrote: »
    The ISS and space shuttle should be visible tonight if the weather stays clear, which it is forecast to. After the last week i wouldnt have thought that possible.:)

Here are the times and direction

ISS 09/08:34 PM Duration:3 minutes Approach 11degrees above S
    ISS 09/10:08 PM Duration:1 minutes Approach 10degrees above WSW

8:34 seems a bit early but you never know. Hopefully it will be dark enough for us to see it.

Yeah should be dark enough, sunset is at 20:02 here in Waterford, so around the same time for the rest of Ireland. Hopefully the clouds will stay away.

1 hour and the night dew was unreal , had to call it a night Beeker

Hope its clear for the ISS + SS pass tomorrow night

Stargate
    Pity about the dew, looking good for tonight:)

Just saw the Shuttle and ISS pass directly over Jupiter, beautiful clear sky just magic:)

Another great pass just now 22:08. Clear skies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Yep, they seemed to just disappear into thin air that time as they entered into Earth's shadow (their weird version of 'nighttime' which lasts for about 40 minutes!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Yep, they seemed to just disappear into thin air that time as they entered into Earth's shadow (their weird version of 'nighttime' which lasts for about 40 minutes!).

Yeah,got about 30 seconds of it and the she vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Two beautiful passes here in the West aswell last night-the first one was spectacular as it passed over Jupiter. Amazing stuff.

I missed it last night, even the 10:08 pass. I was watching the football and forgot all about it. :( doh!

I'm more looking forward tonight's pass as both of them appear longer in the sky. AT 4 minutes it is one of the longest views we can get of them flying over. I think 5 is the max.
    Shuttle 10/08:56 PM Duration:4 minutes Approach 10degrees above SSW
    Shuttle 10/10:30 PM Duration:1 minutes Approach 10degrees above WSW

ISS 10/08:58 PM Duration:4 minutes Approach 10degrees above SW
    ISS 10/10:32 PM Duration:1 minutes Approach 10degrees above WSW

The Weather could be a bit iffy

eurir_sat_200909101300.jpg

I'm hoping that big cloud stays away long enough for a clear pass. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Sorry im new to all this, but if i look out tonight at the above times i'll see something provided the sky is clear. What exactly have i too look out for ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

airhorn wrote: »
    Sorry im new to all this, but if i look out tonight at the above times i'll see something provided the sky is clear. What exactly have i too look out for ?

Thanks

Look for 2 lights in the sky,essentially they'll look like moving stars. The first one will seem dim,that's the Space Shuttle Discovery. Following behind it will be a brighter light,that'll be the International Space Station.

'Twas a nice pass tonight,loving the clear skies atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Really was brilliant..
    First time i've managed to catch them here in Kildare Town.. there is always some cloud or other drama which makes me miss them...

Gotta love the clear skies....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very good pass there alright, thought the shuttle was the ISS at first then the station came tearing along after it, going to try get the scope on it tommorow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very nice pass there alright, going to try and get the scope on it the next night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

what time exactly, and where to look?
    edit: will the 10:31 pass be over jupiter? is this the big bright star?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

one of the clearest passes I've seen. I only barely made it out with the camera to catch the ISS though.

3907064751_a33e735a9b.jpg

As others have said, the view tonight was awesome. I was surprised at the different levels of brightness between the two. The Shuttle was clearly dim lit compared to the ISS.

I'm looking forward to the next pass at 10:30 !!:)

electron wrote: »
    what time exactly, and where to look?
    edit: will the 10:31 pass be over jupiter? is this the big bright star?

The Shuttle will pass at 10:30 and the ISS will pass at 10:32. And yeah, both of them are going to pass near to Jupiter, in the sky.

Jupiter is the really bright planet in the south. If you are unsure which way the south is, The plough is in the north so it will be directly opposite it, in the night sky. And both Orbiters should come into view on the right hand side of Jupiter, from your vantage point.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Very good pass there alright, thought the shuttle was the ISS at first then the station came tearing along after it, going to try get the scope on it tommorow night.

Some guys have all the luck with the drive on the scope Thargor haha , dont think i`ll try that just yet with the C8-N lol :D:D

Advertisement