Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Just saw the pass. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just caught the station myself, missed the shuttle. pretty cool :D
    Will we see this again tommoro night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Missed it and I was looking at Jupiter and I went outside at 10:28 WTF:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

OMG I've completely forgotten about the ISS in the past week! It's back at sociable hours now. Will I get a look at Discovery tomorrow? What time's it landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

bugger - saw nothing that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I *think* if you live in a built up area, those really short passes are harder to see, because they are the furtherest away ,and closer to the horizon. (thats my guess)

There is another pass tomorrow night at 9:22 of the ISS, which will be 3 minutes long. Everyone should be able to see that if it stays clear.

The first Shuttle landing attempt for tonight has been cancelled due to bad weather, if the second one ends up been cancelled too, we will get to see the Shuttle again tomorrow night. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Bodan wrote: »
    I *think* if you live in a built up area, those really short passes are harder to see, because they are the furtherest away ,and closer to the horizon. (thats my guess)

Im in south dublin and yep, its was very faint and very low in the sky alright, in fact a block of houses made me miss the shuttle, i moved my position when i didnt see the shuttle and then spotted the iss.

Nowhere near jupiter though? was it supposed to be?

with the last pass, it first appears in the sky near Jupiter from our view point. On the first pass tonight, they both appeared Higher in the sky where we could see the full approach. I hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i thought jupiter was the one and only bright star in the south, fairly high, 40-50 degrees. was looking at that one (10:28-10:34) and saw nothing.
    wrong star? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Thargor wrote: »
    Very good pass there alright, thought the shuttle was the ISS at first then the station came tearing along after it, going to try get the scope on it tommorow night.

Did you try it lol :D

• Advertisement

electron wrote: »
    i thought jupiter was the one and only bright star in the south, fairly high, 40-50 degrees. was looking at that one (10:28-10:34) and saw nothing.
    wrong star? :mad:

I have no idea where the planet was at the time, sorry! It was a hard pass to see anyway, there are plenty more over the next week to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Santysarah

Went out to see the sky and it's raindown of 'shooting stars'. Me, the dog, wellies, binoculars and glasses on - couldn't see thru binoculars with glasses on so rested them on my head - lost glasses and needed spot lights on a nearby truck to find them (not a torch in arms reach!) - thank you neighbour. Think I might have seen somethin but I reckon if 'I think' I seen it, then possibly I didn't - reckon I'd know - ah well I tried!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Santysarah wrote: »
    Went out to see the sky and it's raindown of 'shooting stars'. Me, the dog, wellies, binoculars and glasses on - couldn't see thru binoculars with glasses on so rested them on my head - lost glasses and needed spot lights on a nearby truck to find them (not a torch in arms reach!) - thank you neighbour. Think I might have seen somethin but I reckon if 'I think' I seen it, then possibly I didn't - reckon I'd know - ah well I tried!;)

If you did, it must be a miracle, because you're nearly a year late!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Santysarah

Stargate wrote: »
    Did you try it lol :D
    I'm very new to this site so have no idea how it works - I was aware of the magic that was planned to happen in the sky tonight but it ended up a bit of a Laurel and Hardy task mo for me lol - If you have the time at some stage I'd really appreciate help from anyone on how you can interact with other members on this site - Santysarah in Loais, Ireland.
    Thanks in advance :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Santysarah wrote: »
    I'm very new to this site so have no idea how it works - I was aware of the magic that was planned to happen in the sky tonight but it ended up a bit of a Laurel and Hardy task mo for me lol - If you have the time at some stage I'd really appreciate help from anyone on how you can interact with other members on this site - Santysarah in Loais, Ireland.
    Thanks in advance :)
    Hi Santysarah! good to have you here. You will find lots of useful information here and some great people with a wealth of knowledge on Astronomy and space. Never be afraid to ask a question as this forum is for all levels of knowledge and we all learn from each other. Every question will be answered. I have learnt a lot from the people here. Just check the dates on the posts to see if they are up to date on events in the sky from meteor showers like tonight to passes of the Shuttle or the Space Station.
    Hope you stick around:)

Beeker :):pac::pac:

Advertisement