Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

It's pretty confusing isn't it? I'm guessing one is taking account of DL savings, while the other isn't.

I'll be watching this anyway, it even says that it's T- 39 min on the actual clock in the video, too.

@Thargor: I think it takes about 7/8 minutes to come into view in Ireland. And it'll go relatively high above the horizon, too; perhaps 30-45 degrees (I think).

Theres a 45 minute hold scheduled for final polling, and another 10 minute at T-20 and T-9, so thats the extra 55 minutes

efla wrote: »
    Theres a 45 minute hold scheduled for final polling, and another 10 minute at T-20 and T-9, so thats the extra 55 minutes

Ah ok, thanks.

I don't particularly trust the clocks they've up. I think I'll just watch NASA TV and when I see the launch I'll know for sure.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right, I see now, thanks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

It'll be visible 18 minutes after Launch not 8 afaik. Looks like the weather is going to play ball on the far side of the Atlantic. Nasa is optimistic of a launch tonight. Question is whether it will play ball for us here. The midlands and Connaught looks like they will get lucky but its touch and go for the rest of us. Metcheck forecasts only 6% clouds for me in Bray. However The UK metoffice Sat images show a big chunk of cloud over the east coast at the moment. I am hoping the clear area just arriving at the coast off Waterford and Wexford will track up the east coast in time for me.

Calibos wrote: »
    It'll be visible 18 minutes after Launch not 8 afaik. Looks like the weather is going to play ball on the far side of the Atlantic. Nasa is optimistic of a launch tonight. Question is whether it will play ball for us here. The midlands and Connaught looks like they will get lucky but its touch and go for the rest of us. Metcheck forecasts only 6% clouds for me in Bray. However The UK metoffice Sat images show a big chunk of cloud over the east coast at the moment. I am hoping the clear area just arriving at the coast off Waterford and Wexford will track up the east coast in time for me.

Clear skies to the horizon in Maynooth for now. Will Endeavour be visible during the second ISS pass at 00:26 or is does it take longer to enter orbit?

• Advertisement

Clear skies to the horizon in Maynooth for now. Will Endeavour be visible during the second ISS pass at 00:26 or is does it take longer to enter orbit?

No. Assuming Launch at 11:51pm our time + 18 minutes to get from Florida to here, we should see it in our skies at approx 12:09am. So we'll see the Shuttle about 15 minutes before the ISS.

No. Assuming Launch at 11:51pm our time + 18 minutes to get from Florida to here, we should see it in our skies at approx 12:09am. So we'll see the Shuttle about 15 minutes before the ISS.

How about later passes, orbit lasts 18 hours right?

How about later passes, orbit lasts 18 hours right?

No more passes till tomorrow night after the 12:25 one according to Heavens Above.

The times for tomorrow night, if anybody's interested, are 23:15:30 (start) - 23:18:25 (max. alt.) - 23:21:19 (end).

The max. magnitude will be ~ -3.3 (brighter than tonight).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 caislean6

Have I missed it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭squonk

What path will the shuttle take? Presume it's W-E but any idea how high inthe sky to look at just yet?

caislean6 wrote: »
    Have I missed it?!

Nope, you haven't.

Time to look out for the Shuttle: 00:07 - 00:12.
    For the ISS: 00:25 - 00:31.

It'd be great if a forum mod could put the times in an announcement at the top of the forum so people could see?

No more passes till tomorrow night after the 12:25 one according to Heavens Above.

It shouldn't have docked before the 23:15 pass though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

caislean6 wrote: »
    Have I missed it?!
    No. :)

Viewing conditions in the south-west are very poor ATM. Overcast cloud. Unless it clears up in 30 minutes or so there's no hope :(

Link to nasa tv

It shouldn't have docked before the 23:15 pass though?

It'll take a few days to catch up with the ISS believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

according to sky, 40% chance of good weather for launch.

Grrggghh!!:mad:

Sat image just updated. Doesn't look like the clearish patch will make it to Wicklow in time. Looking good for Waterford and Wexford though.

Nice to see 50 people browsing the forum at the one time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It'll take a few days to catch up with the ISS believe it or not.

Due to dock wednesday.

• Advertisement

Still no-go, new northern storm seems to have popped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Terrible cloud here again in Kerry,And weather looks OK in FL for launch!

30 mins if it goes ahead?

Edit:Now that they've changed cameras weather not looking good!

The sky is lovely and clear here in Galway, anyway. Let's hope it'll hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

sorry but just so Im clear:

Shuttle launch at 11:51pm
    We'll be able to see it from 00:07 - 00:12 and we can see the ISS from 00:25 - 00:31?

Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

So whats the story then? We wont be able to see it now becuase of the ****e weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What's the T- time lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

26 mins

NASA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks. I'll just pop outside to see if the sky looks any good. West direction right?

The weather doesn't look too good on NASA TV...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Semi clear skies overhead here (clear in the part of the sky needed in the next hour)

Advertisement