Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

efla wrote: »
    Poor crew, it must be frustrating. Looks like it may run to wednesday

Yeah and it takes ages to get them back out. :(

Reasons given for non launch
    Lightning : Red
    Anvil Clouds : Red
    Field Mills : Red

About Field Mills
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=2194

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

JoseJones wrote: »
    Whatever about the crew, the poor guy stuck on the ISS waiting to come home!

And I think there is a first-time flyer in the crew :)

Just announced 48 hour turnaround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

48 hour scrub

wednesday is launch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

How about later passes, orbit lasts 18 hours right?
    No orbit takes 90 mins. Latter passes will not be visible. We only see it when it is still in sunlight and we have gone into darkness. during the next pass it would also be in the earths shadow.
    Launch off now until Wednesday night at 23:03 So should be visible at about 23:21.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Changed again Wednesday at 6.03 pm EDT for next attempt. (23.03 for the Irish)

If they don't make it on Wednesday, will they have to postpone until end of July ? I think the ISS is due a delivery from a Russian Freighter craft.

Does anyone know why the Irish media totally ignore the launch and numerous sighting oppurtunities that the Shuttle and Space station offer.

Think of the hours of free programming RTE or TV3 could get by covering launch and landing, all they have to do is play the NASA TV feed. And the newspapers could publish the sighting oppurtunities daily.

As far as I know NASA do not charge for any of the information feeds, from the web or TV, come on Ireland lets get with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

JoseJones wrote: »
    Whatever about the crew, the poor guy stuck on the ISS waiting to come home!
    He wont be too pushed about getting home. He wont get the chance to go up again so he may as well enjoy the few extra days.

Beeker wrote: »
    No orbit takes 90 mins. Latter passes will not be visible. We only see it when it is still in sunlight and we have gone into darkness. during the next pass it would also be in the earths shadow.
    Launch off now until Wednesday night at 23:03 So should be visible at about 23:21.

I meant the time from shuttle launch to ISS dock

Tuesday at 6.03 pm EDT for next attempt. (23.03 for the Irish)

Does anyone know why the Irish media totally ignore the launch and numerous sighting oppurtunities that the Shuttle and Space station offer.

Think of the hours of free programming RTE or TV3 could get by covering launch and landing, all they have to do is play the NASA TV feed. And the newspapers could publish the sighting oppurtunities daily.

As far as I know NASA do not charge for any of the information feeds, from the web or TV, come on Ireland lets get with it.
    Not considered news any more! But the death of a singer was?

I meant the time from shuttle launch to ISS dock
    Oh sorry, it takes about 70 hours

Beeker wrote: »
    Oh sorry, it takes about 70 hours

Ah right, I was wondering if we would be able to view it trailing the ISS if the time was right, like progress last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Typical though. Would be visible about now over Ireland. I just looked outside. Its effing clear!! THe clear patch did arrive in time after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Changed again Wednesday at 6.03 pm EDT for next attempt. (23.03 for the Irish)

If they don't make it on Wednesday, will they have to postpone until end of July ? I think the ISS is due a delivery from a Russian Freighter craft.

Only the 24 hour news channels consider it newsworthy now,sadly RTE/TV3 would only give the shuttle programme coverage when there's a serious incident.

Ah right, I was wondering if we would be able to view it trailing the ISS if the time was right, like progress last night
    Sure you can see it trailing the ISS for the first 3 days after launch and again for a day or two before landing after they undock.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Only the 24 hour news channels consider it newsworthy now,sadly RTE/TV3 would only give the shuttle programme coverage when there's a serious incident.

Too true. Where would we be without the internet

Press conference in 45 mins on nasa tv. Great to have flexible work hours :)

They're following the close out crew too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah it's a pity spaceflight become "routine". Must be abit depressing for the people who put all the hard work into it and only get noticed when there are failures. Instead, RTE decides broadcasting a movie we've all seen at least twice and as old as the hills and an ancient re-run of 24.

I got good views of the ISS through my scope there, at least that was some consolation.

It's such a pity, the sky is absolutely cloudless where I am now. With my luck it'll no doubt be overcast tomorrow.

I got good views of the ISS through my scope there, at least that was some consolation.

It's such a pity, the sky is absolutely cloudless where I am now. With my luck it'll no doubt be overcast tomorrow.

What scope are you using if you dont mind my asking? I got a look with the binos just there, but I'm wondering if its possible to resolve any detail with a scope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I just popped outside for a smoke and had a gaze upwards while not really knowing what to look out for or where but happened to see a shooting star - which was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doud

I just popped outside for a smoke and had a gaze upwards while not really knowing what to look out for or where but happened to see a shooting star - which was nice :)

You most likely saw the ISS station going from west to east :)

• Advertisement

What scope are you using if you dont mind my asking?

A Meade ETX-125PE. It isn't the biggest in the world but it does all I want it to do (for now), and it's nice and handy to set up. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Celestron CPC-1100 in the next year (or something similarly sized).

Edit: As for detail. With the scope I'm using you can make out some vague detail (cross-ish shape). If you use something larger it's possible to make out a lot of detail (especially with photography).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Great view of ISS tonight from beside Pheonix park, followed by a shooting star and a satellite all within 5 mins. No mistaking the ISS though, have never seen anything like it before, well cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doud

sparkzter wrote: »
    Great view of ISS tonight from beside Pheonix park, followed by a shooting star and a satellite all within 5 mins. No mistaking the ISS though, have never seen anything like it before, well cool.

I stopped staring after seeing the ISS, was really sleepy, sorry Cartoon Head, thought you were mentionning the station, seems you were lucky then :)

Cheers, DouD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Beautiful viewing conditions here tonight. Could see the full sky. Why couldn't they have scheduled to today? :(

jumpguy wrote: »
    Beautiful viewing conditions here tonight. Could see the full sky. Why couldn't they have scheduled to today? :(

Its not all for nothing, I caught a few meteors earlier! If it clouds over tomorrow I'm going to cry

Yah it's very annoying! The sky where I am is perfectly clear.

I caught the pass of the ISS and a couple of meteors, anyway. Let's just hope it's as clear tomorrow night.

Go to fuel external tank, looks like a possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Has the shuttle been launched yet?

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Has the shuttle been launched yet?

Nope, it'll lauch at 23:03 tonight (hopefully) and it'll start to be visible here between 23:20 and 23:22.

(P.S. It'd be great if a mod from here could put the details in an announcement? There was nearly 100 people on this forum on Monday night, I'm sure most of them were just looking for the time and direction from which the Shuttle would have been visible.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

fingers & toes crossed for clear skies!!!

Advertisement