Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Raining on NASA TV now.

Must have just been a shower, haven't seen any since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

kleefarr wrote: »
    Must have just been a shower, haven't seen any since.

They've gone into a phase 2 lightning warning,basically everyone around pad 39a will have to stop what they're doing and sit tight 'til it passes. Endeavours crew are due to hit the astrovan shortly.

Lol. It's pouring down now!! You can hardly make out the orbiter on NASA tv!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Any ideas on a good place to watch this in south Dublin? Or would it not make much difference?

• Advertisement

Any ideas on a good place to watch this in south Dublin? Or would it not make much difference?

Just get as far away from light pollution as you can, really. Also, somewhere with a low horizon.

As for a specific area? I don't have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HiTecRedneck

Gotta love that bus that they ride out to the launch pad on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Just get as far away from light pollution as you can, really. Also, somewhere with a low horizon.

As for a specific area? I don't have a clue.

Any idea of direction/alt? I'm assuming the nasa monday figures are out of date, is it still southern horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Dun Laoghaire? Near the pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just got back to this. In the White Room now...wonder why it's white...Is the weather still bad over there?

IT BETTER LAUNCH. Clear skies here now, perfect viewing conditions. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

is there supposed to be sound in the nasa tv stream? im getting none

efla wrote: »
    Any idea of direction/alt? I'm assuming the nasa monday figures are out of date, is it still southern horizon?

I'm not exactly sure to be honest. It'd be the same direction/alt as what was predicted for Monday (I'd assume); but I wouldn't go by the NASA website (I'm not sure if they've updated Monday's figures, like you say).

I'm sure somebody will post what direction/alt to look.

is there supposed to be sound in the nasa tv stream? im getting none

Watch it on http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts127/status.html,there's a commentary on there too.

Met put up the satellite images...midlands is best, north, east and south east areas are lookin bad. South west looks good. :D Hows visibility where everyone is?

EDIT: Sat images in the US clearly show the clouds they're on about in the north-east. Image.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Met put up the satellite images...midlands is best, north, east and south east areas are lookin bad. South west looks good. :D Hows visibility where everyone is?

Bad now, but only cumulus which have tended to clear quickly with the evening cooling the last few nights. Hope so!

lordlucan - it goes silent for minutes at a time

efla wrote: »
    lordlucan - it goes silent for minutes at a time

I watch it on spaceflight now so when there's nothing doing i can listen to the commentary team there ramble on with their guests.

Come launch time i'll whack sky news active on and watch it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hi All ,

Weather in Cork at the moment , fairly cloudy , fingers crossed for tonight .
    Wouldnt be nice just for ONE time in this country the weather would allow us to actually see something without having to worry about cloud cover :D

Regards
    Stargate
    Cork

Looks like they're strapped in on Nasa TV.

I love the NASA shop talk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Clear over Bray at the moment which is good both for the Shuttle and for Rattle and Hum playing in the seafront for the Bray Festival :D

Cloud is in patches over the country. Might get lucky tonight!! Fingers Crossed! :D

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Clear over Bray at the moment which is good both for the Shuttle and for Rattle and Hum playing in the seafront for the Bray Festival :D

Cloud is in patches over the country. Might get lucky tonight!! Fingers Crossed! :D

I'm about the same location as yourself - WSW-E for viewing later right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What direction should I be looking lads? In Tallaght at the mo...

Hopefully will see it in spite of light pollution...

Alarm set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dave! wrote: »

Face the Dublin Mountains and you'll see it start in the West to your right traveling right to left over the Dublin mountains about 40º high and disappearing in the East to your left. 40º is your fist held at arms length at the Horizon x4. (4 stacked fists)

Dave! wrote: »

If I'm wrong, please correct me astronomy buffs. NASA haven't updated their servers to account for Monday's scrub. I advise to look out for the ISS's pass at 10:05 PM heading WSW - East. The shuttle should be going in about the same direction. Go to www.heavens-above.com and enter your own personal co-ordinates and find out where it's passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Can someone please clarify what time it should be passing over

In West Limerick and clear skies at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Green on all weather constraints :D

445279.ie wrote: »
    Can someone please clarify what time it should be passing over

In West Limerick and clear skies at the moment

ISS: 22:04 - 22:10; max. brightness: ~22:07
    Shuttle: It'll come in view around 23:20, and last several minutes.
    For both, they'll rise ~WSW and set ~E.
    The altitude of the ISS will be ~60 degrees. Altitude of the Shuttle will be ~40 degrees.

(Any chance of getting that into a forum announcement mods? A lot of people are going to be coming onto the forum looking for those details.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

So what time will I be able to see this in Dublin? 11.30 or 12.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How come the two clocks on the nasa site have different times? The STS-127 Clock is at over an hour and the "official one is at less than 30 minutes.

Is it still 11pm launch?

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    How come the two clocks on the nasa site have different times? The STS-127 Clock is at over an hour and the "official one is at less than 30 minutes.

Is it still 11pm launch?

Launch at 23:03.

The official clock has holds built in (it'll stop at various times). The other clock is just a direct countdown.

Advertisement