Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

They are very optimistic at Nasa about the weather for the Launch. Not so optimistic myself about our weather though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ScumLord wrote: »
    How come the two clocks on the nasa site have different times? The STS-127 Clock is at over an hour and the "official one is at less than 30 minutes.

Is it still 11pm launch?

The NASA countdown clock will stop any minute now at the T-20 mark. It's still a 23.03 launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I dont suppose any of you kind folk could tell me if this will be visible from Belfast? Its slightly cloudly, hopefully it will move on....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Launch at 23:03.

The official clock has holds built in (it'll stop at various times). The other clock is just a direct countdown.
    Oh right I was reading about those holds didn't realize they actually stopped the clock. Cheers!

Archimedes wrote: »
    I dont suppose any of you kind folk could tell me if this will be visible from Belfast? Its slightly cloudly, hopefully it will move on....

If the weather stays clear you should be able to see it as easily as us further south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

ISS: 22:04 - 22:10; max. brightness: ~22:07
    Shuttle: It'll come in view around 23:20, and last several minutes.
    For both, they'll rise ~WSW and set ~E.
    The altitude of the ISS will be ~60 degrees. Altitude of the Shuttle will be ~40 degrees.

(Any chance of getting that into a forum announcement mods? A lot of people are going to be coming onto the forum looking for those details.)

Thanks JammyDodger, was just wondering because on the radio this evening they said approx 23.20 about 18 mins after launch.

But on NASA TV they're showing -19 mins to launch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Calibos wrote: »
    They are very optimistic at Nasa about the weather for the Launch. Not so optimistic myself about our weather though :D

Clear skies to the west from Maynooth

Announced window close at 23:09 GMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If the weather stays clear you should be able to see it as easily as us further south.

Cheers for that JD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

guys, on nasatv i can get the audio but no video feed? do i need to download certain plugins or something??

efla wrote: »
    Clear skies to the west from Maynooth

Same here in Lucan,cloud has thinned to thin wispy clouds now,looking pretty decent.

• Advertisement

Hadouken!! wrote: »
    guys, on nasatv i can get the audio but no video feed? do i need to download certain plugins or something??

Theres lots of silence if no there isnt any radio activity

As an aside, some potentially excellent noctilucent clouds to the northwest

Hadouken!! wrote: »

Try playing it in real player or windows media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Damoedge

SATELLITE SIGHTING INFORMATION FOR DUBLIN:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

Above link gives all the info you need to know about sighting the ISS and shuttle over dublin

for rest of ireland:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

lord lucan wrote: »
    Try playing it in real player or windows media player.

Excellent, got it! Thanks man :D

I'm not sure about following the above Damoedge. As far as I can see they're the statistics for a Monday night launch.

Look at my post a few posts up for correct times (Post #178).

Damoedge wrote: »
    SATELLITE SIGHTING INFORMATION FOR DUBLIN:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

Above link gives all the info you need to know about sighting the ISS and shuttle over dublin

for rest of ireland:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

Cheers! Roll on 11.39 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

ISS making pass in about 2 or 3 minutes. WSW - East

445279.ie wrote: »
    Cheers! Roll on 11.39 :D

Be careful! I'm pretty sure they're the wrong times (they're based on a Monday night launch I think).

The correct times are in my post, #178.

OK thanks Jammydodger

I'm I right in saying approx 18 mins after launch

445279.ie wrote: »
    OK thanks Jammydodger

I'm I right in saying approx 18 mins after launch

Yah, that's about right. The launch is scheduled for 23:03, so it should come into visibility at ~23:21.

• Advertisement

Be careful! I'm pretty sure they're the wrong times (they're based on a Monday night launch I think).

The correct times are in my post, #178.

Yeh, they're definately out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

ISS just passed over ...........

i couldnt see it , too cloudy here ,

hoping it will clear up for later ;-)

Regards
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

This link to NASA TV works well in VLCPlayer

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jammydodger deserves a clap on the back tbh. :)

Never seen the ISS in such bright conditions today, first time I've seen it go all the way over the horizon too (usually it enters the shadow before). Hopefully the shuttle will follow the exact same track, I should get the sighting quickly. :D I think tonight is the night!

Could someone please link me to a countdown clock (one with holds and one without holds)? Can't find them on the NASA website. :confused:

still clear skies so looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nice ISS pass. Didn't spot it till the half way point because the sky is still blue. That thing is getting so big now its not just a blob of light. I can actually see its a rectangle in my 15x70 Bino's. ie the Big Solar Panels are giving the bright blob a distinct rectangular shape in the bino's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

80% go with the weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Why do they stop at 9 minutes and then wait until it is actually 9 mins to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Missed the ISS. It was pretty clear where I was but there were a few clouds on the horizon which probably blocked it. Hopefully it will clear more in time for the shuttle launch.

• Advertisement

Both clocks are here jumpguy. It currently shows the normal countdown clock, but if you click on "Official Coundown Clock" it'll give you the one with holds.

Advertisement