Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oh Baby! A nice Clear Patch coming towards me. Looks likes the one you were talking about efla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Why do they stop at 9 minutes and then wait until it is actually 9 mins to go?

Polling flight departments for objections
    Calibos wrote: »
    Oh Baby! A nice Clear Patch coming towards me. Looks likes the one you were talking about efla.

Its still all clear to the west, we should be lucky! The clouds really are getting nice, anyone looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Why do they stop at 9 minutes and then wait until it is actually 9 mins to go?
    There are holds built into the clock so certain operations can be carried out. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/countdown101.html < That's what happens at different holds.
    Missed the ISS. It was pretty clear where I was but there were a few clouds on the horizon which probably blocked it. Hopefully it will clear more in time for the shuttle launch.
    It wasn't clear until it was just past maximum altitude for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

When will the shuttle be visible in Kilkenny:confused:

Im confused lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

For those with Sky Digital, The NASA TV feed is now available on the Sky News red button, lets all hope we get a go for launch tonight.

• Advertisement

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    When will the shuttle be visible in Kilkenny:confused:

Im confused lol.

Get out about 20 past eleven!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How often does the ISS pass over?

kleefarr wrote: »

You get about one reasonable pass (ie at a godly enough hour to wait up for) per day. It passes around 2-3 times per day, then tends to dip into the wee hours as the month goes on. Check the 10 day outlook on heavens above

kleefarr wrote: »
    Around 4 to 6 times a day. It varies. Go to www.heavens-above.com and enter your co-ordinates to find out passes. :)
    It is only visible at later hours though (or earlier hours, near dawn) when the ISS is lit up by the sun, but the Earth it is passing over is still in darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Depends on where you live, if Cork follow the link. You can search from this site

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Had a look out here for the ISS pass but we've got some hazy cloud here which was just thick enough to mean it wasn't visible. :( Hopefully things will be clearer here in an hour for the shuttle launch. I've seen both the ISS and various shuttles pass over a fair few times over the years at this stage but I've never seen a shuttle just after launch and I really want to see this, along with the fuel tank following it (I missed the launch and fuel tank seperation that was visible from this country last year, unfortunately), so fingers crossed. :D

Looks good, no talk about the weather at all (compared to Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

How come NASA TV is about one minute behind Sky News coverage?

Thanks guys.

Looks like the next time is 00:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Saw the ISS i hope the clouds stay away,Not looking good though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Clouding over for me in north dublin at the moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

445279.ie wrote: »
    How come NASA TV is about one minute behind Sky News coverage?

Slower Data route via the internet. "Live TV" online tends to be a bit behind live tv on tv. I'm sure the live tv is a bit behind real live too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Clear skies here in Galway, looking good :D.

If anybody's interested, next ISS passes tonight:
    • 23:39 - 23:44; max. brightness: 23:42; alt.: ~50 degress; mag.: -3.1
    • 01:15 - 01:16; max. brightness: 01:16; alt.: ~13 degrees (pretty crap); mag.: -0.9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

gary82 wrote: »
    Slower Data route via the internet. "Live TV" online tends to be a bit behind live tv on tv. I'm sure the live tv is a bit behind real live too!

oh right, thanks gary82

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The shuttle will be taking near enough the same route as the iss?

Edit:Green on everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HiTecRedneck

Pretty cloudy here in the S.E. Didnt see any sign of the ISS last pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

<10% chance of a weather call-off now!
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    Clear skies here in Galway, looking good :D.

Really? Hmmn not the greatest in the city. Bit patchy though so that's good at least!

Out of curiosity, how much times a year is it possible to see a shuttle launch from Ireland?

Clear skies here too (Limerick).

Anyone got their cameras out?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

jumpguy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how much times a year is it possible to see a shuttle launch from Ireland?

Clear skies here too (Limerick).

According to the Irish Times, it's ony the 2nd time its happened in 28 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Ive just stumbled on this thread... what time can we see it at? Im in Donegal... thanks

Just checked outside, it's a little bit cloudy, but I can see some stars so there is a chance I suppose.

Ive just stumbled on this thread... what time can we see it at? Im in Donegal... thanks

Around 11:20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

clear skys in the northeast so far

Advertisement