Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Tallaght

Options
  • 12-07-2009 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Ive recently moved over to Ireland from the UK to enjoy a new job in Cherrywood.

New employers have kindly put me in a hotel for a few weeks whilst i try to find suitable property to rent.

So ive been looking in all the usual places and although I really wanted Sandyford - there isnt much suiting my needs so ive looked across the south county as a whole for houses.

There seems to be a significantly large amount of houses - that suit what Im looking for - in Tallaght.

Can I ask you guys if there is a reason for the magnitude of these available houses in Tallaght?

Is it not a nice place to live? Is it a bad area? There are TONS of houses and relatively cheap too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a alright area. You have a few bad spots which give the place a bad name, though. Best advice would be to walk near places you consider satying in, at 10pm on a Saturday night: it'll give you an insight on what the place is like. I take it you have been looking via www.daft.ie for places to rent, as opposed to asking random Estate Agents?

Maybe if you put up what you're looking for, the people here may be able to help you out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

Yeh Ive been on daft and let.ie pretty much every nonworking hour for the last week. Heh

Im currently looking for a 3(could go to a 2 bedroom if everything else was right) bedroom furnished house preferably in or around Sandyford with a garden for the kids and a pet friendly landlord as i have a Dalmatian

The familys coming over to join me permenantly on the 20th so I really want to find something before then, it's somewhat difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's a kip, stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

It's not a kip, infact there are some really nice areas in Tallaght. I should know - I lived there until I was 22!
    But I will be honest, there are a lot of bad areas there too, which gives Tallaght in general a bad name.
    The reason there are so many houses/ apartments is because the area was built up alot in the past 5 years. They pretty much built anywhere they could, and are now struggling to fill them all.
    They do seem, on a whole, to be cheaper than other areas. I think this is partially because it does have a bad name, partially because the sheer amount of houses/ apartments now, and partially because it is one of the areas in the south of dublin that is furthest away from the city centre.

Places that I personally would suggest (especially with a family) would be Old Bawn, Bancroft, Millbrook and Aylesbury. These are also good because they are on the outskirts of Tallaght. The further in you get, the harder it will be to get to work in the morning, as traffic can be bad.

If you want to post the areas in which you are looking, I will let you know if it is a go, or a stay the hell away.

Also, I see you would rather stay in Sandyford, does this mean you are working in Sandyford? If so, the commute might be a bit of an issue, but to be honest, ANYWHERE is a bit of a commute in Dublin ;)

If you are working in Sandyford, I would also suggest looking at Ballinteer, Rathfarnham, Templeogue, Knocklyon, and Dundrum.
    It's also worth clicking on 'search by transport routes' on daft, and selecting the Green Luas line (Sandyford line). It will throw up all areas along that route.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Fiii,

Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated.

I am going to be working in Cherrywood - which has a free shuttle bus running all day to and from Sandyford LUAS.

Im in a hotel in Sandyford atm so Ive had a chance to have a look around locally - Sandyford, Dundrum, Stillorgan etc and to be honest roundabout here is really nice so yeh it'd deffinetly be my preference. Although anywhere close to the green line is somethig I'd look into for sure.

I ended up just searching for South county and thats where all the Tallaght houses came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You mention kids, so that's a whole different ball game. What age are they? I ask, as you'll probably be wanting a house nearby a school.

7 and 9 mate so yes Schooling is important.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

RasTa wrote: »
    It's a kip, stay away.

typical yuppie post...

anyway of course theres bad spots in tallaght, like every area. its not the area its the people, you should also look at kingswood or kilnamanagh which are some of the nicest parts

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's a kip, stay away.

Ignorance is bliss I presume?

To the OP.. if you live in Tallaght you will need to get a car to get to Sandyford, it's not on the same LUAS line.

It's not a bad commute, straight down the M50.

Like any large urban sprawl with the population of a small city, Tallaght has good areas and some bad areas. The bad areas make ignorant people assume the whole place is a dive, which is not true.

If you're looking for a 3 bed semi I would suggest that you look in the following areas, which are all nice;

Old Bawn
    Firhouse
    Ballycullen
    Kingswood
    Belgard Heights
    Bancroft
    New Bawn

Firhouse/Ballycullen probably best for access to the M50 for your commute.
    Old Bawn probably best of the nice areas that is closest to the most amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

spockety wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss I presume?

To the OP.. if you live in Tallaght you will need to get a car to get to Sandyford, it's not on the same LUAS line.

It's not a bad commute, straight down the M50.

Like any large urban sprawl with the population of a small city, Tallaght has good areas and some bad areas. The bad areas make ignorant people assume the whole place is a dive, which is not true.

If you're looking for a 3 bed semi I would suggest that you look in the following areas, which are all nice;

Old Bawn
    Firhouse
    Ballycullen
    Kingswood
    Belgard Heights
    Bancroft
    New Bawn

Firhouse/Ballycullen probably best for access to the M50 for your commute.
    Old Bawn probably best of the nice areas that is closest to the most amenities.

id agree with these areas spokety although Firhouse and ballycullen arent tallaght ;)

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    id agree with these areas spokety although Firhouse and ballycullen arent tallaght ;)

True, but they're near enough to Tallaght for the amenities, and handiest for the M50 for getting down to Sandyford. Shouldn't be too much of a price difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Folks, he said hes working in Cherrywood, not Sandyford.

OP, you should add Bray (Co Wicklow) to your searches in Daft.ie, its the next stop southbound on the M50 from Cherrywood (is about 6KM from Cherrywood). Is by the sea and has some lovely parts and of course the Dart is there too. Maybe add the next town southbound - Greystones too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Both Dublin 24 aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Both Dublin 24 aren't they?

like corduff and castleknock are both D15? :D

ntlbell wrote: »
    like corduff and castleknock are both D15? :D

Or Ailesbury Road and Irishtown in D4 ;)

Plenty of good examples of this... every post code got a share of the good and the bad I reckon..

if your driving once your on or close ot the m50 you wont have a problem getting to cherrywood in the mornings. (i work there myself so i know this to be fact)

If your not driving then i guess i would think the OP should also be checking places like cabinteely and loughlinstown, shankill and bray(who also do a free shuttle bus to cherrywood from the dart station)

i cant profress to know much about these areas but im sure others on here can advise what they are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

if your driving once your on or close ot the m50 you wont have a problem getting to cherrywood in the mornings. (i work there myself so i know this to be fact)

If your not driving then i guess i would think the OP should also be checking places like cabinteely and loughlinstown, shankill and bray(who also do a free shuttle bus to cherrywood from the dart station)

i cant profress to know much about these areas but im sure others on here can advise what they are like

Deansgrange could be handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol at alll the Tallaghtforians getting uppity. It is an absoulte disgrace of an area and I grew up in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

lol at alll the Tallaghtforians getting uppity. It is an absoulte disgrace of an area and I grew up in Finglas.

So you've lived in every area in Tallaght then have you? Doubtful.
    There are over 100,000 people in Tallaght.
    Personally I think it is 'disgraceful' that you judge a whole area based on a minority of scumbags. That would be like me judging the entire northside as a whole just because it's known as being 'rougher' than the southside :rolleyes:

I grew up in Tallaght, and I've lived in Finglas.

Neither area is an absolute disgrace, though some parts of each have their share of disgraceful people.

From your posts, it's obvious however that ignorance can be bred in any area.

• Advertisement

Im not from Tallaght and have never lived there but to call it a disgrace of an area is a complete disservice.

theres some areas of tallaght that are no go but there are also some very nice areas in tallaght. You have to remember tallaght is probably the largest or one of the largest suburbs in Dublin so of course your going to get chalk and cheese type estates in different parts of it.

Advertisement