Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor **** Spoiler****

Options
  • 12-07-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

So who takes it?

Fedor v Lesnar, Who wins? 48 votes

Fedor
    0% 0 votes
    Lesnar
    100% 48 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I was going to start a thread about this too but more on the lines of
    "has Brock's victory last night changed your opinion on Brock's chances in a possible fight with Fedor."
    As I personally dont think Brock can bet Fedor yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Fedor has all the experience and the guy is in his prime. I think he takes Lesnar out.

I also thought Frank would have beaten Lesnar, I'd really need to see the fight before I can make judgment on Lesnars improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

before tonight I would of said Fedor would beat Brock but now im not so sure. Mir has one of the best ground games in UFC and Lesnar just completely dominated him never once looking in trouble or even looking like he was breaking a sweat. Lesnar would take Fedor down and do the same. Lesnar is getting better every fight whilst Fedor is not and add to the fact that Fedor wouldn't be used to the octagon and you have a problem. Also am I only one who thought AA was beating Fedor before Fedor got extremely lucky and AA had a moment of lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I was just thinking this last night. This is now THE fight Dana White has to put together, it could be fight of the decade (money wise anyways). The only other one with the potential to match it is GSP\Silva, and I dont think that will happen for at least a year or so.

For Fedor\Lesnar, the potential to build this fight up is amazing. Two (now both) credible champions, two polar opposite personalities, with Fedor being the only man who has a legit claim on Lesnars credibility.

Lesnar's impressed me by being an absolute cock post fight-he kicked into full heel mode the minute he heard people booing, and is now a proven, legit champ. His smack talking and on mic antics are going to make Tito and Frank look like little bo peep and goldilocks, and like it or not, smack talk sells. MMA now has its Tyson, just watch the numbers this is going to draw into the sport.

Compare him to Fedor-complete antithis. Small, plump, humble Russian plumber. If he gets passed Barnett (Im hoping he'll scrape it but its his biggest test to date) he'll have shown he can handle a world class HW wrestler as well as having another ex UFC champions scalp. Its a goldmine for Dana White if he swallows his pride and breaks the bank to reel in Fedor. Or better still, lets the Ferittas do it and saves face.

Regarding the fight itself, I think Fedor will still be too much for Brock, but its a tough one to call after last night. Brock is improving immensly and after each fight is looking like a different fighter. Hopefully Fedor gets him before he improves too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Personally I think brock would beat fedor.
    Not to take anything away from fedor, he has been very impressive over the past couple of years but I genuinely think the UFC is a different level - I think he would be shown up in the UFC heavyweight division.
    Prob get slated for saying that but I dont think he really is levels above everybody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I think this comes down to size difference....what weight does Fedor normally step into the ring at?

Because if Brock outweighs him by the 20+ pounds he outweighed Mir by last night then Brock takes it. Last night wasn't technical Brock just pretty much got on top of him pinned his arms down and punched him in the face. Fedor won't be able to avoid that if he is outweighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wouldn't really favour either guy. Either could feasibly win it and I wouldn't mind what the outcome was, I like both fighters. Although I have to admit that I'd love to see the reaction to Lesnar beating the final saviour of all the internet posters who decry him :pac: I just love the way he gets them so mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Fedor by KO round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

before tonight I would of said Fedor would beat Brock but now im not so sure. Mir has one of the best ground games in UFC and Lesnar just completely dominated him never once looking in trouble or even looking like he was breaking a sweat. Lesnar would take Fedor down and do the same. Lesnar is getting better every fight whilst Fedor is not and add to the fact that Fedor wouldn't be used to the octagon and you have a problem. Also am I only one who thought AA was beating Fedor before Fedor got extremely lucky and AA had a moment of lunacy

The Fedor AA fight has been well analysed on Sherdog. AA didn't land anything of note apart from some grazing hooks and the front kick before the KO. He was pushing the pace I'll grant you that but to say Fedor got lucky is a bit off!

I wouldn't bet my money on Fedor in a fight against Lesnar either. Pains me to say it that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Brock is no joke.

Still, it's Fedor.

He would patiently wait for Lesnar to make a mistake, and he would capitalise on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Wait for brock to make a mistake - mmm I think thats what Mir tried to do last night and ran out of time.
    Sure Brock is new to the sport and only has an ounce of the technical ability of most fighters but he is that much bigger that he doesn't need the technical side just yet.
    Brock to over power fedor - easy.
    Carwin & Cain are the only two out there that could possibly pose a threat purely based on size alone.
    I dont want to see the HW division become a spectacle of size rules, boxing went through that phase and it got boring, quick.

No please don't throw Cain Velasquez into the ring with Brock any time soon, I love CV, he's my future favorite and Brock would hand his ass to him. However, by the time CV is 28 - 30, he will be a heavyweight champion in my opnion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Kazooie wrote: »
    The Fedor AA fight has been well analysed on Sherdog. AA didn't land anything of note apart from some grazing hooks and the front kick before the KO. He was pushing the pace I'll grant you that but to say Fedor got lucky is a bit off!

I wouldn't bet my money on Fedor in a fight against Lesnar either. Pains me to say it that too.

dunno
    AA got caught as usual and if he didnt have
    a weak chin i think he might have beaten fedor
    it wasnt so long ago AA was nearly unbeatable
    in the ufc sadly
    fedor/lesnar i think would be the same as
    mir/lesnar sadly
    i just don't think fedor has the tools to
    stop someone of lesnars stature but then
    again who has?
    cain velasquez isn't ready yet
    neither is shane carwin
    id love so see kongo take him on but
    again once kongo is on his back it's game over
    its a shame really as i was sure it was only a
    matter of time before he was hw champ until
    that loss by heath where he sat on him for
    the enitire third round but that was when
    silvia had the belt of course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What did everyone think of Brock's and Fedor's respective performances against Heath Herring?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sammy83

Would love to see Dana White get Overeem in soon.

Not sure how many fights he has left with Strikeforce, but he'll be an interesting addition to the UFC HW division.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sammy83 wrote: »
    Would love to see Dana White get Overeem in soon.

Not sure how many fights he has left with Strikeforce, but he'll be an interesting addition to the UFC HW division.

Would he leave Strikeforce while he's their champion though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

rovert wrote: »
    What did everyone think of Brock's and Fedor's respective performances against Heath Herring?

6 years is a long time in MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Fedor would take his arm off and put it on his mantle piece.....While i respect Brock after most recent fights Fedor has proven he can adapt to any fighter.All his fights show him adapting to opponent.Lets be fair as well and say that brock holds a game plan that is the same as his 1st mma fight.That makes him predictable.However it is effective at the moment in the UFC......It would be the biggest fight ever in mma if they fought.We can always dream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sammy83

Would he leave Strikeforce while he's their champion though?

I'd say so. Considering that he won the Belt nearly two years ago and is defending it for the first time next month.

I guess it all comes down to the €€€.

shezer wrote: »
    It would be the biggest fight ever in mma if they fought.We can always dream:D

For hardcore fans it might be but for the casual UFC fan no. Most of them have no idea who Fedor is and Dana/Zuffa would have to really push him to get fans interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

For hardcore fans it might be but for the casual UFC fan no. Most of them have no idea who Fedor is and Dana/Zuffa would have to really push him to get fans interested.

Wrong.

Fedor is already very well known. Fedor has been featured on the front pages of both ESPN and Yahoo numerous times. Fox have run a documentary on him and he was featured in time magazine this month.. Its no longer a case of just the hardcore fans knowing who he is..

With the right kind of promotion Fedor/Lesnar as the potential to be the biggest ufc ppv history.

It all falls down to Brocks training and determination. And at the risk of being flamed I would say Fedor isn't as good as people make him out to be. I think Brock could take him fairly easily,Just look at the way he left Mir's face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wouldn't really favour either guy. Either could feasibly win it and I wouldn't mind what the outcome was, I like both fighters. Although I have to admit that I'd love to see the reaction to Lesnar beating the final saviour of all the internet posters who decry him :pac: I just love the way he gets them so mad

In fairness there's internet posters who're mad for Lesnar as well as people who hate the guy.

I've no idea who'll win but another free Setanta jobbie and I'll be happy as :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,820 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It all falls down to Brocks training and determination. And at the risk of being flamed I would say Fedor isn't as good as people make him out to be. I think Brock could take him fairly easily,Just look at the way he left Mir's face.

Wont flame ya haha, but I it would not be an easy fight for Brock, he won't be able to just lie on top of him throwing hammerfist.

If the two were fighting, I'd nearly put down a bet that Fedor would choke him out, just because he can and no one else could!! :eek:

Dana was funny at the post fight press conference certain he would be signing Fedor and Brock would be first fight. I'd say Fedor is just laughing at him, he doesn't have to prove a thing and dana wants him so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Just a reminder, folks:

Fedor: 30-0
    Brock: 4-1

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    In fairness there's internet posters who're mad for Lesnar as well as people who hate the guy.

Yeah, but I think there's a bigger reaction from his haters when he wins than there is from his fans when he loses

What is there for Fedor once he's finished with Affliction? I think that Dana's going to convince him that he needs to be in the UFC

Wrong.
    Its no longer a case of just the hardcore fans knowing who he is..

Wrong.

I guarantee most casual UFC fans/ppv buyers wouldn't know who the fighters on the undercard were...never mind a guy who has only fought in other promotions. If the fight does go ahead and does a significant buy rate it will be mainly attributed to Lesnar.

Wrong.

I guarantee most casual UFC fans/ppv buyers wouldn't know who the fighters on the undercard were...never mind a guy who has only fought in other promotions. If the fight does go ahead and does a significant buy rate it will be mainly attributed to Lesnar.

Don't but into the UFC hype machine. Any dude with more than a passing interest will comes across the name of Fedor Emelianenko.

Make no mistake if they fought Fedor will no doubt take top billing in all but the title around his waist.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Don't but into the UFC hype machine. Any dude with more than a passing interest will comes across the name of Fedor Emelianenko.

Make no mistake if they fought Fedor will no doubt take top billing in all but the title around his waist.

Why would Fedor take top billing over the biggest PPV draw in the world?

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Why would Fedor take top billing over the biggest PPV draw in the world?

If he signed with the UFC he obviously would not take top billing as he is the challenger -once he takes the title all bets are off.

Advertisement