Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor **** Spoiler****

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I wonder would they let him carry his WAMMA title to the ring and make a big deal of him being WAMMA Champion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I wonder would they let him carry his WAMMA title to the ring and make a big deal of him being WAMMA Champion.

Interesting question and something I havent seen brought up. I dont it but Id bet Joe Rogan find a way to mention it.

rovert wrote: »
    Interesting question and something I havent seen brought up. I dont it but Id bet Joe Rogan find a way to mention it.

The easiest way to get him over with casual fans would be to make a big deal of him being a current champion, much like WBO and IBF title vs title fights.

I reckon he'd have that strap on his shoulder at the first press conference, saying that he's the real champ. (Ric Flair in 1991 style)

Instant hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stevie8

Would love to see lesnar and fedor, reckon fedor would take it though,he has fought bigger than lesnar plenty of times.
    Another good fight would be lesnar and carwin, that dude rarley lets the fight last the first round, would be a real test to lesnars chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

It all falls down to Brocks training and determination. And at the risk of being flamed I would say Fedor isn't as good as people make him out to be. I think Brock could take him fairly easily,Just look at the way he left Mir's face.

Based on what exactly?

Brock beat up an above average heavy in Mir... nothing more, if fedor and brock are put in together brock will get beaten one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

I'm fairly new to the sport and I would concider Fedor to be a much bigger draw than Brock. I would have to side with Fedor if they were to fight (and hopefully it happens). The record speaks for itself 30-0

I'm fairly new to the sport and I would concider Fedor to be a much bigger draw than Brock.

No he isnt Brock is 10 to 15 times the draw is on Pay Per View yes Brock has the UFC brand name, advertising budget and the undercard support. Brock is a cross over star and Fedor is primarily known just by hardcores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

No he isnt Brock is 10 to 15 times the draw is on Pay Per View yes Brock has the UFC brand name, advertising budget and the undercard support. Brock is a cross over star and Fedor is primarily known just by hardcores.

It's like Hogan and Flair in the 80's!

It's like Hogan and Flair in the 80's!

Not really that had to do with regional and national appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Not really that had to do with regional and national appeal.

Tongue in cheek man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I don't think Lesnar is ready for him just yet, but he's not too far behind right now. Also, I think he'll be ready within just a few fights. His rate of improvement is scary; he exposed himself to no danger at all the whole time he was on the ground with Mir (almost the whole fight), and that is no mean feat against a BJJ black belt. His chin has finally been tested too, and it passed. Okay, Mir and Couture's punches aren't the nightmare inducing sort that Fedor's are, but they're nothing to sneeze at either.

I wish Fedor luck against Barnett, and hopefully he'll then come to the UFC and have one prelim fight before locking horns with Lesnar, who'll hopefully still have the belt after whoever is next, be it Carwin, Velásquez or Nogueira. We'll then have a fight for the ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fedor spoke on this very subject on an interview with Bas Routen on InsideMMA last week well worth tracking down

"yeah that interests me a lot, id definitely be interested"

when ased about move to the UFC he said the terms and the way they were offered were unacceptable today.

Edit for anyone who saw it lmao @ ken shamrock

calex71 wrote: »
    Fedor spoke on this very subject on an interview with Bas Routen on InsideMMA last week well worth tracking down

"yeah that interests me a lot, id definitely be interested"

when ased about move to the UFC he said the terms and the way they were offered were unacceptable today.

Edit for anyone who saw it lmao @ ken shamrock

I really enjoyed that episode too. Bas was so nervous interviewing him.

On Fedor here is a link to the Fedor doc Baddest Man on the Planet:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2320831241594429038&ei=Oj1dSpzdFIq6qQKQuO0b&q=fedor&hl=en&dur=3

Must watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I really enjoyed that episode too. Bas was so nervous interviewing him.

On Fedor here is a link to the Fedor doc Baddest Man on the Planet:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2320831241594429038&ei=Oj1dSpzdFIq6qQKQuO0b&q=fedor&hl=en&dur=3

Must watch

I dont blame him fedor did that interview with the same look as when he fights :D

There was something also in that show about Fedor doing an exhibition with Gegard Mousasi at an M1 event, i know they've trained together so probably a given

Even Affliction are hyping this fight over Josh Barnett and THIER OWN SHOW:
    FEDOR Steals Glory

from Latest Heavyweight Villain

SEAL BEACH, California (July 15, 2009) — Even in promotions he doesn’t fight for, Fedor is the star. In the wake of Brock Lesnar’s current heavyweight win, Fedor Emelianenko is the talk of the town. Leave it to Fedor to steal another man’s fire without ever uttering a word. Lesnar’s bad behavior at his recent victory has his name appearing in all kinds of sports and mainstream media venues. But much of the attention gets instantly shifted away from his WWE-style antics to a potential match-up between him and the wildly acknowledged heavyweight champion of the world—Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko.

It seems that Lesnar is being cast as the MMA villain du jour. And since every villain needs a hero, media and fans alike seem to prefer Fedor as the man for the job. Instead of celebrating Lesnar’s victory or simply descrying his after-fight performance, many are looking for vengeance. And the one to provide his medicine, they have decided is the world’s ultimate heavyweight champ—Fedor. Disgruntled fans angry at his unsportsmanlike behavior think Fedor would teach Lesnar a painful lesson. Fedor’s name has appeared in every article written about the recent match, and in editorials and chatrooms around the world. If this should be a time for Lesnar to bask in his notoriety, it seems that all the attention is going to The Last Emperor. It’s as if Lesnar handed his victory over to the WAMMA Heavyweight Champion on a platter. Everyone, everywhere is talking about Fedor.

Comparisons abound between the two fighters, there’s even a poll asking who would win a bout between Fedor and the bulky Lesnar, with Fedor in the lead. Fedor’s technical superiority is measured against Lesnar’s heft. And the Russian fighter’s cool, collected, and always respectful demeanor stand in contrast to the outburst by Lesnar after his last bout.

Ironically, at one time, the competition rejected claims of Fedor’s dominance in the ring. But now even they have abandoned their claims and openly recognized Fedor’s insurmountable skills. In fact, the competition is being judged by its potential to upset the WAMMA Champ who now fights for Affliction M-1 Global. They couldn’t ignore the facts or the fans any longer. Before Lesnar’s match, an Internet campaign was started to get fans to chant Fedor Emelianenko's name during the fight. The chanting never materialized. But the enthusiasm for Fedor is impossible to disregard.

And the excitement is swelling as all prepare for Fedor’s August 1st battle against “The Babyfaced Assassin,” Josh Barnett, at Affliction M-1 Global’s “Trilogy.” All eyes—including a mass of newly anointed Fedor fans—will be on the ring when the number one and two ranked heavyweight fighters of the world meet to establish who is the best in the world. And whoever wins that match will rein supreme, as the legitimate world heavyweight champion and the most exciting heavyweight in MMA.

GoDaddy.com presents Affliction M-1 Global’s “Trilogy” featuring Fedor vs. Barnett in association with Golden Boy Promotions and Donald J Trump. The show is separated into two live broadcasts on the same night—a one-hour special will air on HDNet starting at 7:30 PM/ET (4:30 PM/PT), followed by the sensational Pay-Per-View event, “Trilogy,” commencing at 9 PM/ET (6 PM/PT).

Tickets for Affliction M-1 Global’s “Trilogy,” ranging between $50.00 and $600.00, are on sale at Honda Center Box Office (1.714.704.2500), and also online at Ticketmaster.com and at all Ticket Master outlets (1.714.740.2000).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Wacker wrote: »
    I don't think Lesnar is ready for him just yet, but he's not too far behind right now. Also, I think he'll be ready within just a few fights. His rate of improvement is scary; he exposed himself to no danger at all the whole time he was on the ground with Mir (almost the whole fight), and that is no mean feat against a BJJ black belt.

The only difference I saw between Lesnars performance at the weekend and the first time he fought Mir is that at the weekend he didn't get excited when he took Mir down and start throwing retarded little punches from the top of half guard. He stayed calm and waited till he got a properly dominant position before throwing the majority of his shots. Now while this is a good improvement, I didn't really see anything major leaps and bounds anywhere else in his game all he did was use his bulk to hold Mir down and lets face it, Mir did f-all from his back in that fight, not once in the first round did he try to regain full guard and he tried no hip movement in the whole fight.
    In the fight, Mir reminded me of one of those big heavyweights who fight at low level sub tournaments, on of those guys who is used to weighing everyone else down in the club and then is totally lost when put on his own back and cant power his opponent out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The only difference I saw between Lesnars performance at the weekend and the first time he fought Mir is that at the weekend he didn't get excited when he took Mir down and start throwing retarded little punches from the top of half guard. He stayed calm and waited till he got a properly dominant position before throwing the majority of his shots. Now while this is a good improvement, I didn't really see anything major leaps and bounds anywhere else in his game all he did was use his bulk to hold Mir down and lets face it, Mir did f-all from his back in that fight, not once in the first round did he try to regain full guard and he tried no hip movement in the whole fight.

I think that's kind of my point: before Sunday morning I never knew that half-guard even was a dominant position! I thought half-guard was little more than half-way to mount. Lesnar clearly had a game plan - get into half-guard, get the headlock in, and smash Mir's face apart. This plan was conceived perfectly for Lesnar's physique and skill-set, and well executed. Would a smaller guy have managed using the very same tactics? I doubt it, but that should not take away from it. If all a fighter needed was size and strength, then Hong Man Choi and Bob Sapp would be unstoppable.

In the fight, Mir reminded me of one of those big heavyweights who fight at low level sub tournaments, on of those guys who is used to weighing everyone else down in the club and then is totally lost when put on his own back and cant power his opponent out of it.

I do agree with this though. Mir totally underestimated Lesnar, and overestimated himself. He seemed prepared to take all that punishment, based on the assumption that an opportunity would drop into his lap. That was not a smart decision; he might have got something on Lesnar if he really worked for it. But I guess we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Didn't Mir say he was expecting Lesnar to stand up as Mir had been slating his stand up fighting ability and Mir thought Brock would want to prove a point??

Absolutely stupid on Mir's part to expect a world class wrestler of 20 years to keep it standing.

Taken from Thumped:

f3tdh3.gif
    2ilf1xy.gif

Love the contrast

If Fedor does got to UFC, would it be his first fight in a cage rather than a traditional ring?

Can't remember ever having seen him in a cage.

• Advertisement

If Fedor does got to UFC, would it be his first fight in a cage rather than a traditional ring?

Can't remember ever having seen him in a cage.

He hasnt but that is not to say he hasnt trained in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think that's kind of my point: before Sunday morning I never knew that half-guard even was a dominant position! I thought half-guard was little more than half-way to mount. Lesnar clearly had a game plan - get into half-guard, get the headlock in, and smash Mir's face apart. This plan was conceived perfectly for Lesnar's physique and skill-set, and well executed. Would a smaller guy have managed using the very same tactics? I doubt it, but that should not take away from it.

That doesn't exactly seem like some fighters great game plan to me-fail to gain full mount, squeeze a guys head and eventually figure "hey I can throw punches from here". Look at the fight, neither takedown that happened actually hit the ground because of Lesnar, the first one was when Mir went for a stupid sloppy leg lock and just fell, the second Mir had his back to the cage and did a stupid sloppy jumping knee to Lesnars face and then fell on his ass. In both cases Lesnar just sprawled on top of him and weighed him down, he did bugger all to try and pass the half guard of Mir who wasn't even using hip movement or trying to move Lesnars free leg down to regain full guard.
    I see this fight like i see Mirs win over Nog, it wasn't a particularly good fight from the winner, just a terribly bad fight from the loser.
    If all a fighter needed was size and strength, then Hong Man Choi and Bob Sapp would be unstoppable.

True, athleticism (speed and movement) and skill are also required.

Advertisement