Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight devision - contains Spoiler

Options
  • 12-07-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

All the talk is going to be about Lesnar & Fedor but thats not going to happen for a while plus Fedor will have to have a couple of fights before a title shot.

The best man out there to beat lesnar at the moment has to be Shane Carwin. He is just as big & strong and a similar fighter as brock. Both rely on pure strength and power rather than falling back on technique.
    Your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I think this will be Brocks next defence - and it should be a right old tear up. Carwin can bang and proved he can take a shot in his last fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

serious spoiler in thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

The best man out there to beat lesnar at the moment has to be Shane Carwin. He is just as big & strong and a similar fighter as brock. Both rely on pure strength and power rather than falling back on technique.
    Your thoughts.

For me they're boring to watch, it's the deadly skills and cool technique that I like about the sport. Watching two gorillas pounding eachothers faces is not all that interesting. Obviously they both have skills but I dont really follow the fighters who rely on their physicality over technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Size=Everything - good spot on the spoiler, I have changed it now. Apologies.

I agree, I prefer the more technical fighters, I mean seeing what game plan the likes of GSP brings to a fight is half the joy of watching him.

This is why I think somebody like Carwin would be a great match for Brock as they are so similar.
    Mir is by far the more technical fighter than brock but because of the size difference he didn't get a chance to show that side of his game.
    So two fights that aren't known for technical fighting, both have skills of their own would make for an interesting fight. Sure it will prob become a slug fest but nothing can be done about that.

I personally think Carwin would win this battle, he has proven to be able to take shots where as brock, although never floored has been shaken by a couple of not so massive hits and a guy like carwin would be able to jump on any shake of the legs.

Interesting times ahead me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

The heavyweight divison in the nufc is sh*te. They need guys like barnett, Yvel, Overeem etc... to make it more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Kazooie wrote: »
    The heavyweight divison in the nufc is sh*te. They need guys like barnett, Yvel, Overeem etc... to make it more competitive.

Love how the winds change on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

All the talk is going to be about Lesnar & Fedor but thats not going to happen for a while plus Fedor will have to have a couple of fights before a title shot.

Your thoughts.
    If Fedor ever fights in the ufc he will walk straight into the ufc. He'll be billed as the man who's beaten two(soon to be 3) former champions, The best p4p mma guy ever, trust me dana white would get fully behind him if he signed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If Fedor ever fights in the ufc he will walk straight into the ufc. He'll be billed as the man who's beaten two(soon to be 3) former champions, The best p4p mma guy ever, trust me dana white would get fully behind him if he signed

That and they have all that footage from PRIDE. A Fedor Countdown show would rule.

TUF 10 is Heavyweights so that should add a bit of freshness to the division. Bobby Lashley is a good bet to be signed soon. Cain Velasquez is a future heavyweight champion. After TUF 10 the division should become exciting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rovert wrote: »
    That and they have all that footage from PRIDE. A Fedor Countdown show would rule.

Did you see the two that aired before the last affliction?

One was a docu style one "the badest man on the planet" i think
    and the other was a highlight reel of his best fights.

Not sure if they got shown over here though.

The HW division isn't some thing i follow much in the UFC, though do enjoy when the big one's come around, where else is there at the moment for heavy weights though? Afliction is on thin ice , not sure who strike force have or have not taken from elite xc (overeem maybe??) much check and see not that i think of it. Dream don't have much of a HW division really either, at least not for the moment, or put on regular enough HW fights to call it a division.

Anyway Fedor (as good as he is) is just one guy, and a fight with brock is just one fight, would take more than that to spruce up the division I think.
    Definately dont think the HW division is as competitive as lower weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Strikeforce has Overeem vs Fabrizio Werdum for the heavyweight title on their big show next month. I'm not sure how Werdum deserves the shot over Brett Rogers, but whatever

The next season of TUF will produce one quality heavyweight in Roy Nelson anyway. Kimbo's good for at least a couple of hyped up "spectacle" fights. There's some who have potential and others who would have had potential if they were younger, but I think it should bring a bit more interest to the division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Forgot about Kimbo in TUF :D

Agreed re: Rogers enjoyed his last few outings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

As I've said numerous times on this forum, I think I still have to refer judgment on Brock Lesnar until he fights someone in the Super Heavy Weight Category like himself. Carwin for example, will be a great test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The funny thing with Brock and Carwin is that I've read a good few times that their real tests will come when they fight a big strong wrestler with heavy punching power. So basically each other

I'm not sure if I fancy Carwin over Velasquez though. Carwin was taken down by Gonzaga I think, was he? If so then Velasquez should have an easier time doing that, and he's the better wrestler from what I've seen

Velasquez vs Lesnar would be very interesting. Velasquez left himself open to a lot of hard punches against Kongo and he would have been in trouble had Kongo been able to get back up, something that Brock should be able to do against him

I'd like to see the winner of Carwin/Velasquez get the title shot before Couture/Nogueira

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I fancy Carwin over Velasquez though. Carwin was taken down by Gonzaga I think, was he? If so then Velasquez should have an easier time doing that, and he's the better wrestler from what I've seen

Velasquez vs Lesnar would be very interesting. Velasquez left himself open to a lot of hard punches against Kongo and he would have been in trouble had Kongo been able to get back up, something that Brock should be able to do against him

I'd like to see the winner of Carwin/Velasquez get the title shot before Couture/Nogueira

Velasquez/Carwin would be great,Kongo really showed the world Velasquez has no chin but really works well under pressure.His wrestling is fantastic and is hardly ever on his back. If Dana is pissed enough at Cro Cop then he could feed him to Lesnar some time in the future. I think the winner of Carwin/Velasquez should get a title fight. Hopefully the fight happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Velasquez is feckin brilliant - real natural - loads of work ethic and real busy wrestling - but just not powerful enough for brock - but would be in with a chance - more so then Mir was last night I think - he's my 2nd fav ufc hw after Brock (don't count Randy anymore coz he's ooooold)

I would love to see Velasquez fight Fedor in about a years time - wishful thinking but that kids only gonna get better and bigger !!

I'm refering to a 240 lb UFC fighter as a kid - Dana style - jaysus he's such a pr1ck

Advertisement