Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part of Sydney to live in??

Options
  • 12-07-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

Leaving on my travels in 3 weeks and get to Sydney the beginning of Sept, just wondering where we should live? as in safe areas with good transport and that.....it's just me and the boyf so any sort of guidance will be much appreciated cos we don't have a notion!

PS how much are we looking for rent on a double room?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

I lived in Concord/Burwood for a while afew years ago, lovely place particulary concord, its in the inner west and not far from the cbd, they are quite a few older Irish living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what are you looking for?
    Close to the beach?
    Options: Coogee/Randwick/Clovelly/Bondi/Bronte (east side), Manly (north)
    inner city and very nice areas: Surry Hills, Paddington, Glebe, Pyrmont, Newtown, Balmain

all these places are very good and have a lot going on, are less than 30mins on a bus to city.

I'm gonna take a stab in teh dark and say you want to be around the beach/party areas, as well your only here once.
    In that case I would say Bronte is a beautiful area, really nice beachs, near the city. If you want more of a party/ lots of fellow Irish then Coogee or Bondi are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

agree with the above. Bronte is fantastic. Likewise Clovelly which is my own personal fav. Although transport isnt great in either.
    Randwick is excellant for transport and grocery shops/food outlets. I would recommend it as a starting point. you can get any no of buses in to the cbd from there and you are only 5 minutes on the bus from coogee beach and from there you have clovelly,bronte ,tammers and bondi all on the lovely coastal walk.
    coogee is lovely and a fantastic beach but to over populated for my taste. and doesnt have same no of buses (but still aload). and the quality of accomadation available to rent isnt the greatest imho.

I think if you are just coming over on a whv I would recommend being very close to the beach. I dont see the point of travelling 12000 kms to live in an area surrounded for k's by concrete. Different if you were living here full time and wanted to buy but when traveling its nice being near the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Well, I'm just back to Melbourne from a week in Coogee, and I have to say I really loved it - in fact I'm thinking about moving there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I lived in Coogee in 1999-2000, absolutely loved it, Bondi wasn't my cup of tea at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lucymoomoo

Yeah, i would prefer to be close enough to the beach but with good transport options to the CBD work wise........nightlife is not that important to us, not the biggest of drinkers so can get over closeness to clubs and that.........would like to be near fellow travelers :)

What's the best way to go about finding somewhere to live once we've picked an area? Been looking at gumtree and seems to be plenty of options......and do apartments come furnished as standard like?

Thanks for any replies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No usually apartments come unfurnished if you go through an agent (if you get your own place)
    there are some very short term options that have furniture .. but usually more expensive
    Best thing is to check out gumtree or domain.com.au
    when you get here

Coogee has good transport to CBD or else randwick, which is about 10mins walk to coogee, that might be ideal, I lived there and was really nice area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pcurls

hey i spent a year in australia 06/07 and made the big mistake of settling in bondi beach, yeah i got an apartment and a job but i missed out on the "australian" experience because almost everyone i met was irish/english, i was in australia 2weeks before i met an australian. true story. plus during the summer nov/dec we were paying $600 for a ****ty two bedroom apartment. i do recommend living at a beach as you're never more than 30mins bus journey from the city and the bus service is great so maybe try living somewhere not as commercial as bondi. my friends lived in coogee and i thought it was a bit of a **** hole to be honest. watsons bay is lovely but because its further from the city the rent is actually cheeper and not as much tourists so have a look into that. if you dont want to be near a beach randwick is really close to the city and cheep enough.

hope you love it as much as i did, dont get stuck in sydney!

Advertisement