Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bach organ works recommendations

Options
  • 12-07-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Looking to listen to some of his organ works but I don't know where to begin there so much of it, I see there is his Leipzig chorales and Orgelbuchlein - good starting point? Any thoughts?
    Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I'd suggest perhaps Clavierubung III—particularly the 'St Anne' Prelude and Fugue in E-flat (they go together but are printed at opposite ends of the collection). Probably my favourite Bach organ works.

Also try the 'Dorian' Toccata and Fugue in D minor (not that ubiquitous bloody Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565!). And the six organ trio sonatas, they're fantastic! (There's a very good and rather inexpensive recording by John Butt.)

Speaking of recordings, I got a box set of the complete organ works as recorded by the fantastic Helmut Walcha a couple of years back for about 12 euro. They're mostly early recordings so the sound quality is not amazing, but the playing is great.

Also, not technically organ works, but try out the 'Art of Fugue'. Walcha has a good recording too, though it's not in the complete collection I mentioned.

Also some of the Fantasias and Fugues, also the Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor. And the Toccata, Adagio and Fugue (despite its weirdness).

Also, check Ton Koopman out on Youtube. He's amaaaaazing.

Enjoy!

Advertisement