Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Day Of Commemoration

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Let me clear this up, was this for Irish men who died on UN service, specifically.

No. It was for Irishmen and Irishwomen who have died in all wars, fighting under any flag, and those who have died on UN service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

prinz wrote: »
    No. It was for Irishmen and Irishwomen who have died in all wars, fighting under any flag, and those who have died on UN service.

Ok. Seeing as it covered so much, I wouldn't have thought it would attract any sort of protests. IMO, people should be allowed to remember the dead in a peaceful and dignified manner without any disturbances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Ok. Seeing as it covered so much, I wouldn't have thought it would attract any sort of protests. IMO, people should be allowed to remember the dead in a peaceful and dignified manner without any disturbances.

Considering Airshows that contain air force display crews and aircraft can attract protests is it really that surprising that there is an left-ist anti-military element int his country ?

I remember the 2006 Easter Rising anniversary parade had anti-US protestors there dressed in orange jumpsuits too, despite the total inappropriateness and disrespect of it.

Granted there were only literally a handful out of the absolute thousands of people who lined the entire route. The right approach was taken at that time, ie not to let them spoil everybody elses event and if they get out of hand arrest them.

You'd think so. However this being Ireland you could never be sure. See above re Tom Crean, the man was an explorer and expedition hero known worldwide, yet there were still a couple of fools to protest at a memorial because he served in the Royal Navy. :rolleyes:. The event as it happened was peaceful and dignified and they did it well, if that was the reason for keeping it hushed then they did the right thing IMO.

Morlar wrote: »
    Considering Airshows that contain air force display crews and aircraft can attract protests is it really that surprising that there is an left-ist anti-military element int his country ?

I can fully understand why there would be a protest at an RAF display. And what are you trying to say when you say ''left-ist"?
    I remember the 2006 Easter Rising anniversary parade had anti-US protestors there dressed in orange jumpsuits too, despite the total inappropriateness and disrespect of it.

I don't remember that at all. Hardly a place to protest to be honest, even if it was directed at the government :confused:

You'd think so. However this being Ireland you could never be sure. See above re Tom Crean, the man was an explorer and expedition hero known worldwide, yet there were still a couple of fools to protest at a memorial because he served in the Royal Navy. :rolleyes:. The event as it happened was peaceful and dignified and they did it well, if that was the reason for keeping it hushed then they did the right thing IMO.

A couple of fools, you'll always have that sure.

It sounds as if it was a sucess, so I agree. But I don't think it was kept hush at all, I think it was just lack of being bothered to publicise it. Those who turned up, cared, and made the effort.

. Those who turned up, cared, and made the effort.

Exactly. It went well. I'd say it was a success.

I can fully understand why there would be a protest at an RAF display.

Not wanting to take this thread off topic we can agree to disagree on that.
    And what are you trying to say when you say ''left-ist"?

I would base that on common sense - anti-military protestors are predominantly from the left. If you don't think so we can also agree to disagree on that too.
    I don't remember that at all. Hardly a place to protest to be honest, even if it was directed at the government :confused:

Well I do remember that as I saw them with my own eyes, dayglo orange jumpsuit dressed protestors, shouting at the top of their voices while kids sitting on shoulders looked on in dismay, they were shuffled right out of there by the guards, I think it was around the dame street/trinity area if I recall correctly ?
    A couple of fools, you'll always have that sure.

It sounds as if it was a sucess, so I agree. But I don't think it was kept hush at all, I think it was just lack of being bothered to publicise it. Those who turned up, cared, and made the effort.

That's possible, I think its equally possible that they were concerned / afraid of the protests that a microscopic minority of airheads / hippies would engage in at the slightest hint of anything military.

That's possible, I think its equally possible that they were concerned / afraid of the protests that a microscopic minority of airheads / hippies would engage in at the slightest hint of anything military.

Or any protest whatsoever. There are protests outside the Dáil on almost a daily basis, could be economic, anti Shell, victims of Child Abuse etc etc.Like I said you get the President, Taoiseach and Cabinet together in one place it's like a massive irresistible magnet for anyone with an axe to grind, no matter how inappropriate that would be.

I can fully understand why there would be a protest at an RAF display. And what are you trying to say when you say ''left-ist"?

Here ya go straight from the lefty indymedia :

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/75488

Check out residents against racism who also got in on the protesting act (believe it or not) the anti-US in shannon crowd, the jumpsuit wearers and the 'Against Irish involvement in war' group too.

I did not see them all on the day but the photos speak volumes, I just saw the dayglo ones. So I think it is safe to say that there would undoubtedly have been protests had this event been more adequately publicised, I believe that this is probably the reason why it was not properly advertised. If you check out those pictures above you may agree.

• Advertisement

Not wanting to take this thread off topic we can agree to disagree on that.

Fine. But I would expect anyone to let those remember dead in peace. An RAF display is in bad taste in this state and I would not only have no qualms with anyone protesting, I would actually support it. A peaceful and dignified protest that is.
    I would base that on common sense - anti-military protestors are predominantly from the left. If you don't think so we can also agree to disagree on that too.

Some of the worlds greatest armies are lefist. The use of the words ''anti-military" is confusing me.

Well I do remember that as I saw them with my own eyes, dayglo orange jumpsuit dressed protestors, shouting at the top of their voices while kids sitting on shoulders looked on in dismay, they were shuffled right out of there by the guards, I think it was around the dame street/trinity area if I recall correctly ?

Wrong place, wrong event. The Gardai did rightly.

Or any protest whatsoever. There are protests outside the Dáil on almost a daily basis, could be economic, anti Shell, victims of Child Abuse etc etc.Like I said you get the President, Taoiseach and Cabinet together in one place it's like a massive irresistible magnet for anyone with an axe to grind, no matter how inappropriate that would be.

True :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Some of the worlds greatest armies are lefist. The use of the words ''anti-military" is confusing me.
    The left wing in this country are anti military. But only certain militaries. Often they're anti British, anti American, anti this, anti that. I very much doubt that their anti Chinese People's Liberaton army or the Vietnamese army or any leftist army out there. The infamous GAAW say they're anti war but from their outpouring it's obvious they're against only certain wars not war in general.

But then you knew that coming from a left wing point of view?

The left wing in this country are anti military. But only certain militaries. Often they're anti British, anti American, anti this, anti that. I very much doubt that their anti Chinese People's Liberaton army or the Vietnamese army or any leftist army out there. The infamous GAAW say they're anti war but from their outpouring it's obvious they're against only certain wars not war in general.

But then you knew that coming from a left wing point of view?

Well you don't see Chinese troops landing in Shannon on their way to Iraq or Vietnamese troops patrolling the streets of Belfast, so trying to label their protests ''anti-military" thing is a farce.

The IAWM don't represent my views at all, and I certaintly won't defend them. They applaud every national liberation struggle in the world except the one that is taking place here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Has anyone seen the topic recently? I'm sure it was around here somewhere. :cool:

Advertisement