Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to save money?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to save money for the past couple of weeks and looking for a safe place to put it. At the moment, its just in a box. Its not a big amount but i would like to add to it. Im not looking for a long term savings plan. Possibly dig into the savings when i go back to college sept 2010.

I have been looking at a couple of banks and they all mention a withdrawl fee. Is this even legal?

What is a credit union or a post office like? I used to save in a post office years ago and that was dead handy. I was able to walk into any post office and take it out when i liked. Would a credit union be similar? Can i start saving in my local credit union and take it out anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

There is a detailed list of best buys for savings accounts here:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90481

You will get zero return or close to zero with a CU.

I am not aware of any banks that charge a withdrawal fee.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some types of account require that you give a certain period of notice before you withdraw the funds, say 14 days, but if you go into the bank and want to withdraw funds straight away there is a fee/penalty for doing so. It's not usually very large, it's more of a deterrent to stop people just randomly taking their savings out. TBH, I'm not aware of very many accounts that charge fees like this anymore though.

Advertisement