Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing grout from walls

Options
  • 12-07-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to remove grout from a bathroom wall. The tiles came off nice and easily, but the remaining grout is a nightmare. I've done about all I can with chisel/ scraping, but there's still quite a bit left.
    I don't suppose anyone has any hints for making it a bit easier?

After I get it off I plan to wallpaper over, so I don't care too much if it's got scratch marks etc. on it.

Also, am I ok to wallpaper over it? In parts the wall is plastered, but in other parts it's a type of wood compound.
    Will the paper stick to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

i had a similar job to do yesterday, removing a section of pebble dash and also the 10mm mortar/render behind it. the chisel was so slow and very tiring.
    not sure what depth the grout is, usually only 5mm? if it's only that deep this might not be any use, but what i did was get an angle grinder (115mm) and run lines up and down in a grid leaving squares at about 15cm intervals. then got the chisel and the squares popped out really easily leaving a clean finish. i recommend a lump hammer with one of those chisels with a hand protector at the top. you can pick up a cheap grinder for €50 at argos/woodies/b&Q/macquillan tools etc.

having re-read your post, i think the easiest (and least tiring) thing to do would be to remove the plasterboard entirely and slab a new one in its place. a new board only costs around €5. if it's a stud wall just pop through with a wrecking bar or hammer, taking care to check locations for cables beforehand. if it's a solid wall the board should prize off at the edges, assuming there is plasterboard there, and not a really thick skim of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

With the greatest respect unless your walls are made of mass concrete the only way you will be able to paper over the tile adhesive is get the wall skimmed when you have as much adhesive off as you can get,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

timmer3 wrote: »

having re-read your post, i think the easiest (and least tiring) thing to do would be to remove the plasterboard entirely and slab a new one in its place. a new board only costs around €5. if it's a stud wall just pop through with a wrecking bar or hammer, taking care to check locations for cables beforehand. if it's a solid wall the board should prize off at the edges, assuming there is plasterboard there, and not a really thick skim of course.

Thanks - that was an option I was thinking of. Because of how the existing hardboard is placed it's not quite that easy.
    Might have to be skimmed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Hang on fjon don't do anything drastic - there is a very simple solution to wall tile adhesive:
    A wallpaper steamer will turn the adhesive to putty and it will lift off as simple as pie.
    If you don't have a wallpaper steamer try a little with a steaming kettle and if you agree it works then hire a steamer. A hell of lot cheaper than replastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hang on fjon don't do anything drastic - there is a very simple solution to wall tile adhesive:
    A wallpaper steamer will turn the adhesive to putty and it will lift off as simple as pie.
    If you don't have a wallpaper steamer try a little with a steaming kettle and if you agree it works then hire a steamer. A hell of lot cheaper than replastering.

That does not work with a polymer based adhesive though, The powder type adhesive that is,.

• Advertisement
Advertisement