Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub to watch The Ashes in Cork City

Options
  • 12-07-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi there, any suggestions where I might go to watch The Ashes on Thursday in Cork. Don't have Sky Sports.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

theres more of a chance of a natue program featuring crickets on in a cork pub then the ashes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corklanger

you'l have to ask a bar man to put it on.................but make sure the pub is empty cause i dont think the locals will fancy watching cricket much

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Just don't be alarmed when other punters ask to have "that $hite turned off" or start shouting "800 years" while waving hurleys in your face. Somwhere like Costigans on Washington St might put it on one of the screens for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Christ!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Or you could try Radio na Gaeltachta - their sports programme on Saturday was talking a lot about "Na hAshes"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

You could go to the pub up in Garyduff sports centre. Top of Clarks hill in Rochestown turn right and it's on the left.
    I'd say that you'd even have a few people alredy watching it up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Flash88

The Old Oak and Mulligans are two good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Mardyke cricket club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Flash88

Mardyke cricket club?
    On the weekdays the mardyke pub opens at 6 so only saturday and sunday are good for the the matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 WarrenMuppet

Hi there,

I was in the BRU bar in McCurtain Street (opposite the Colluseum bowling place) last friday afternoon and there was cricket on the telly there. I think the staff were KiWi's so thet were interested in it. It's a bar downstairs and a hostel upstairs, very, very relaxed place.

Enjoy,

W.Muppet

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I was in the BRU bar in McCurtain Street (opposite the Colluseum bowling place) last friday afternoon and there was cricket on the telly there. I think the staff were KiWi's so thet were interested in it. It's a bar downstairs and a hostel upstairs, very, very relaxed place.

Enjoy,

W.Muppet

Mr Muppet,

Thank you very much, will check it out.
    :)

Actually, come to think of it, I was passing that children's playground in Churchfield about three weeks ago and there was a small group of children playing cricket with a proper bat and stumps and all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I had the most unirish paddy's day a few years ago, i had a house party where i think we watched the finale of the 6N Ireland V Italy having a few bevies.

As soon as the match ended the lads went out my back garden after they found a cricket bat in my garage so a few innings (whats the cricket equivilent?) of drunken cricket, then BBQ. We all sat down to watch the Ireland V Pakistan Cricket World Cup game. I have no idea what the rules were but it was good craic when having a few beers. Anyway we headed into town and went to Cashmans where they were showing the game and watched the end of the game. So playing cricket, bbq, watching cricket probably the least irish activities to partake in on Paddys Day, hey at least we were drunk.

Anyway, moral of the story, Cashmans an old mans pub in the city center showed Ireland playing in the Cricket World Cup so there is hope for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I thought id resurrect an old thread rather than starting a new one but anyhow,

Does anyone know of any pubs which might be showing the Ireland v India world cup match on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Don't know where you are based (I know the OP was in Cork) but Cricket Ireland are encouraging anyone interested in supporting the team to go to the Russell Court Hotel in, I think, Harcourt Street, in Dublin. (On Luas line).

Last Friday they had full Irish available and lunch special with all pints €4 or less. Not sure if they are doing food again on Sunday but staff from main sponsors RSA (formerly Royal Sun Alliance Insurance) will be there so there may be freebies. Don't know about cover charge but I think it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dormy

Picture in echo on thurs of a crowd watching the england game in cork cricket club (which i think is the mardyke) so they will probably be there again on sunday

Mongarra wrote: »
    Don't know where you are based

In the Cork City forum I'd hazard a guess he is in or near Cork City ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ya I live in the city centre and I've no car so any place in the city would be good.

Isnt the mardyke clubhouse belonging to Cork County Cricket? Would it be alright for a randomer to pop in - as in, its not a member's bar or anything.

Good question, hope someone knows the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Lads EVERYONE is welcome and encouraged to come to the cricket club. The more the merrier, don't worry if you've never seen a cricket bat or whatever, just go down :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement