Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mushrooms running wild

Options
  • 12-07-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi people I have mushrooms that have started growing mad in my garden and its driving me mad .

Firstly maybe a stupid question but i heard they can be harmful ? I have 2 young kids and would be worried if they ate them or that.

Anyone know how to get rid of them permanently thanks a mill.

The cause of the problem I think might be with a compost bin I put in the garden in April and since summer started I've noticed the grass isn't great and there are these little flowers growing sorry I don't know the name of them but I remember as a kid i used to catch bees on this type of flower they're purple and are small :confused:

If the bin is the cause of this I will get rid of it because now the grass looks terrible with lots of mushrooms and wild flowers and weeds now where we never had problems like that before.

So anyone any ideas to get rid of mushrooms ? and are they dangerous in any way thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I can't see how the compost bin could be responsible for mushrooms and a dodgy lawn. Have you fertilised the lawn this year. If your lifting all of the grass clippings and putting no nitrogen back the grass is starving and the opportunistic weeds are doing what they do best. The compost bin is stopping a whole load of biodegradable stuff going to landfill and giving you back fertiliser for your garden; it's not the source of your problem.

Mushrooms are fungi and as such they feed off organic material in the soil. This could be pieces of wood, compost, grass clippings anything. obviously the musrooms could be poisonous but so are many of the plants in the any garden. i get them in my lawn occasionally but they never last long and don't seem to have any lasting impact on the lawn.

I woulddn't worry and I wouldn't ditch the bin. it's a good thing keep it up.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you've added wood or large twigs to the compost bin and then used this in the grass, then that's the source of the mushrooms. The wood takes years to compost, so shouldn't be added.
    If that is so, you'll tend to get clumps of them packed tightly rather than single mushrooms. You could try investigate the source by lifting up the area under the mushrooms. If it's a piece of wood/branch/stump, then that's the answer.
    Otherwise, it's natural dispersion of the fungi spores from another source.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

cheers thanks a mill I didnt add any timber to the bin though I have been adding the grass cuttings but I read this was fine is there an anti fungal spray or that i can buy to do away with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We have them as well,small brown mushrooms about the diameter of a 5c piece or smaller.
    I wouldn't worry about them, they will disappear in a week or so by themselves.
    It is just the warm damp weather allowing them to grow.
    I have kids as well and just keep an eye on them on the garden, better to explain to them about the mushrooms and show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When I first bought my site, there was a large perfectly formed ring, about 6 feet wide, of mushrooms at the bottom of the garden. Whenever I cut them with the mower, they'd grow back in the circle. Never dug up the ground to see what might have been underneath to give such a perfect circle of mushrooms. Problem appears to have been solved since the garden was rotavated recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement