Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I did Maths, music and greek and roman civilisation in first year Arts in Maynooth, dropped Greek and Roman in Second year and changed to BMus in 3rd year.

Maths is doable but I think probably easier if you did higher level in the Leaving Cert. Also there are tutors available that give grinds for maths so if you're struggling use that.

Music I loved! If you play piano you are fine you don't need to sing although when you get to final year there will be some classes that involve singing if it's still the same as when I was there but if you do exams through RIAM for piano the singing is pretty much similar to the memory tests/intervals etc on the RIAM exams.

There is loads of choice in the music lectures and the music department is like a little family or at least it was when I was there. It's great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

wrote:
    3) as far as I'm aware, maths in Maynooth teaches from the very basics, so you should be able to catch up if you take maths on.

No ,they absolutely do not teach from basics. The third lecture they give you a test (and if you fail you get put on a course which is online videos which is not very useful because its too long. In lectures you'll frequently find the lecturer skips steps and you'll wonder where such and such came from on the board. Good algebraic skills are necessary .The maths is intense and the homework can take hours to do each week. The current HC maths at leaving has been stripped down to bare essentials unfortunately .If you are doing HC maths go for it but even at that it will be challenging there are workshops available which are really good and help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

BumbleB wrote: »
    No ,they absolutely do not teach from basics.

From an objective point of view, they do start from the basics. They have to. They don't dwell on topics though, which is where it can become a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 simsha

I'm 5 points off for this course, what are my chances anybody know? I won't be able to sleep tonight. Is it possible I get an offer in round two? How many places are there for Arts?! I am going insane thinking about it..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I can't answer your question simsha, none of us really can, but keep calm. You never know what might happen. Points change every year and 5 points isn't a big gap! I know two people who got second round offers so they are possible.

I hope that it works out for you. Keep smiling :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rjmcguinness

Is pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry a good course at NUIM?

I applied there because I enjoy science and I am also planning on doing the GAMSAT after my degree and trying to get into graduate medicine. I heard that it was an alright university, but other than that I haven't heard a huge amount about it.

What is the university like? Is it a good science degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

its an awsome university and an awsome degree.. I go there and Im doing the course... any questions then fire away..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rjmcguinness

I know that in some universities, there are summer placements for research. Are there many research opportunities there?

If there are, do you have to be doing a specific degree or can you just apply?

https://www.nuim.ie/news-events/summer-undergraduate-chemistry-research-awards-sucra-summer-programme-undergraduate-chemistry

it says 3rd year on this but you can also do a 6 week program in second year.. cant do it in first though.

not sure if you need to be doing a specific degree or if you can just apply.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056688553

i also asked about this course before i started it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mullingarman95

I am posting this thread in the hopes of finding out more about my course from anyone that has done it and what the realities of the course entail. My knowledge of the course is limited as it was not one of my first choices and I would like to ask anyone what the course is really like as there is only so much you can get from qualifax and other sites online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shano1996

If thats the course you accept (MH210) I'll see you there on the 17th for reg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

simsha wrote: »
    I'm 5 points off for this course, what are my chances anybody know? I won't be able to sleep tonight. Is it possible I get an offer in round two? How many places are there for Arts?! I am going insane thinking about it..

Congrats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Here are some older threads you should read, the main thing to take into consideration is that the focus isn't on sound engineering/studio recording:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66364297

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68290103

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74294407

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76893788

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Hello i am a student going into 5th year and was wondering what the course is like and how its taught and the difficulty levels in the college?

Id appreciate any info

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Hi all, anyone on here who has either done this course or is considering doing it?
    How was it, what benefits does/ will it have for you?
    Only third year now, just have my eye on this, any input at all would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

There are plenty of computer science courses at NUIM. What sort of stuff do you want to learn? I can point you to the most relevant course for you.

There are plenty of computer science courses at NUIM. What sort of stuff do you want to learn? I can point you to the most relevant course for you.

Something with a lot of coding or like balanced between theory and practical

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

Well, then you can pick any one of them. Just be aware that first year computer science is complete blam. You will basically do 20% computer science and 80% everything else that is not computer science. Its and endurance round, once you get through to second year, you will get to do some fun stuff.
    Your school will probably go on campus during the open days, be sure to ask the CS people a few questions on the day.

Well, then you can pick any one of them. Just be aware that first year computer science is complete blam. You will basically do 20% computer science and 80% everything else that is not computer science. Its and endurance round, once you get through to second year, you will get to do some fun stuff.
    Your school will probably go on campus during the open days, be sure to ask the CS people a few questions on the day.

Well thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    Something with a lot of coding or like balanced between theory and practical

Computational Thinking is lots of maths with some programming.

Computer Science & Software Engineering is the 4 year course with 3 years dedicated course with the 1st year as General Science

marko93 wrote: »
    Computational Thinking is lots of maths with some programming.

Computer Science & Software Engineering is the 4 year course with 3 years dedicated course with the 1st year as General Science

Oh alright i get it now

Oh alright i get it now

I do CSSE myself, if you have any questions fire away.

I do CSSE myself, if you have any questions fire away.

Ok i appreciate that. Was wondering the ratio between theory and practical in csse

Okay well looking at the timetable for 1st Year CSSE, you'll have 3 hours of CS lectures and 3 hours of labs. In the labs you'll be assigned different tasks relating to the lecture material etc.

2nd Year however you'll have 11 hours of lectures(not including Maths) and 9 hours of labs reflecting course material.

Have a look here at timetables and get an idea, http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables

Okay well looking at the timetable for 1st Year CSSE, you'll have 3 hours of CS lectures and 3 hours of labs. In the labs you'll be assigned different tasks relating to the lecture material etc.

2nd Year however you'll have 11 hours of lectures(not including Maths) and 9 hours of labs reflecting course material.

Have a look here at timetables and get an idea, http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables

Ok thanks for the info and link

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Ok i appreciate that. Was wondering the ratio between theory and practical in csse
    It's more theory than practical as in you'll go through the theory quite a bit in depth and then in the lab implement a few pieces. It's not as programming heavy as some of the IT's would be but it gives you the foundation and tools to go off and learn by yourself.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    It's more theory than practical as in you'll go through the theory quite a bit in depth and then in the lab implement a few pieces. It's not as programming heavy as some of the IT's would be but it gives you the foundation and tools to go off and learn by yourself.

I Appreciate more of the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

lemansky wrote: »
    From an objective point of view, they do start from the basics. They have to. They don't dwell on topics though, which is where it can become a challenge.
    They start from basics .they don't teach from basics ,big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

BumbleB wrote: »
    They start from basics .they don't teach from basics ,big difference.

Could you flesh that out please? Genuinely curious, I'm not being snotty.

Advertisement