Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

No-one ever asks about Sociology *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

TheeItcha wrote: »
    communist_party.jpg

That's why no one asks about sociology :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Squaw Crow

Its so pissed poor organized - don't do it seriously. Im changing my course this year- save urself the money and the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

TheeItcha wrote: »

What's Sociology like?

Other than the roleplaying, the feminism, the communism and the focus on "lower class" Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Hey. I am considering doing my accounting masters in NUI Maynooth next year and was hoping to gather some feedback about the course from any current student of the course or any one that has anything to say about it. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

hi im hopeing to do that next year, if all goes well:P

do you know if there are many people that went on from FETAC qualifications?? im doing one in journalism and i know there are 3 places in media studies but is there any chance if u know.. were all the places filled? if you get what im trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

Hey,
    Thinking of this course in NUIM, anybody have any personal advice, information, how they found it, and whats it like in comparison to other social science courses?

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

At the top of this forum there is a thread dedicated to subject advice, you might find that info in there. Good luck with your search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Rozabeez wrote: »
    What's Sociology like?

Other than the roleplaying, the feminism, the communism and the focus on "lower class" Dublin?

Pretty much that...

With a good measure of middle class guilt and a history of thought without liberalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to know whats the course like from a students point of views????

daily timetable etc....

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Hey guys,
    Im hopefully gonna be goin into Arts in September and was thinkin of the subjects to take up.
    Im just wonderin if anyone can tell me some info on the french course.Im doin honours french and got a B in the mocks and would be hopin for the same in the Leaving Cert.Im just wonderin if you think that enough to get by or is it more for the A students.Also if anyone did an erasmus would you let me know what you thought etc that'd be great.
    Cheers,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Hey John,

I study French here in Maynooth and honestly, you'd be absolutely grand with a B. Their acceptance band is anyone who gets a grade of HC3 or above and that is certainly true. Also, if you end up here in Maynooth, you get three weeks to finalise your course decisions, so if you end up not liing French you can drop it within these 3 weeks.

And as for Erasmus, I didn't do it so can't tell you much about it. But hope I've helped you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Yea thanks a bunch.I just didnt wanna go in and everyone else is like fluent!Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DnBMoloney24

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone who is studying this course has any information about it and/or if they would recommend it. Cheers, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Law (BCL) and Arts? Anyone do it? What's it like? Is it very boring or very interesting because I imagine it would be one extreme or the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 aoife24

Is anyone thinking of starting the Foundation year course in Finance, Economics and Business this year?

tigerblob wrote: »
    Law (BCL) and Arts? Anyone do it? What's it like? Is it very boring or very interesting because I imagine it would be one extreme or the other?

Am in first year law. In the first semester you will study Constitutional Law 1 and Contract Law 1. In the second semester you will study Constitutional Law 2, Contract Law 2 and Administrative Law. First semester you will have 4 hours, 2 hours each. Second semester you will have 6 hours, 2 hours of each. Usually you will have 1 hour of tutorials a week. This year the timetable for law was horrible, most notably having 3 hours of law on a friday afternoon.
    I found all 3 modules interesting, in particular Constitutional Law as I have an interest in history and politics. Administrative Law is closely connected with Constitutional Law and both modules are taught by the same lecturer. I found Contract to be interesting as well. The lectures can be tedious but if you do the readings and look at the notes you will be able to handle the modules.
    Even though this degree is new the Law department are making huge in roads into getting this degree talked about in the same way as law degrees in the other universities. There is the possibility to study abroad in 3rd year or do a year internship with a major Irish law firm. The lecturers are some of the best in the country and even internationally. The law students themselves have set up a Law Society and a Law Newsletter.
    I highly recommend this degree. If you have any questions feel free to ask

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Am in first year law. In the first semester you will study Constitutional Law 1 and Contract Law 1. In the second semester you will study Constitutional Law 2, Contract Law 2 and Administrative Law. First semester you will have 4 hours, 2 hours each. Second semester you will have 6 hours, 2 hours of each. Usually you will have 1 hour of tutorials a week. This year the timetable for law was horrible, most notably having 3 hours of law on a friday afternoon.
    I found all 3 modules interesting, in particular Constitutional Law as I have an interest in history and politics. Administrative Law is closely connected with Constitutional Law and both modules are taught by the same lecturer. I found Contract to be interesting as well. The lectures can be tedious but if you do the readings and look at the notes you will be able to handle the modules.
    Even though this degree is new the Law department are making huge in roads into getting this degree talked about in the same way as law degrees in the other universities. There is the possibility to study abroad in 3rd year or do a year internship with a major Irish law firm. The lecturers are some of the best in the country and even internationally. The law students themselves have set up a Law Society and a Law Newsletter.
    I highly recommend this degree. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Kiwi_Knock gave a really good summary here that I would agree with. Also in Law and absolutely loving it!
    The lectures are interesting but can get as tedious as any subject when you aren't in the mood, workload isn't too tough either as long as you try to keep on top of your study! Something I could've done better!
    We also plan on having law nights out for all the years next year as well which will give you an opportunity to know those in other years who can help you! :)

P.S. Join the Law Newsletter! Tis awesome! :)
    Hee hee starting my PR already!

Kiwi_Knock gave a really good summary here that I would agree with. Also in Law and absolutely loving it!
    The lectures are interesting but can get as tedious as any subject when you aren't in the mood, workload isn't too tough either as long as you try to keep on top of your study! Something I could've done better!
    We also plan on having law nights out for all the years next year as well which will give you an opportunity to know those in other years who can help you! :)

P.S. Join the Law Newsletter! Tis awesome! :)
    Hee hee starting my PR already!
    + 1
    If all goes to plan next years law 1st years will have the best preparation for their course, the best support for meeting new people, and of course the opportunity to help with the Law Newsletter. Obviously being helping with the Newsletter is way more important than making friends and learning about your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

aoife24 wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of starting the Foundation year course in Finance, Economics and Business this year?

I've done this course. PM me if you want any info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

please!!! Can someone tell me whether ordinary maths will do (A2) and if taking maths with it in first year,is very very very necessary? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

please!!! Can someone tell me whether ordinary maths will do (A2) and if taking maths with it in first year,is very very very necessary? :p

I don't think you have a choice in taking it or not in first year. I could be entirely wrong though!

Apparently all you need is a B in ordinary level and you'll be sorted. I know people who've done that course with a B at ordinary level and haven't had many problems. Once you put the effort in and attend lectures you'd be fine I'd say. There's services available for those who have problems with maths too, extra tuition and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

I know there's maths in the course,but the prospectus suggests you take maths as your arts subject along with it,if you've done ordinary level.
    I don't think you have a choice in taking it or not in first year. I could be entirely wrong though!

Apparently all you need is a B in ordinary level and you'll be sorted. I know people who've done that course with a B at ordinary level and haven't had many problems. Once you put the effort in and attend lectures you'd be fine I'd say. There's services available for those who have problems with maths too, extra tuition and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I know there's maths in the course,but the prospectus suggests you take maths as your arts subject along with it,if you've done ordinary level.

Ah ok.

You'll get on grand once you keep up with the work and recognise that you need help if you start having difficulties. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Only in 5th year at the moment, because of 4th year. Im looking into options
    Could someone tell me what
    1. Multimedia
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/MultimediaBSc.shtml

2. Computer Science and Software Engineering
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/science_CSSEng.shtml

Are like.

Thanks in Advance.
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Just wondering has anyone on here done PO304 (Society and State)? Trying to get an idea of modules and stuff for next year :/ Is there much reading/work involved? Don't think I want to do Revolutions again lol :pac: (assuming choices are the same as this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Fill me in: it's my number one cap choice if England doesn't work out.

Do many people do it? Is it demanding lots of work needed? What are the points? Last I checked 380...

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Have a read through the thread, I don't really feel like repeating a load of older posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Economics&Finance students

Anyone know the best way to go about finding out what's involved in 2nd year joint arts economics with regards modules and elective choices etc.?? Want to be prepared for next year. Had waaaaayyyy too much fun this one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

Hey, im hoping to be doing this in September and would like a students outlook on it, general stuff like hours, whats it like etc...

Advertisement