Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Does anyone do Product Design (Marketing and Innovation)? Opinions on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Just finished it on Thursday :D

I loved it overall. It is very challenging and leaving everything till the last minute won't do.
    The hours are ok, i think you may have Friday off in 1st year with the rest of the classes all over the place.

You can look up timetables for last years 1st years on the website.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Im just after doing first year, I really liked it. Word of warning though if you really really dont like maths do the business and accounting course instead :D The maths end of it is tough, but if your willing to put the work in you will be ok. If you want to pm me anymore questions work away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

ontour wrote: »
    Im just after doing first year, I really liked it. Word of warning though if you really really dont like maths do the business and accounting course instead :D The maths end of it is tough, but if your willing to put the work in you will be ok. If you want to pm me anymore questions work away :)

Agree with you on the maths :( i worked really hard at it and did really weel but it's tough enough. You don't have to do it in 2nd or 3rd year tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

collegemum wrote: »

You can look up timetables for last years 1st years on the website.

Do the timetables change much from year to year or are they all pretty much set in stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Not set in stone but they don't change dramatically year to year. Looking at them will give you a good idea what to expect. Remember to factor in tutorials/language labs/labs/etc when trying to calculate total number of hours in the week. You won't be able to know when these are though until they're organised however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Anyone doing Venture Management? Whats it like?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

I want to do arts but not to sure ill get the points. Since the points are far lower for theology and arts can anybody tell me a bit about this degree?

You have to do theology along with 2 arts subjects at least in the first year i think?

Then i want to know if i can drop theology after the first year and just carry on with my two or one arts subjects? i sort of want to to do physcology and computer science.

problem is i definatly dont want to end up doing theology... the idea of studying religion..mass is bad enough..

any other important info i might want to look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

If you don't want to study theology....i can't stress this enough....DON'T APPLY FOT IT! :eek:

Not only theology, but ANY subject.

Best advice I ever got for applying on the CAO: Apply for what you want, in the order you want them. True, the points may screw you over....but maybe only in the first round. Come the next round, you may be offered a place.....or the next...ore the next. I'm sure this can be annoying/tedious but in the end, its your degree and possible career you're applying for.

Go for what you REALLY want.

If you want Arts in NUIM, go for it. If you don't get it.....ring them. I know this sounds silly, but believe me, it could really get you places. There's ALWAYS room for one more in an Arts Degree.

I will point out, however....I'm drunk, so wait for sober responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

UglyFuc wrote: »
    I want to do arts but not to sure ill get the points. Since the points are far lower for theology and arts can anybody tell me a bit about this degree?

You have to do theology along with 2 arts subjects at least in the first year i think?

Then i want to know if i can drop theology after the first year and just carry on with my two or one arts subjects? i sort of want to to do physcology and computer science.

problem is i definatly dont want to end up doing theology... the idea of studying religion..mass is bad enough..

any other important info i might want to look at?[/QUOTE

Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year. One other thing to note about Psychology is that only a small number of students will be selected to continue with it in 2nd year. I also suggest getting on the NUIM website & read the stuff on the Admissions website, the Theology one, psychology & Comp Sc. there is loads of stuff there.

I would also read the response below, apply for what you want to study through the CAO, lots of student make mistake of applying for what they aren't really interested in & they drop out because they hate their choice.

Good luck with your studies, follow your own dreams & you'll do fine & most importantly you'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Unless you actually want to do theology,dont apply for it. A friend of mine missed out on arts by 5 points and had theology and arts down as his 2nd choice. He pressumed the theology part couldnt be that bad but it was. Ended up dropping out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

If you have no interest then don't go near it. I have a full degree in it and while some of it was interesting,a huge amount of it is boring and it is actually a very tough degree.

Aside from that it is pure Catholic rhetoric,a lot of which IMO is a load of bull. You don't look at any world religions which is a problem for me now as I am a qualified religion teacher. The thing is I really enjoy teaching religion as you look at all the world religions,their history,you look at morality and moral decisions,religion and science,non-belief. The course is basically completely different to what religion was like when I was in school 8 years ago.

The theology degree basically is like what religion in school was like,pure Catholic dogma. I am interested in religion and taht's why i teach it but I even hate how this course is. I barely got through it. You have to remember it is also where the priests train,so lectures are focused towards that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

[/QUOTE]Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year.[/QUOTE]

this is what im trying to find out are you sure you just cant drop it after first year? beacuse that would be the only reason im applying to get into arts by back door..

i'm hearing different advice from different people so im still not really sure. il have arts down first obviously but if i dont get that ive no idea what i even want to do?..

actuall i just saw this other thread on the same topic.. different answers again http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928383

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year.[/QUOTE]

this is what im trying to find out are you sure you just cant drop it after first year? beacuse that would be the only reason im applying to get into arts by back door..

i'm hearing different advice from different people so im still not really sure. il have arts down first obviously but if i dont get that ive no idea what i even want to do?..

actuall i just saw this other thread on the same topic.. different answers again http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928383[/QUOTE

www.maynoothcollege.ie/courses/undergrad/bath.shtml

yes I'm almost certain u keep Theology in 2 & 3rd year. It might be possible to transfer to NUIM degree but u wld be taking a chance on whether they would let you. It might be the same subjects in the one place but they are two separate Universities. Why don't u ring Admissions at NUIM and simply ask them ull get piece of mind knowing oifficially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes, I'm fairly certain you can. Once you are accepted to university there is a lot of changing that can happen once enrolled. If you don't like your course after the first month even I think there might be a case for switching. The Academic Advisory Office do this.

I started my degree doing BA Politics, but if you send an email to admissions saying that you want to change course, you can do so by filling in a form, and attaching a small fee, I think it was €10 in my case, and you can switch into General Arts for the other two subjects. In my case Computer Science and Philosophy.

I will emphasise what funky penguin, and tvnutz have said though. If you are not interested in theology or learning more about the Bible and other things, there is little point in doing it even for a year. The theology taught is also from what I have heard is quite Roman Catholic centric (as can and should be expected of a Roman Catholic seminary).

You might be surprised and find it more interesting than you thought but I would put Arts up higher than Theology and Arts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If you do end up having to do Theology you had better hope and pray that God can get you out of it and into Arts I suppose. Godfrey Jones that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

heeeeeeeeeey,

Was thinking about changing my CAO to put multimedia in maynooth as no.1,

can anyone tell me about the course,i.e. good or bad? is it like a computers course or what the course mainly focuses on? What jobs follow on from the course? difference between B.A and B.Sc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hi Can anybody Please give a detailed description of the european studies course and the geography course. i might be doing them in september so please reply :) , thank you

Hi Can anybody Please give a detailed description of the european studies course and the geography course. i might be doing them in september so please reply :) , thank you

European studies is exactly the same as Arts, same classes, everything, except in first year you have one extra lecture per week and in second year you have one extra lecture every two weeks.

Geography in first year you take 4 compulsory modules, two in human geography, two in physical geography. Physical is grand, I'd say 50% is the same kind of topics as leaving cert just in much more detail, the rest are new topics.

Human geography is quite interesting, could possibly be compared to sociology/anthropology. Entire course is stuff you most likely won't have studied before. Second semester is totally continuous assessment (well it was when I did it two years ago) where as the first semester is half CA (two ica's) half exam.

By putting any amount of effort in to first year geography it is easy to do well.

Second year geography there are loads of different modules you can take.
    Political, Natural hazards and disasters, cultural, urban, historical and colonial, social, hydrology, economic, it goes on and on. There are 2 compulsory modules (one in each semester - if you are doing european studies then you don't take these classes) which are entirely CA. Revolves primarily around a semester long project which you then present/write up (depending on the class) Really interesting course and well taught.

European studies is exactly the same as Arts, same classes, everything, except in first year you have one extra lecture per week and in second year you have one extra lecture every two weeks.

Geography in first year you take 4 compulsory modules, two in human geography, two in physical geography. Physical is grand, I'd say 50% is the same kind of topics as leaving cert just in much more detail, the rest are new topics.

Human geography is quite interesting, could possibly be compared to sociology/anthropology. Entire course is stuff you most likely won't have studied before. Second semester is totally continuous assessment (well it was when I did it two years ago) where as the first semester is half CA (two ica's) half exam.

By putting any amount of effort in to first year geography it is easy to do well.

Second year geography there are loads of different modules you can take.
    Political, Natural hazards and disasters, cultural, urban, historical and colonial, social, hydrology, economic, it goes on and on. There are 2 compulsory modules (one in each semester - if you are doing european studies then you don't take these classes) which are entirely CA. Revolves primarily around a semester long project which you then present/write up (depending on the class) Really interesting course and well taught.

Thank you for the reply michelleman, just in regards to the european studies, how does the erasmus program work in year three and say if i do spanish where abouts in spain do i go to? and will the things that you study there be the same as was thought in nui maynooth?

• Advertisement

Thank you for the reply michelleman, just in regards to the european studies, how does the erasmus program work in year three and say if i do spanish where abouts in spain do i go to? and will the things that you study there be the same as was thought in nui maynooth?

If you take European studies then Erasmus is Compulsory, if you do it through arts, like me, then you can choose whether you go or not (I am and most of the non-european studies people in my french classes are going).

So, you'll do first and second year here and then go to Spain. Where in Spain you go is entirely up to you. The international office has a list of universities on their website that have a learning agreement with NUIM, this just means that there is an arrangement between those colleges and Maynooth to send and receive students between them. You choose from these universities, providing they teach the subjects you're looking for and off you head for the year.

With regards to Spanish and what classes you have to take I'm not sure. I know in French you have to take a minimum of 30 credits in French over the course of the year (15 in each semester - half of all your credits) and then you are free to use your other 30 credits within whichever field you like, providing you clear it with the department of the other subject you take in Maynooth (though this is generally assumed to be just a courtesy and they won't actually stop you or force you to take their subject - I'd probably recommend it though).

Anything else just hollar :)

If you take European studies then Erasmus is Compulsory, if you do it through arts, like me, then you can choose whether you go or not (I am and most of the non-european studies people in my french classes are going).

So, you'll do first and second year here and then go to Spain. Where in Spain you go is entirely up to you. The international office has a list of universities on their website that have a learning agreement with NUIM, this just means that there is an arrangement between those colleges and Maynooth to send and receive students between them. You choose from these universities, providing they teach the subjects you're looking for and off you head for the year.

With regards to Spanish and what classes you have to take I'm not sure. I know in French you have to take a minimum of 30 credits in French over the course of the year (15 in each semester - half of all your credits) and then you are free to use your other 30 credits within whichever field you like, providing you clear it with the department of the other subject you take in Maynooth (though this is generally assumed to be just a courtesy and they won't actually stop you or force you to take their subject - I'd probably recommend it though).

Anything else just hollar :)

Hey thanks for the reply once again, i have done ordinary level spanish for the leaving cert so i would be definatly thinking of taking the Ab initio programme for beginners. One thing that im not to sure about though is that by the end of second year would you have a good enough grasp of your language that when you go off to another country that you are able to communicate properly, like do they throw you into a class with spanish students or are you put into a seperate class for erasmus students?

Hey thanks for the reply once again, i have done ordinary level spanish for the leaving cert so i would be definatly thinking of taking the Ab initio programme for beginners. One thing that im not to sure about though is that by the end of second year would you have a good enough grasp of your language that when you go off to another country that you are able to communicate properly, like do they throw you into a class with spanish students or are you put into a seperate class for erasmus students?

Well I know from friends that have taken spanish that by the time you're finished first year they assume those who took beginners spanish are at the same or similar level as those took the other class.

The idea of the erasmus programme is to put you in to an environment where everyone is speaking the language you're studying, total immersion in to it, and as a result you're forced to pick up bits and pieces and it snowballs from there. It's not assumed that when you're going over that you perfect spanish or are semi-fluent, it's assumed that you have enough to get by for the first few weeks and that while there you'll learn more.

In french universities they have a programme called CIREFE which is basically for erasmus students, designed to make up your 30 credits, and to improve you language proficiency. There might be something similar with Spanish universities too. These classes are with other erasmus erasmus students, it's likely though that french will be the only communal language so you'll be forced to speak it.

Also, the university I'm going to have a buddy system, where they team you up with a french student there, and they help you for the first week with things like finding your way around campus, setting up a bank account etc. So you won't be just thrown in at the deep end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hey Absolute Zero you should check out the Maynooth International Society
    http://www.maynoothinternationals.com/about
    and perhaps you'll find some Spanish people that are coming to NUIM next year.
    It would be really cool if you could do tandem lessons with them, (30mins English, 30mins Spanish).
    That's what most people did on my Erasmus year this year in Czech.
    You'll get free Spanish lessons and get the chance to get some language teaching experience
    which is very useful if you want to continue with an international career.
    Also pop into the international office on campus and see if they can pair you with a Spanish student.
    I'm getting paired with a Czech student this year as I want to improve my Czech and just continue with the international student mentality.
    This way you can make contacts, and who knows you might want to study in their university and they can suggest a buddy there.
    So the fun continues. =D

Thank you for the reply guys,

So ive put Arts down as first on my CAO followed by the european studies, how does choosing the subjects to do work in maynooth? do i have to pick them before semester starts or is there any chance you can attend lectures from every subject to see what they entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

you can attend lectures from every subject to see what they entail?

This. I think you have to pick 3 subjects at registration but you can change them before the 1st or 2nd week in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caza00

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Hey Absolute Zero you should check out the Maynooth International Society
    http://www.maynoothinternationals.com/about
    and perhaps you'll find some Spanish people that are coming to NUIM next year.
    It would be really cool if you could do tandem lessons with them, (30mins English, 30mins Spanish).
    That's what most people did on my Erasmus year this year in Czech.
    You'll get free Spanish lessons and get the chance to get some language teaching experience
    which is very useful if you want to continue with an international career.
    Also pop into the international office on campus and see if they can pair you with a Spanish student.
    I'm getting paired with a Czech student this year as I want to improve my Czech and just continue with the international student mentality.
    This way you can make contacts, and who knows you might want to study in their university and they can suggest a buddy there.
    So the fun continues. =D

Hi all!!

This is my first post in this forum that I've found searching about NUIM.

I think this is a great oportunity to introduce myself, because I'm a future NUIM student of Spain on a Erasmus scholarship! :D
    So Absolute Zero or someone wants to do a Tandem with eng/spa just tell me it!

By the way, I'd to ask you about the Electronic Engineering at NUIM. I've applied to do the Final Year Project subject, but I don't have any idea how does it works in this university, someone can help me about this???

Sorry for my english, my level is very basic, If you don't understand something, ask me about it, please!

Thanks all !

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 curiouskat

Anyone know anything about the celtic and medieval studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

I'm looking into choosing modules for second year and it's all going waaaaaaaay over my head.

At least I'm sorted for Media Studies since all of my modules are compulsory.

Can anyone help with the Spanish?

I think I have a choice between POR111 (Portugese Language and Culture), SPA141 (Catalan Language and Culture), SPA205 (Modern Spanish Literature), SPA207 (Modern Latin American Literature and Society) and SPA211 (Latin American Poetry).

I've pretty much ruled out Portuguese or Catalan, but can anyone give me any insight into the others? Or even confirm if these are actually the modules for first semester?

Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Can anyone help with the Spanish?

I think I have a choice between POR111 (Portugese Language and Culture), SPA141 (Catalan Language and Culture), SPA205 (Modern Spanish Literature), SPA207 (Modern Latin American Literature and Society) and SPA211 (Latin American Poetry).

I've pretty much ruled out Portuguese or Catalan, but can anyone give me any insight into the others? Or even confirm if these are actually the modules for first semester?

Much appreciated!

The courses may have changed, I'm not sure but this is what I know from second year.

Right, here goes:

SPA205: Brilliant course, taught by COL. You do La Casa de Bernada Alba (play) by Federico García Lorca and Historias de la Artamila (collection of short stories) by the lovely Ana María Matute. Great for getting a grounding in reading Spanish books/plays and interpreting them. Highly recommend you take this course.

SPA211 is very interesting. Taught by JK, it really is his speciality, he knows everything about it. A mixture of poetry from all around the continent, it's interesting if you're into Latin America in general as well because through the poetry, you learn about different parts of the continent and the socio-linguistic impact effect of different enviroments on the poetry

SPA207 is again, another good course for getting grounded in reading and interpreting Spanish-language literature. Taught by CL/JW afaik, and continues into 2nd semester.

For what it's worth, Portuguese (and Catalan) isn't that hard to pick up and it's worth more credits than the others so if you're more focused on language-y aspects rather than essays (because there are a LOT of essays with the optional modules) then maybe you should consider the languages.

Hope that's of some use to you!

Advertisement