Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let me back into politics

Options
  • 12-07-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I want to make a complaint. I have been banned from politics for speaking out about neo-Nazis like Donegalfella using the site to spread their right wing fascist views. I demand to be let back in right now. Thank you. I will be waiting until my free speech rights are restored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jabbertalky

This is the message I have been sent:

Hi jabbertalky,

You have been banned from Politics for the following duration:

14 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Persistant insulting of another member despite two infraction warnings

I don't have time to police your posts and neither does anyone else. You've picked up three infractions in the same thread for being insulting to another forum member. You've chosen to ignore the first two and continue with the same behaviour.

Take an enforced two weeks away from the Politics forum, on the return of your posting privileges I will fully expect you to comply with the forum charter like everyone else is expected to. That mainly consists of you not making personal attacks on other forum members. Including but limited to comparing them to Nazis.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 14 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Regards

sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As I carried out the banning and hence I'm directly involved I'd prefer that another admin handle this complaint out of fairness and impartiality.

Infraction notes are available.

Jabbertalky, you've got my explicit permission to post any PMs you've received from me in relation to the infraction or the banning (I see you've already posted one). To allow reasonable fairness, do I have your permission to post on this thread any PMs I've received from you on this matter? It would likely save time if you agreed to that.

Oh, there's a missing word in the ban notice above. My fault, I left it out. It should be "Including but not limited to comparing them to Nazis". It doesn't change the thrust of the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I will be waiting until my free speech rights are restored.

First of all, I must debase you of that notion. There is no such concept in this country, and on these boards. You're granted a right to post certain things, within reason. That is all.

The fact that you have to start throwing terms like "neo-Nazi's" and various other epitephs and digs around at people says more about you than them. The person involved may hold views that do not mesh with yours, however that does not give you the right to throw out any old crud in their direction. Civility is one of the basic tenets with expect from you, in return for letting you take part in the debate.

You decided that civility was something you didn't have to give simply because you found someone elses viewpoints objectionable. Well, (un)fortunately you do not get to decide what minimum standards of behaviour to give. If you want to post in our forums, you are free to do so once you are abiding by our rules.

However, in this case, you broke them, so you now suffer the consequences - in this case, a ban. The Politics forum is one for grown ups. If you can't behave like one, then it might best that you remain out of it.

So to summarise, I've no intention of over turning the ban that was placed on you in this case.

Advertisement