Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Sim

• 12-07-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience in using a global sim. My boyfriend works away in remote locations, no internet coverage. However he generally has some sort of mobile coverage, and also has a sat phone which his company pay for.

Presently he can text me,roaming from his UK Orange mobile from the desert in Saudi. This is costing a bit though, and the sat phone usage is limited to 20 min a week.

Initally we thought that the sat phone would be good for texts, but it seems as Meteor mobiles don't accept texts from these (texts to his Mam on O2 in the UK do though)

So for future trips I was thinking about him buying a global sim, I'm not sure that the international phone cards would be any good tbh. So I'm wondering does anyone in boards land have any experience of using these.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

is the satellite phone a thuraya? i been having a lot of trouble sending texts from a thuraya phone lately. i sent them an email hopefully they will sort it out soon. i dunno about the other satellite networks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

It's an Inmarsat phone. We have no problems in calling. I can call him from a landline, and he can call me on our landline, or my mobile. It just seems that texts are problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Check out MaxRoam,it may be of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

Cheers kmart6, that seems like just the thing I'm after. Do you have any experience in using this?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

We've got a thanks button for appreciation! ;)

No I have none at all....I'll be perfectly honest and say I only heard of it as my sister was looking at the site....looks good though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

NicOda wrote: »
    Cheers kmart6, that seems like just the thing I'm after. Do you have any experience in using this?

Thanks

I know of friends using this while abroad and are saving fortunes as their bills were huge as they travel alot. I think it does work otherwise they wouldnt be using it.

Advertisement