Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying swan

• 12-07-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I was in the park when I saw a swan that seemed to be in distress. He was trying to get out of the river unto the river bank but was having no luck. I went over to see if he would eat some bread but he would only eat a little. He was clearly in distress but I couldn't make out what was wrong. He then swam away and tried getting out into the park. It was then that I saw what was wrong. He had an injury just under his wing. He was bleeding and I could actually see bare bone. He could barely walk out of the water and kept falling down.

I have no idea what to do or who to call. I called the Gardai but all they can do is phone the ISPCA. I feel terrible as I've been visiting these swans every day for over a year. I found this hard to look at. I have no idea why I'm writing this here, I just need to get this out of my system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Probably the ISPCA would be the way to go, though trying to catch it would probably finish it off if it is seriously injured. Shame to see such a beautiful bird in distress though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Probably the ISPCA would be the way to go, though trying to catch it would probably finish it off if it is seriously injured. Shame to see such a beautiful bird in distress though.

The Garda that answered said he would try phoning the ISPCA a few times but that they probably wouldn't do anything on a Sunday night. To be honest I don't think there's much hope for the swan. I hate to say it but I imagine he's dead by now. I was going to go back and see how he was but I just couldn't look at him in this state. I was also going to take a photo earlier and send it to the newspaper as an example of how terribly swans are treated here, but I just couldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Garda that answered said he would try phoning the ISPCA a few times but that they probably wouldn't do anything on a Sunday night. To be honest I don't think there's much hope for the swan. I hate to say it but I imagine he's dead by now. I was going to go back and see how he was but I just couldn't look at him in this state. I was also going to take a photo earlier and send it to the newspaper as an example of how terribly swans are treated here, but I just couldn't do it.

There's nothing in either of your posts to suggest that the injury was inflicted by humans, so why would you cite this as an example of how terribly swans are treated here? Its very sad, yes, but we can't go interfering every time a wild animal gets injured/dies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Zzippy wrote: »
    There's nothing in either of your posts to suggest that the injury was inflicted by humans, so why would you cite this as an example of how terribly swans are treated here? Its very sad, yes, but we can't go interfering every time a wild animal gets injured/dies...

To be fair, the OP has already outlined elsewhere here how the swans in their area have been mistreated in the past, so it is natural for them to make the assumption or draw the inference that it was human inflicted. I for one would also try to intervene in these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

boneless wrote: »
    To be fair, the OP has already outlined elsewhere here how the swans in their area have been mistreated in the past, so it is natural for them to make the assumption or draw the inference that it was human inflicted. I for one would also try to intervene in these circumstances.

Fair enough. I didn't do a search of all the OP's posts to see that, and if humans were the cause of the injury then I'd have no problem with intervention to help it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement