Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this spider?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This spider had been living in my wing mirror in my car for a couple of weeks, but I got a good look at him today (when I took this pic) and seen the size and color of him, so thought that I'd have no more of his company, and power washed him out. Fecker was one of the biggest spiders I've come across and I've never seen one this color before.
    Does anyone know what type this is, or if they are common in Ireland?

Made me shudder....

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks Javaboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

Archeron wrote: »
    Thanks Javaboy.

looks more like a golden silk spider, native to north america, can bite

looks more like a golden silk spider, native to north america, can bite

Really? I was worried about having never seen one like that before, which is why I wanted it out. I didnt kill it, just washed it out and it rambled off into the undergrowth. Should something like that be reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'd still go with Araneus diadematus. Their colouring can vary wildly. Any shade of brown and orange with a kind of cross pattern in their abdomen in white blotches. I've seen ones that were almost white too. They're pretty much harmless. I used to collect them as a kid. Got a pinch, couldn't even call it a bite off a huge female once.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks guys.

Advertisement