Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to backup contacts AND groups on a Nokia Phone

• 12-07-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Thanks to Sam Vimes for pointing me in the right direction for my first "New Thread" post

I have a Nokia E51 with approx 340 contacts and 44 groups - does anyone out there know of a program that I can backup the contacts and more importantly the groups in the event of something catastrophic happening to my phone?? Had an N80 before the E51 and the phone died - didnt have a problem backing up and restoring the contacts but had to set up all the groups again which was a major pain in the a**!! - Kilsmum:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did you get a cd with the phone, it contains Nokia Pc Suite and you load this onto your laptop or pc and then plug in the phone with the cable that should have came with it into the pc/laptop, Once Nokia Pc Suite opens it has an option to backup the phone to the Pc/laptop.

If you didnt get a cd the software is downloadable from the nokia site and the cable can be got in a phone shop or online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Take a look at nokias ovi services.This allows syncing of all your contacts & notes over the air and if you get a new nokia they can just be redownloaded.Most of the newer s60 phones support it too

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks very much for your replies - I have used PC suite in the past and have backed up contacts etc but as far as I can see the latest version doesnt backup groups - Kilsmum:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kilsmum wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your replies - I have used PC suite in the past and have backed up contacts etc but as far as I can see the latest version doesnt backup groups - Kilsmum:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It does kinda of, it will store them on the pc in the groups exactly as on the phone, but when you go to restore them to the phone it just puts them into the main contacts.

You could do it, but you would have to transfer each group one at a time, then set them into groups on the phone.

Also i dont think you can set groups online at ovi yet. You can setup groups online, but i dont think it can be done in a sync

Thanks Davy - I wonder whether Im looking in the right place - When I sync my contacts, I do it with Outlook and I can never find groups after synching -just the individual contacts - for some of my groups I could have in excess of 30 members - Im basically looking for the lazy way out!! - Thanks for your advice - I appreciate it - Kilsmum:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Connect the phone to nokia pc suite, open the communications centre, then you will see all the contacts and groups appear as in the phone.

Then you can pick what groups you want, all together, or one by one which would be better i think, then click file and export. Then it says them in a folder you select on the pc. You can use csv file type

Cheers - I'll try that Davy - thanks very much for your advice.....:):):)

Davy wrote: »
    Connect the phone to nokia pc suite, open the communications centre, then you will see all the contacts and groups appear as in the phone.

Then you can pick what groups you want, all together, or one by one which would be better i think, then click file and export. Then it says them in a folder you select on the pc. You can use csv file type

Did all that Davy - exported the group from one phone which went fine all 31 contacts were copied onto my computer - connected up another phone and imported the group it just copied the contacts over - it didnt create the group on the phone:(:(:( I just wonder is it possible to do at all:(:(:(

Advertisement