Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Webber's STUNNING drive

• 12-07-2009 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

To win after a drive-thru against wunderkid Vettel on home turf:D. That was pure class - it were Alonso or Hamilton (or indeed Schumacher) we'd be hailing it as genius.

DC has been saying all year that Webber would fly when his leg improved. I heard they took out a bolt during the fortnight break and that they are taking out the rest of the metal during the big break coming up.

I have to admit I got 'something in my eye' when I heard him screaming over the radio:o. I can't remember when i've been so glad to see someone win a race.

BTW, I thought Vettel was really gracious in the press conference - no sulks or tantrums, such a mature attitude even though probably he's hurting big time after been absolutely whipped...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

+1

Indeed, I have always been a bg fan of Webber. Deighted for him I must say. Vettel was garcious in defeat alright, not like Barrichello. He did have a point though, the team lost it for him, in a way, but as Ross Brawn said afterwards, he had teh 11th fastest time. Funny to hear Button on the radio saying "get him out of the way" to his team about his team mate. To which the responce was "we can't do that", and then all of a sudden they made rubens pit.
    The fact that the radio transmissions are transparent/available to the FIA now makes it a little more interesting. If the radio transmissions were not available to the FIA, or if they were just private, the responce would have been more like "calm down Jenson, we will pit him as soon as possible and you really have to push for the next lap"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

cashmni1 wrote: »
    +1

Indeed, I have always been a bg fan of Webber. Deighted for him I must say. Vettel was garcious in defeat alright, not like Barrichello. He did have a point though, the team lost it for him, in a way, but as Ross Brawn said afterwards, he had teh 11th fastest time. Funny to hear Button on the radio saying "get him out of the way" to his team about his team mate. To which the responce was "we can't do that", and then all of a sudden they made rubens pit.
    The fact that the radio transmissions are transparent/available to the FIA now makes it a little more interesting. If the radio transmissions were not available to the FIA, or if they were just private, the responce would have been more like "calm down Jenson, we will pit him as soon as possible and you really have to push for the next lap"
    Oh come on, he will have had to pit for fuel. Even if Jenson had pitted first I wouldn't have been surprised to see him overtake Rubens with how slow Rubens was going.

There's no conspiracy, there was poor strategy from the Brawns, the best they were ever gonna get was 3rd and 4th, they lost one place as a team and that was down mostly to Rubens' poor speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

amacachi wrote: »
    Oh come on, he will have had to pit for fuel. Even if Jenson had pitted first I wouldn't have been surprised to see him overtake Rubens with how slow Rubens was going.

There's no conspiracy, there was poor strategy from the Brawns, the best they were ever gonna get was 3rd and 4th, they lost one place as a team and that was down mostly to Rubens' poor speed.

I didn't say that there was a conspiracy, I was merely pointing out the fact that radio transmissions have to be watered down by the teams in case they run into trouble like the McLaren team a while back.
    Agreed that Rubens was slower and yes, the two cars had to pit at that time anywway.
    A three stop strategy was the wrong strategy to take.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I didn't say that there was a conspiracy, I was merely pointing out the fact that radio transmissions have to be watered down by the teams in case they run into trouble like the McLaren team a while back.
    Agreed that Rubens was slower and yes, the two cars had to pit at that time anywway.
    A three stop strategy was the wrong strategy to take.

But they weren't watered down, they didn't move Rubens out of the way to help Jenson, they weren't going to get into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Pah! Rubens and his hissy fit!:rolleyes:

Both EJ and DC looked stunned yesterday when the camera went back to them after Barrichello's outburst. I even rewound and froze it - quite priceless! Jordan looked really sad and disappoined at the self-destruction, he has a soft spot for the Brazilian I think...

But this thread is about Webber - one more nugget - Horner said that the metal in Webbers leg is really bugging perfectionist Newey 'cos it screws up the optimal weight distribution/ballast! I'm really hoping Webber can step up a gear after this. He's been soooo close to Vettel all season, any physical/psychological improvement could propel him into championship contention...

• Advertisement

Vettel is 12/5 for the title while Webber is 8/1. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone who likes a good value bet. :)

But yesh, excellent drive from Webber yesterday, thought he panicked a little bit off the line but after that he just did everything he had to do, follow Rubens then put the boot down in free air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Barrichello should have got out of the way, Button could have caught rosberg before his tyres gave up, Barrichello cost button and brawn a chance at more points something a slower teammate should never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

All non-webber talk to the race thread lads!

Webber totally deserved to win this and frankly when he sideswiped Rubens I thought his race was over. DC and Brundle and Jordan were all very accommodating, but it was obvious, deliberate and Schumacheresque. Deserved the drivethrough penalty but he also deserved to win, he drove incredibly. Let's face it he cruised half the race and won it like boring Button was doing at the start of the year. (boring in the "inevitable button win sense", not a personal one.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Fair play to webber for his first win, been gunning for him since his minardi days (i'm australian on my dads side :P)... He drove a super race and i loved his yelling through the team radio afterward :) Now all we need is for Nick Heidfeld to win one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

amacachi wrote: »
    Vettel is 12/5 for the title while Webber is 8/1. Just thought I'd point that out for anyone who likes a good value bet. :)

But yesh, excellent drive from Webber yesterday, thought he panicked a little bit off the line but after that he just did everything he had to do, follow Rubens then put the boot down in free air.

better still, I got vettel at 18/1 before the season. Thought it was a very long shot but chanced it anyway. Not such a long shot any more though! Come on vettel!

• Advertisement
Advertisement