Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want to learn to fly-fish

Options
  • 12-07-2009 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I want to learn to fly-fish as I find it very interesting I normally do coarse or sea fishing

I bought myself an aldi fly rod a few months ago and thought id give it ago but I spent more time untangling the line so I gave up after about 2 hours with a sore arm. So I was wondering where I would get some lessons or can someone tell me the best way to start. I don’t know much about the line or types of fly to use so any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

if the aldi rod says 5-6 which is the weight of the line that came in the reel, it probably needs a 7-8 weight line so you will never be able to cast with it. i know because it happened to me.

u need to get a couple of hours with a good teacher, your tackle shop will know one. don't pay more than 30 euro and hour.

if you are not happy with the lesson, if he is arrogant or indifferent, cut the lesson short and find another teacher.

you will not progress without help.
    the right line weight for the rod you are using is essential. there are dozens of brilliant guides out there, where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

Im from Clondalkin (Dublin) I normally go to the fishing shop ABC in city centre ill ask the old man in there if he knows anyone giving lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The corkagh fisheries used to have a guy who done training there. if I am right he was quite cheap as well. Give them a ring and see if he is still around.

Ill give them a ring.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You can always practise is an open area away from trees - local park maybe? Tie on a piece of coloured wool instead of a hook and practise your casting. Lifting you line from grass is similar to lifting it from water and you'll get plenty of practise of keeping line in the air without worrying about getting snagged.

• Advertisement

I will try the field as well but first I want a lesson or two just so I know I’m doing it right, I rang the fishing shop and he pointed me in the right direction also I rang Corkagh fisheries and waiting on call back.

http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/salmonandtrout/guides.htm

Does anyone have a fly-fishing book for beginners they recommend?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not a 'book', although you can download a PDF, but I'd strongly recommend http://www.sexyloops.com. Their manual and beginners experience are both worth spending the time to read through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

stevenmu wrote: »
    Not a 'book', although you can download a PDF, but I'd strongly recommend http://www.sexyloops.com. Their manual and beginners experience are both worth spending the time to read through.

thanks, great site, only 7000 pages to go....

:) There's a lot to it alright, but it's really good stuff. Probably not as good as actual lessons, but definitely the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Peter O Reilly's Trout fishing in Ireland is a good start. Goes through River and Lough fishing some casting tips, Fly Life, knots and his favourite flies. Easy to read and great sketchs and photos.

I would suggest if your serious about taking up the sport to definatly go to one of the angling clubs and get the advice of a casting instructor or senior club member a lesson or two will save you a lot of frustration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

hi ger there is a site called Tight lines that does a short casting lesson in three parts it is run as an advert for Midwest sportsmen and is on U-Tube. it is free and covers the casting basics.Also you should join the Dodder Anglers as the river is not too far from clondalkin and the permit costs only a tenner and is available from most tackle shops The lads who fish the fly on the river are a nice bunch always ready the give advice to a learner as the club tries to encourage people to flyfish the river. I cannot think of any good books on flyfishing as there are so many however as you learn more you will want to know more about the fly life or Entomology.two good books are goddards; Waterside Guide and Pat o'Reilly's; Matching the Hatch these are probably a bit ahead of you yet but bear them in mind when you find you want to know more about the insect life in rivers or lakes. I might warn you that flyfishing is highly addictive so best of luck.

ok this gets my vote, iv read the first 18 pages and ill see how i get on.
    i'm heading to the field

One thing to remember is to not try and get everything right away, that site lists a lot of different types of casts and variants on them, but they all use the same few basic techniques, so once you get the hang of the overhead cast and the roll cast it's then pretty easy to pick up the others so I'd suggest you just concentrate on those two. IIRC there's also a page on the site with a list of common mistakes and faults which is pretty useful.

Good luck

b.w.ollie wrote: »
    hi ger there is a site called Tight lines that does a short casting lesson in three parts it is run as an advert for Midwest sportsmen and is on U-Tube. it is free and covers the casting basics.

this gets my vote also this is helpful it gives me a good idea what the cast should look like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

There's a guy called Keith McDonnell in Dublin that does casting lessons - he is GAIA certified and really sound. I've learned heaps from him. His website is fluffchucker.com

Well now after been in the field i have to say it is not as hard as i thought it would be, Im not saying its easy, its just that i was making it complicated for myself anyway after watching a few short videos (TIGHT LINES ) and a bit of reading ( SEXYLOOPS) and a few more hours practice and il bring it to the water and pratice some more.
    b.w.ollie wrote: »
    hi ger there is a site called Tight lines that does a short casting lesson in three parts it is run as an advert for Midwest sportsmen and is on U-Tube.

My first fish on the fly-rod

I went to Laois Angling Center and caught 4 trout all around 1lb and with a nymph using my aldi rod and for sure i'm hooked it was my first time hitting the water and Laois Angling Center is full of huge trout a guy fishing beside me caught one around 4 lb, i must of caught the smallest but anyway it cost €20 for half a days fishing and the people there are very friendly and they gave me a few min of his time showed me what are and not and gave a few tips that a beginer needs to get the edge on the day.

So if your a beginer and what to catch a fish this is the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I found Mel Kriegers videos on Youtube to be very helpful. He had a brilliant way of explaining the casting techniques.

Advertisement