Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham does it again

• 13-07-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5426547,00.html

Don't you find it ironic that he (Beckham) complains about Donovan going to the media and not confronting him about his problem, but then he himself (Beckham) goes to the media first here without talking to Donovan!

...good one BEckham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

ahh ****,

i was expecting a youtube link of him scoring from inside his own half again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, Beckham was responding to journalists asking about donovans attack, it was Donovan who put him in that situation.

i think beckham was dead right to respond as he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Kevster wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5426547,00.html

Don't you find it ironic that he (Beckham) complains about Donovan going to the media and not confronting him about his problem, but then he himself (Beckham) goes to the media first here without talking to Donovan!

...good one BEckham
    Beckham does what again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, Beckham was responding to journalists asking about donovans attack, it was Donovan who put him in that situation.

i think beckham was dead right to respond as he did.

IF i was beckham i would just say to donovan when i see him .SORRY WHO ARE YOU AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

paulcorr wrote: »
    IF i was beckham i would just say to donovan when i see him .SORRY WHO ARE YOU AGAIN.

Why? Beckhams not a dick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Some people just never get tired of beckham bashing do they?

It was Donavon who had a go at Beckham through the media, and when he was asked about it hes simply stated that he found it disrespectful and he would try to clear things up with donavon when he got back.

Whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If we look at his quotes and from what we see of his character there's no way he'd say something like that and rightly so, too much class!

Heres what he said:

Beckham said: "It's unprofessional. In every football player's eyes throughout the world it would be unprofessional to speak out about a team-mate, especially in the press and not to your face.

"In 17 years, I have played with the biggest teams in the world and the biggest players and not once have I been criticised for my professionalism.

"It's important to get this cleared up."

Beckham, recently recalled to the England set-up by manager Fabio Capello, added: "Me and Landon will talk, but that will be a private conversation."

You will not find one thing wrong there in anything quoted. Its typical of Beckham what was said and its just again the media looking to create something from his side.

said to my brother yesterday when i heard donovan say that, beckham should just lay out all his PL medals, his CL medal, FA cups, La Liga medal as well as his personal awards in the dressing room when they report back....say to Landon, "see those? now shut the **** up"

but as P_Larkin said, he has too much class for that unfortunately.

said to my brother yesterday when i heard donovan say that, beckham should just lay out all his PL medals, his CL medal, FA cups, La Liga medal as well as his personal awards in the dressing room when they report back....say to Landon, "see those? now shut the **** up"

I was going to put that in my post.

If he was a dick just take a picture of his medals, but again too much class. He seems like the kind of guy who will say his piece to him in private and then get back to being the great hard working pro that he is.

Its so strange how his career has turned around after the retards who jumped all over him after France 98. And most of this has been down to him working really hard. Fair ****s to Becks imo.

instead of laying out all the medals he should just lay out donovan.

• Advertisement

Have a lot of time for Beckham tbh.

Are you the one who wrote the sensationalist headline?

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Are you the one who wrote the sensationalist headline?

Im backing beckham here i think he is the model pro no matter how much stick he gets or has gotten he gets his head down and carries on. most players would be in the papers spitting blood telling stories about donovan .

Im backing beckham here i think he is the model pro no matter how much stick he gets or has gotten he gets his head down and carries on. most players would be in the papers spitting blood telling stories about donovan .

So instead of going to the papers he should lay him out :rolleyes:

Yeah but Landon would just unzip his tracksuit top and unveil is Confederations Cup silver medal and Beckham would get served

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    So instead of going to the papers he should lay him out :rolleyes:

My opinion is me or you talking about what he will do wont matter because i dont think he reads boards.ie.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Can't believe anyone would criticise beckham, the model professional imo. now if only he would stop letting his missus talk him into those ridiculous photo shoots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well there's been a remarkable turnaround in this thread since the OP :D

Now it's the Beckham fap fap thread !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl. "As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field."

He continued: "Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the United States captain and wears the Galaxy armband in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first season in MLS was a largely miserable experience as an unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, which came a little over a month after Beckham's Galaxy debut, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.

"When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."
    Yes, the ultimate professional. What's with the Beckham love in here? If talking to the press is so unprofessional all Becks did was sink to Donovans level. Do you have to answer every question a journalist asks you? Of course not. He just used the media to get a dig back at Donovan. Fair enough you may say, but it's certainly not professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Beckham is a plank but I don't really think a couple of lines of disappointment about comments made by another professional really comes close to Donovan's hissy fit. The sad truth is Beckham probably has a few PR people that tell him what to say and do. Donovan just said what he thought, at length. What a bloke in a pub team can do, but not a professional footballer.

Landon will go back to warming a bench in the Bundesliga and Beckham will tout whatever tat he is currently selling whilst clinging on to the fringe of the England team for the World Cup.

Things never change that much in football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I don't see the problem here. He said that he will resolve it with Donovan in private.

Becks in a class act, when everyone thinks he's done, he comes back stronger and stronger. You don't impress Fergie, Ancelotti, Capello x2 if you haven't got the right attitude.

Nobody should ever, ever question his professionalism.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I don't see the problem here. He said that he will resolve it with Donovan in private.

Becks in a class act, when everyone thinks he's done, he comes back stronger and stronger. You don't impress Fergie, Ancelotti, Capello x2 if you haven't got the right attitude.

Nobody should ever, ever question his professionalism.

While I do really like Beckham I do empathize with Donovan about D-Beck's commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I have no idea if what Donovan says about Beckham's attitude at the Galaxy has any truth. But Beckham has done nothing wrong by saying that Donovan was out of line and that he's going to have a word with him. If he hadn't said anything in response he would have looked fairly feeble and as if he was excepting the criticism.

I have a feeling that Landon's problem stems from a culture clash. I can just imagine their training sessions and team meetings - lots of high fives and positive attitude sh!te talking 'YEAH BUDDY, GO TEAM' and other such bollox. Combine that with possible crappy training method's and tactics - which Beckham is unimpressed by - and he would feel uncomfortable and look like an uninterested outsider. Just a guess.

TBH, I'd say Donovan's problem is with Beckham earning alot more than his teammates despite seemingly not putting in 100% and then sauntering off to Milan and expressing an interest to stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bubs101 wrote: »
    TBH, I'd say Donovan's problem is with Beckham earning alot more than his teammates despite seemingly not putting in 100% and then sauntering off to Milan and expressing an interest to stay there

You can't blame Becks for that TBH.

Advertisement