Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfking keyboards

Options
  • 13-07-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else using one of these? I bought one from peats recently (along with a razer salamanca mouse) and at the risk of sounding like a shill, I f***in love it. I never really got on much with normal keyboards when gaming, maybe because I'm a lefty, but this little yoke has made my life a whole lot easier. I still keep the main keyboard handy for certain keys as i'm mostly playing RPG's at the mo and wolfking market their warrior keyboard for FPS so it lacks some of the keys I need but overall it's highly recommended

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1926403,00.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If i were to go for something like that it would have been the nostromo.

4493821.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bambi wrote: »
    I never really got on much with normal keyboards when gaming, maybe because I'm a lefty

If you're a lefty then how are you using this properly? The 3 thumb buttons and the enter button would be on the wrong side for you.

I'm a lefty and use the mouse with my left hand and have not been able to find any alternative to the keyboard that there is a left handed version of. They always have the thumb buttons on the right side of the device when I need them on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    If i were to go for something like that it would have been the nostromo.

4493821.jpg

If You're going for the Nostromo, try get the first one. It has better buttons, lots of complaints about the 2nd revision. I've got the first one, although I've not used it in ages as its not got enough buttons when compared to a keyboard, but there was a time when I used nothing but it.

STD1_F8GFPC100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If you're a lefty then how are you using this properly? The 3 thumb buttons and the enter button would be on the wrong side for you.

I'm a lefty and use the mouse with my left hand and have not been able to find any alternative to the keyboard that there is a left handed version of. They always have the thumb buttons on the right side of the device when I need them on the left.

Very true, the bottom right buttons are awkward and I only use them for non life or death stuff like binding inventory keys and the like. The spacebar I just hit with my palm like I used to on a normal keyboard.

The nostromo would be a bugger for a lefty I think. :(

Very true, the bottom right buttons are awkward and I only use them for non life or death stuff like binding inventory keys and the like.

The thing is this device is completely designed for the right handed gamer. If you look at it the WASD keys are not centred, but are slightly to the left, allowing for the complete semi-circular motion of the thumb to reach a wider number of keys than would be allowable on a keyboard.

I think the real reason we'll never see devices designed for left handed people is that very few people are truly left handed. Of the 8 or so percent of us that use our left hand for writing, most of these people are actually whats called Cross dominant and not fully left handed.

If you write with your left hand but use a mouse with your right hand you are more than likely cross dominant and not left handed. As a left handed person I cannot use a mouse with my right hand, it feels as awkward as writing with my right hand, the same goes for anything like opening jars, throwing a ball... etc.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The thing is this device is completely designed for the right handed gamer. If you look at it the WASD keys are not centred, but are slightly to the left, allowing for the complete semi-circular motion of the thumb to reach a wider number of keys than would be allowable on a keyboard.

Oddly enough the review that swung me basically said, yes this is for righties but if you're left handed it will work well too, and IMO it does, and I'm an absolute lefty. I like having my thumb beside the shift and ctrl keys for sprinting and crouching etc. Having said that I used to use a HOTAS joystick with the stick on my right hand...I'm not sure if that was due to necessity or habit.

You could try the warrior extreme jobby, it has two keyboard circles so the left circle might suit a lefty more...

You could try the warrior extreme jobby, it has two keyboard circles so the left circle might suit a lefty more...

I'm happy with my current 8456 setup. I use the numpad buttons 8456 instead of wasd. I then use the directional pad for my thumb, assigning jump, crouch, sprint and prone to the directions.

I've been keeping an eye on keyboard alternatives but none so far have really caught my eye due to them favouring right handed gamers. That being said if they released a left handed version of that wolfking peripheral I'd buy it in an instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Eww....lefties! :p

It's the same issue with mice, quite a few of the higher end mice are geared towards right handed people.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's the same issue with mice, quite a few of the higher end mice are geared towards right handed people.

what are you talking about. I have this baby for PC gaming:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/168&cl=US,EN

... and it's **** :( but it's the only left handed cordless laser mouse in existence. I've tried the neutral mice that can be used by either hands but they just aren't as comfortable as this one which is actually shaped for the left hand.

I tend to use a right handed mouse set up on my left hand side, and I use the same finger to left click and right click..not very efficient I know but there ya go. I bought a razer salamanca because it's hand neutral to a certain degree..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Eww....lefties! :p

Im a leftie but have always used my right hand for the mouse, feels kind of strange to do it with the other hand.

I think most razer mice seem to cater for both lefties and righties.

Advertisement