Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New one for me ?? wild camping in Achill Island

Options
  • 13-07-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

This is a new one one me guys...

I've been going to achill Island for the last 10 years approx and used to use the campsite in Dugort and then when it closed I just camped wild as I never liked the Keel sandybanks...

Anyway I over the last 5 or 6 years I would visit Achill Island 3 or 4 times a year and is definately my favourite place on earth on a sunny day...

I would usually drive around during the day and park near Dugort strand at night but sometimes when I'd go to keem and have a few pints in the Minaun View I would just park at the stoney part in front on Keel Strand and no one ever bothered me...

This year I was aproached by 2 guys who came knocking on my door one evening and said they were from the farmers assosiation of Achill and that the Island was "common" ground belonging to the farmers and it would cost €20 per night to stay anywhere!!!

I asked if they were serious and he said yeah ... only way to avoid the charge was to go to the campsite for the same amount of money...

really didn't make any sense to me.. I just moved back to Dugort and didn't see them again... they said if they saw me camping without their permit displayed I would be reported to the gardai...

sounds very suspect to me and a case of foot shooting from an Island crying out for tourism...

Anyone ever come across this anywhere?

I'm going to write to Achill Tourism and see if they know anything about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would very much suspect that this was a somewhat unofficial, "private business venture" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

there are sign there that say no camping and sometimes there are sheep on that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

paddyb wrote: »
    there are sign there that say no camping

That would explain it alright.

Still, I don't think that they could actually collect money from you, as that would imply some sort of "contract" with all its legal and insurance implications.

Quite a few spots on Achill where there are no signs and where you don't disturb anyone, not even sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Why did'nt you ask them for official ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Sounds sus tbh Did you see the permit or paperwork?

write a cheque...

made payable to:
    The Achill farmers Assosiation..
    or
    The Association of Achill Farmers..

(soz... Life of Brian moment there..)
    there are sign there that say no camping and sometimes there are sheep on that field
    they're on the road mostly...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Offer to pay by Credit Card, look for a receipt...Ask if they could provide you with electricity?
    I wonder how many tourists have handed over cash. Personally I'd be reporting them to Gardai as individuals trying to extort cash from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macan

Hello there,
    I have been going to achill this last few years in a camper and parking on that stretch of grass along keel beach. Always three or four campers parked every night beside me too. Ive never came across these men or heard of such a thing. Sounds a bit like someone trying to make a quick pound to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I wrote a polite but "innocent" email to Achill Tourism asking where to pay the new charges - and I got a polite reply:
    Hi xxx

Thanks for your message.
    Apart from the Caravan and Camping site on Achill where a charge is levied for the services of the site. We have not been informed of any further charges for camping on the island.

In low season if the caravan site has closed you can still park within the caravan park fencing.

Kind regards

Helen

--
    Helen Applegarth
    Head of Operations
    Achill Tourism
    Cashel
    Achill
    Co.Mayo
    Ireland
    Tel. No. 098 47353
    Mobile. 086 325 1619
    www.achilltourism.com

Ireland's Holiday Island. Drive on... Breathe Deeply... And relax in total peace
    So - I'll be visiting Achill again this year - lovely place, especially when the Galway Hookers are racing. In fact the whole Mayo coast is excellent - pity it's not down here in the Cork sunshine......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macan

Nice one Dowtchaboy. Will be heading that way myself shortly for a few days. Achill is a great stopover for a camper(if the weather is kind to us)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I wrote to Achill Tourism about this and they responded promptly ..

They said they will be contacting the local Gardai and discussing the matter with them and will come back to me..

I also directed them to this thread

• Advertisement

No definative answer but a reply from Achill Tourism which requires some reading between the lines... I'm back there next week for a week or so and will be following the guidelines in the mail

Hi

I discussed this matter with the local Gardai and they can offer no solution at present.

There are currently some issues with commonage in the Keel area which have been ongoing for some time. Although the current dispute is between the Farmers, the local council and tenants of the commonage there is no clear guidance on the rights and wrongs of this situation.

It is unclear whether Beach Byelaws also have some precedence in this area.
    It was however agreed that the people collecting this money would have to show a certificate of insurance to you if they are offering a service for your vehicle to camp "on their land". The clear message is to take the names of the people collecting/demanding money and ask for proof of ID. The gardai are now aware of this situation and are monitoring this closely.

I'm sorry if this is not a satisfactory answer but the boundaries are not clear and this has been a rather difficult period this just a few individuals using "uncertainty" to their advantage.

Kind regards

Achill Tourism

Fair dues to Achill Tourism - I'm sure they have to tread carefully with various vested interests having different agendas, so the easiest thing for them to do might have been to ignore these queries altogether!
    Was up in Westport last weekend at a wedding - again it was noticeable how relaxed Mayo was re campervans - when I got to Galway and ESPECIALLY Clare I started seeing the "no overnight parking" and height barriers. In fact in Kilkee we could not visit Georges' Head or the West end/Pollock Holes etc 'cos they are blocked off to campers by 2.1M height barriers.

We'll get back up to Mayo and Achill and Erris before September is out I reckon.
    I'll put up a few notes and photos of good places found in a few days....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

have you been back and how did you get on, we are hoping to bring the kids camping this year and were looking at Dugort Keel is quite expensive per night for a tent!
    Thanks in advance:)

No - didn't get back there last year - signed up for a postgrad degree and haven't had a free moment (including weekends) since. Might get to go in September after I no longer need to be tied to a broadband line and a fully-loaded printer!:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    Good responses from Achill Tourism,
    Theres a few issues with commonage in that area alright and it sounds like a few lads trying to take advantage make a quick buck.
    Its a pity people think the Keel caravan park is a bit expensive for camping.
    Achill, in my opinion has been pricing itself out of the market for years. Its time some of the accommodation costs came down and indeed some of the ancillary costs associated with holidaying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Good responses from Achill Tourism,
    Theres a few issues with commonage in that area alright and it sounds like a few lads trying to take advantage make a quick buck.
    Its a pity people think the Keel caravan park is a bit expensive for camping.
    Achill, in my opinion has been pricing itself out of the market for years. Its time some of the accommodation costs came down and indeed some of the ancillary costs associated with holidaying there.

I love Achill we rented a house there about 3 years ago and it was not a bad price for a week, we stayed in a B&B for a few days another time and it was price enough 40 per night for November, so seeing as we are watching the funds we thought camping could be a good option and I think your right about Achill in the past pricing them self's out of the market and I think the same could be said for all of Ireland about pricing for pitching a tent.

Its 19 euro per night in Keel, that's 2 adults and 2 children, we have 4. now this is were I'm not clear and will email them to confirm exact pricing, but they also have a 3 euro charge per adult and 2 euro per child a 3 euro charge per car and 1 euro for the shower when you add is all up = 37 per night! I only included one shower in that price as well LOL (if I'm correct and that's what you do) makes for an expensive enough night roughing it

cheapest I found so far is the camp site on Inis Oirr ten euro a night which is very good!

most of the camp sites are around that price for a night and I want to go for a few day's and we are on a strict budget. it all adds up ;) pity really as it could be a way to help get some money back in to Ireland again. I think we lost the feeling of welcome as some places saw money signs before their eyes when times were good. back to basics making it a friendly affordable place to stay we may have scenery but we don't have the weather so need something special to attract people. just my 10pence worth any way.

Baby75 wrote: »
    I love Achill we rented a house there about 3 years ago and it was not a bad price for a week, we stayed in a B&B for a few days another time and it was price enough 40 per night for November, so seeing as we are watching the funds we thought camping could be a good option and I think your right about Achill in the past pricing them self's out of the market and I think the same could be said for all of Ireland about pricing for pitching a tent.

Its 19 euro per night in Keel, that's 2 adults and 2 children, we have 4. now this is were I'm not clear and will email them to confirm exact pricing, but they also have a 3 euro charge per adult and 2 euro per child a 3 euro charge per car and 1 euro for the shower when you add is all up = 37 per night! I only included one shower in that price as well LOL (if I'm correct and that's what you do) makes for an expensive enough night roughing it

cheapest I found so far is the camp site on Inis Oirr ten euro a night which is very good!

most of the camp sites are around that price for a night and I want to go for a few day's and we are on a strict budget. it all adds up ;) pity really as it could be a way to help get some money back in to Ireland again. I think we lost the feeling of welcome as some places saw money signs before their eyes when times were good. back to basics making it a friendly affordable place to stay we may have scenery but we don't have the weather so need something special to attract people. just my 10pence worth any way.

True, The whole country has gone up with prices.
    Tonnes of these "holiday" homes have been built and paid for under numerous tax breaks but the costs of staying in them is crazy. Between 500 and 800 per week in high season.
    Its a lot for a family who've also to clean up and cook their own food as they go.
    With a bit of luck the price of these holiday homes may decrease but theres no sign of it as of yet.
    Most of these homes have been built with little or no thought for amenities for kids or people on a bad day which in the long run is going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

We too are thinking of Achill next week.
    I think the charges are €19 for 2 adults. The extra charges are for persons over that so if you have 2 children, it will be €2 each. Showers I d imagine are €1 for a token. When we came across that before, the shower was on long enough to swap with my son. The €3 then on top for car.
    Thats €26 plus the shower?
    I heard that campsite is very well kept and is worth it??

mayfire wrote: »
    We too are thinking of Achill next week.
    I think the charges are €19 for 2 adults. The extra charges are for persons over that so if you have 2 children, it will be €2 each. Showers I d imagine are €1 for a token. When we came across that before, the shower was on long enough to swap with my son. The €3 then on top for car.
    Thats €26 plus the shower?
    I heard that campsite is very well kept and is worth it??

I was in Achill last week for 2 nights.. I spent the first night at Keel Strand and the next night at Dogort strand. No money grabbers this time. Island was very very quiet in general and locals reported it as quietest year yet.. They said apart from the marathon weekend it's been a disaster for tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Baby75 wrote: »

Hi - the campsite at Keel is expensive - it's also not that clean. I was there last year & the toilet & shower blocks were nothing short of disgusting. It's a big campsite & gets very busy, but there's still no excuse for poor hygeine. Another thing to note is that there is no shelter there whatsoever, so if it's at all windy, make sure you've your tent pegged down properly & all the guy ropes tightened!!

I haven't been to the one on Inis Oirr, but there's also one on Inisheer for the same price - €10 per night. The facilities are fairly basic though, but it's right beside the beach in a sheltered dip, so the location is good. One thing to note there though, is the price of the boat over & back - plus you'll only be able to bring over what you can carry with you.

My recommendations for nice campsites would be the one in Strandhill, Co. Sligo, Renyville Beach in Galway (both of them right beside the beach) & O'Connors in Doolin, Co. Clare. They're all around the same price, but some of them have offers (6 nights for the price of 7, for example).

• Advertisement

Hi - the campsite at Keel is expensive - it's also not that clean. I was there last year & the toilet & shower blocks were nothing short of disgusting. It's a big campsite & gets very busy, but there's still no excuse for poor hygeine. Another thing to note is that there is no shelter there whatsoever, so if it's at all windy, make sure you've your tent pegged down properly & all the guy ropes tightened!!

I haven't been to the one on Inis Oirr, but there's also one on Inisheer for the same price - €10 per night. The facilities are fairly basic though, but it's right beside the beach in a sheltered dip, so the location is good. One thing to note there though, is the price of the boat over & back - plus you'll only be able to bring over what you can carry with you.

My recommendations for nice campsites would be the one in Strandhill, Co. Sligo, Renyville Beach in Galway (both of them right beside the beach) & O'Connors in Doolin, Co. Clare. They're all around the same price, but some of them have offers (6 nights for the price of 7, for example).
    Theres not that many places on Achill that are sheltered in fairness and the problems with "dips" is that they flood.

Id say the weather over the past few years has all buy ruined any sort of camping holidays in Ireland sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allthatGlitters

Inis Oirr and Inisheer is the same island ! Just thought I'd mention that. ;)

Theres not that many places on Achill that are sheltered in fairness and the problems with "dips" is that they flood.

Id say the weather over the past few years has all buy ruined any sort of camping holidays in Ireland sadly.

By dipped, I meant that the campsite I mentioned is actually built behind some sandbanks. Dipped was probably the wrong choice of word.

I wouldn't agree though about the weather ruining camping holidays though - we had over 2 months of cracking weather this year - last year a little less, but the year before that was also really good.

The problem with Ireland is that people always expect / hope for summer weather in July & August when it is almost always May, June & September which are the best months. Unfortunately for families however, that's when the kids are in school.

Inis Oirr and Inisheer is the same island ! Just thought I'd mention that. ;)

So they are - my mistake!

By dipped, I meant that the campsite I mentioned is actually built behind some sandbanks. Dipped was probably the wrong choice of word.

I wouldn't agree though about the weather ruining camping holidays though - we had over 2 months of cracking weather this year - last year a little less, but the year before that was also really good.

The problem with Ireland is that people always expect / hope for summer weather in July & August when it is almost always May, June & September which are the best months. Unfortunately for families however, that's when the kids are in school.

So they are - my mistake!
    I agree on the months where the best weather is and also on Irish peoples expectations but the simple fact of the matter is the weather has ruined camping holidays as most people camp in July and August as the kids are off. It doesnt matter if the other months are good, there are very few families who camp in these months. This puts people off camping.

Yeah, the site in achill couldnt be any more exposed, its been there since the early 90's and they could have potentially built it behind the dunes further to the east but I assume there were issues with that also.

Yeah, the site in achill couldnt be any more exposed, its been there since the early 90's and they could have potentially built it behind the dunes further to the east but I assume there were issues with that also.

A few hedges & trees would help a lot, though they'd probably be blown away over the winter months!

A few hedges & trees would help a lot, though they'd probably be blown away over the winter months!

They'd be long gone and would require a lot of work to get them to grow in the predominately sand based ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

They'd be long gone and would require a lot of work to get them to grow in the predominately sand based ground.

Have you been to Murvagh in Donegal?
    Great spot for wild camping, pine forest growing in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Go to achill about 3 time's a year. Sandy banks has always been spot on when i have been there toilets clean showers are basic and the floor is always wet but with so many people coming from the sea to the showers in there wetsuits im not suprised. Price can be a little steap but im willing to forgo that with the smashing smashing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭pavb2

Going camping on Achill for music workshop & festival in July so on balance & having read the thread which camp site would people recommend.

2 adults 2 kids 12 & 14

Thanks for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

pavb2 wrote: »
    Going camping on Achill for music workshop & festival in July so on balance & having read the thread which camp site would people recommend.

2 adults 2 kids 12 & 14

Thanks for any advice

http://www.achillcamping.com/
    here is great
    right on the best location in ireland imho
    learn to surf when your there
    and follow atlantic drive(hairy in places though)
    bring the bikes too
    i usually wild camp close by and have never had any problems so dont be put off doing your own thing

Advertisement