Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New one for me ?? wild camping in Achill Island

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Anybody wild camped at Carna or Muinish island? I spent a great week in a rented house 12 years ago (weather was great as always in the past!), I would like to revisit this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Just back from Keel Sandybanks,lovely site next to the sea,safe and no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Hi
    Resurrecting this thread, wondering if anyone has more recent feedback or experience of above campsite or any other campsite on Achill Island.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Aimeee,
    I havnt been to Achill yet this year but it is one of our favourite places in Ireland and we usually get down there 5 or 6 times per year.
    The facilities may not be on a par with some other sites but they are very adequate. Showers are a bit slow but everything else is fine.
    Decent newish playground right at the entrance and within easy walking distance ( 10 mins ) of pub , shop or restaurant.
    The beauty of the area makes up for any short comings.
    Give it a go , you'll love it.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

Does anyone know if Lavelle's camp site is still open? Hoping to go there next week but can't seem to get anyone on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

99% certain its still open.
    They spent a while last year complaining to the local papers about campervans parking up near their site .
    They also got some Mayo co councillors to call for a ban on wild camping because it was costing them money.
    Thank God that wasnt enforced.
    Enjoy your stay in Achill, you'll love it.

Thanks for the update, finally got through last night, apparently website has wrong number on it! Doesn't help business much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jibberjive wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, finally got through last night, apparently website has wrong number on it! Doesn't help business much either.
    Any chance you could p.m. me the correct number. I am going there in a few weeks - hopefully. Just bought my first motorhome and I love Achill.

Hi Jim is the owner & his number is 087 616 5840. Didn't get to go due to sick kids vomitting etc in tent so cut the trip short :( Hope you have better luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jibberjive wrote: »
    Hi Jim is the owner & his number is 087 616 5840. Didn't get to go due to sick kids vomitting etc in tent so cut the trip short :( Hope you have better luck
    Thanks a lot. Hope the kids are better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement