Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Question??

Options
  • 13-07-2009 7:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey guys just hoping somebody can help me with this visa question?im currently in Brisbane working on a WHV and hope to stay here for approx 8 or 9 months.I backpacked the east coast on a hol visa last summer went home and decided to come back and work so although im on a WHV im really only here for work.I am working for a company where im happy and plenty work so i want to stay working for them for the 8 or 9 months though my visa is restricted to 6 months work with each employer.Can someone tell me how they check this out or are they strict on this?Can they find out if you have worked with one employer for longer than 6 months??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Hey guys just hoping somebody can help me with this visa question?im currently in Brisbane working on a WHV and hope to stay here for approx 8 or 9 months.I backpacked the east coast on a hol visa last summer went home and decided to come back and work so although im on a WHV im really only here for work.I am working for a company where im happy and plenty work so i want to stay working for them for the 8 or 9 months though my visa is restricted to 6 months work with each employer.Can someone tell me how they check this out or are they strict on this?Can they find out if you have worked with one employer for longer than 6 months??

strict-yes. I presume tax records etc would be the easiest way for them to find out. If caught they can exit you from the country asap. I think there is also penalties for employers caught doing this. I have heard of hundreds of whv holders wanting to stay on but dont think i ever heard of an employer actually running the risk and keeping them on.

If the company are serious about you maybe look into sponsorship before your whv expires

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Yup as My horse was saying - sponsorship towards the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know people who have been with a company for more than 6 months. (large well know company, working on behalf of a state company)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Scatman81 wrote: »

The question is wether you want to stay. Applying for PR after breaking the conditions of your WHV could scupper you.

If you just want to work for 9 Months and then p*ss off somewhere else and forgot about oz. Sure work away chances are no-one even DIAC will care that much.

Hope that job is worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I dont know where some of the people on this forum get this stuff from, but theyre NOT strict on it in my experience. As another previous poster said, I know loads of people that have stayed working in the one place more than six months.

• Advertisement

I would love to know what employers are willing to risk investigation by DIAC and other government departments by breaking australian law as thats what they would be doing if they employed someone contrary to their visa regulations.

Cash in hand jobs sure but paying tax etc? there was a loophole a number of yrs ago where you could go through an agency books and then switch to the employers books after three months but pretty sure that was outlawed as well.(that was back when it was 3 months with one employer).

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Scatman81 I don't mean to be a stick on the mud but the Aus immigration view the working part of a WHV as just a way of supporting your Holiday in Oz .

If you want to live and working in Oz you need to apply for one of the other migration visa.

As the other guys have said. If you want to live in Oz you need to go through the right procedures. Else you could find your self facing a few years ban from the country.

Sorry for being Mr. Downer

Ozeire wrote: »

Sorry for being Mr. Downer

your Alexander Downer:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if ur on an ABN then u can get around it, so i've heard. an ABN is an australian business number so it has nothing to do with foreigners so doesnt have the 6 month restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

Know of some Hungarians students on the ABN as they are sub contractors anyway when they use their legal work hours (20 per week), but they can keep same employers indefinitely....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Thanks for your advice everyone i have a TFN so ABN isn't an option.So im guessing the only way they track it is through the tax you pay?if i apply for my tax back when i go home they could find out then?shur ill play it by ear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

myhorse wrote: »
    strict-yes. I presume tax records etc would be the easiest way for them to find out.

Not true ...Immigration has no link with the ATO.

I have friends who have been 'undocumented' ie. their visa expired over 6 years ago and they still pay tax on the same tax file number
    . If caught they can exit you from the country asap. I think there is also penalties for employers caught doing this.

Yes that is true... if caught immigration can end your visa.
    I have heard of hundreds of whv holders wanting to stay on but dont think i ever heard of an employer actually running the risk and keeping them on.

If the company are serious about you maybe look into sponsorship before your whv expires

A few years ago before the current 6 month rule you were only permitted to work for an employer for 3 months.

I actually worked for my employer continously for 6 month and then they sponsored me for a 457. When I filled out the form for the 457 I was not so stupid as to state that I had been working for my employer for 6 months... instead I said 3 months... yes I lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Check if the company has more then one registered company name. The company I work for has two they have said that after my first 6 months they will switch me over to the other company so I get 12 months in the same job.

Advertisement