Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in Rush.

Options
  • 13-07-2009 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard something on the news about a car hitting a house on the main street,came in near the end and missed what happened.Anyone fill me in please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

my dad just rand me to see if i had anything to do with it.

Sounds like the road is closed . thats all the info i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 simmoliz

Heard it on the news on the way in. Three Latvians crashed into a house on Harbour Road in Rush at 3am this morning. Two in hospital in critical condition, and house structurally damaged. I know that road quite well, and have a fair idea which house it must have been - on the bend near the harbour?? Haven't seen it though.

must pop down later and see.

how could you structurally damage a house on that road..... feckin idiots were speeding.

hope they are alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Martron wrote: »
    feckin idiots were speeding.
    I wouldn't say it's too wise to speculate on what happened. Hitting at building at <50 kmph could easily structurally damage it.

Unless of course you know they were speeding as a fact.

fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Here's a little detail.
    Elsewhere, three men were cut free from a car which crashed into a house in on Harbour Rush, Co Dublin at 3am.

Two of the men, who are in their mid-20s, are described as being critical but stable in Dublin’s Beaumont Hospital.

A third man, in his 30s, is in a stable condition. All three are from Latvia.

any photos?

the gf just rang and said it was pretty bad looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

must pop down later and see.

how could you structurally damage a house on that road..... feckin idiots were speeding.

hope they are alright though.

I'm just beside it. The coppers have the road closed and it's lashing rain here. I'll take a pic later if the rain eases off

must be bad if road still closed

The Garda I spoke to told me that the guy in the passenger seat was the only one wearing a seat belt. He suffered a punctured lung and minor injuries. The guy driving also suffered a punctured lung along with some very serious injuries but the worst was the girl in the back seat. She was thrown around like a rag doll and suffered horrendous injuries. All three had to be cut out of the car and the driver and rear seat passenger are still in critical condition. Actually to quote the Garda "we're still not sure if they're going to make it"

• Advertisement

yeah i was thinkin it must be bad. they would have to do forensic crash stuff if one of them died.

awful sahame really i hope they are ok.

seems strange you could loose control on that part of the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

what part?

is it the s bend just past the harbour bar?

The car hit the house where the lads are standing. Very little damage to the house to be honest. No obvious skid marks so either the driver didn't brake/skid at all or the road was wet.

13072009243.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 busterl200

<snip>

busterl200 banned for a month. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Ah I knew someone would have a pic of it, myself and the lads were walkin up from the harbour and the Gard asked us to go the long way.. that car(as you can see) was mangled.

Had they cleaned the road before the pic was taken? There was a fair amount of debris about when I passed.

Any more news on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

busterl200 wrote: »
    <snip>

i dont feel much sympathy for them,there is no way the car simply "lost control" on a bend like this,they were either drunk,speeding or asleep even if it was raining cars dont simply slide off the road,
    and if the above post is to be believed about them not even wearing seatbelts i have even less sympathy for them,
    i feel sorry for the person in the house,

bladebrew wrote: »
    i dont feel much sympathy for them,there is no way the car simply "lost control" on a bend like this,they were either drunk,speeding or asleep even it was raining cars dont simply slide off the road,
    and if the above post is to be believed about them not even wearing seatbelts i have even less sympathy for them,
    i feel sorry for the person in the house,

I happen to know the occupants of the house are 2 elderly people.

Just a thought. Its probably best that they hit the house, if they had of continued at the speed they were travelling (obv a fair amount) they would have ploughed through the wall and down onto the beach.. and died surely?

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    I happen to know the occupants of the house are 2 elderly people.

Just a thought. Its probably best that they hit the house, if they had of continued at the speed they were travelling (obv a fair amount) they would have ploughed through the wall and down onto the beach.. and died surely?

yeah cars travelling below 50km/h dont drift across roads into houses,
    how far is that house from the harbour? in havnt been down that side of rush in years!

yeah cars travelling below 50km/h dont drift across roads into houses,
    how far is that house from the harbour? in havnt been down that side of rush in years!

Do you mean the harbour wall? Running along the beach? or the harbour itself?

If wall, couple of feet, 20 maybe 30.. a distance theyd easily have covered in seconds at that speed. It wouldnt be the first time that walls been done in either.

A car went half way through it last summer after bombin down the hill with a garda car on its tail. And another back in Feb I think, Latvian guy at the wheel < just sayin. But the roads were very VERY icy that night.

Do you mean the harbour wall? Running along the beach? or the harbour itself?

If wall, couple of feet, 20 maybe 30.. a distance theyd easily have covered in seconds at that speed. It wouldnt be the first time that walls been done in either.

A car went half way through it last summer after bombin down the hill with a garda car on its tail. And another back in Feb I think, Latvian guy at the wheel < just sayin. But the roads were very VERY icy that night.

christ! they would have been in some mess if they went through a wall!
    latvians love the harbour so:eek:

• Advertisement

christ! they would have been in some mess if they went through a wall!
    latvians love the harbour so:eek:

Whens the last time you saw this wall? lol Do you remember anything about it being built in the stoneage and it being around 1 foot thick? :P

In all seriousness, that is one tough sumbitch of a wall.. and it is VERY old. No car has fully made it through it yet, to the best of my knowledge.

And no, the Latvians arent too fond of the harbour, they prefer the south beach (you can literally count the drug deald goin down, Iv done it.) and the woods. You WILL get hopped in the woods passing though on the weekend, no ifs, no buts.. you just will.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I will slap a long term ban on anyone who posts pics or makes crass/insensitive comments on this thread. HB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Not in defence of anyone BUT....

My friends hit [the harbour] wall and they LIVE in rush and WERENT going fast, it was icy and just as you go past the bar, the road veers sharply to the right over a hump. the car simply continued straight and struck the wall, luckily it was a low speed crash.

I drove on the road that night and the road was saturated, there were heavy intermittent rain showers, combine this with possibly a knackered car, or tyres that had seen better days, or driver texting, or cat ran infront of car.... its not always drink and high speed and latvians.

So I walked by the scene of the accident again today, and Im sure someone has written something about a lack of skid marks? ..might even have been me heh, but anyways, there are in fact skid marks. By the looks of it the driver hit the breaks waaaaaay too late as the skid marks are only a few feet long.

Any more news on the driver and passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Iused to live in house on the corner (now demolished) where the old pump is and that bend has seen a lot of crashes over the years.

There is considerable damage to the house from what I can see, but I am not a structural engineer, the man who lives in the house is a structural Engineer.. The house is nearly 200 years

This part of Rush is crazy for speeding. This was a thread here last year and some contributers to this thread were on it. The speed on this road will eventually lead to someone being killed. Every night cars are speeding up and down the street and a lot of people are getting fed up. While it is good to raise it on Boards people need to go to the Gardai and complain about the speed and noise. If that happened during the day there is a big population of people living in Harbour and Tayleurs Point area we could have had a real tragedy on our hands..

If the government are so short of funds they should slap serious fines on the people in this car, not only the driver if it is found speed or anything else caused this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Whens the last time you saw this wall? lol Do you remember anything about it being built in the stoneage and it being around 1 foot thick? :P

In all seriousness, that is one tough sumbitch of a wall.. and it is VERY old. No car has fully made it through it yet, to the best of my knowledge.

And no, the Latvians arent too fond of the harbour, they prefer the south beach (you can literally count the drug deald goin down, Iv done it.) and the woods. You WILL get hopped in the woods passing though on the weekend, no ifs, no buts.. you just will.

Where the steps are from the road down to the beach just beside the pump, a car made it through there when I lived at the corner, which by the way was known as the slip,

If you saw these drug deals being done did you phone the Gardái?

The non nationals love the south beach for a few reasons. They have ruined the dunes with their drinking parties and bonfires. They dump their cars after they wreck them and let the tide take them. WILL ADD PHOTO IN FEW MINUTES
    As for getting hopped in the woods, well I dont want to be banned but I would not be letting it go. You and your mates, me and my family and everyone else reading this are entitled to walk thro there.

what woods are we talking about? the ones beside the church?

yeah as for ringing the guards. by the time any of them show up its too late.

people have got to start ringing the guards about problems. thats what they are there for and if the statistic rise about " incidents " reported they have to respond to it.

LeoB wrote: »
    Where the steps are from the road down to the beach just beside the pump, a car made it through there when I lived at the corner, which by the way was known as the slip,

The non nationals love the south beach for a few reasons. They have ruined the dunes with their drinking parties and bonfires. They dump their cars after they wreck them and let the tide take them. WILL ADD PHOTO IN FEW MINUTES
    As for getting hopped in the woods, well I dont want to be banned but I would not be letting it go. You and your mates, me and my family and everyone else reading this are entitled to walk thro there.

Ok well if a car made it through that wall back then, then I would have been just a kid.. and probably wasnt allowed that far away from my house :P thats why I didnt know, sorry.

Is this the pic you were talking about? This is the most recent dump I think.
    22691812.jpg
    what woods are we talking about? the ones beside the church?

Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Yeah, I noticed that car last Tuesday when I was taking the dog for a run on the south beach.

Advertisement