Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Deliveries

Options
  • 13-07-2009 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Not sure if this is old news, if it is I missed it. I was in Tesco the day before yesterday, and there was a van outside saying they're now delivering in this area. That service is very handy, the delivery fee is easily negated by not buying all the discretionary purchases I pick up as I'm trolley pushing

Edit: may be a false alarm, am trying the tesco.ie website, It's saying still no service. Can anyone 100% confirm/deny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Not sure if this is old news, if it is I missed it. I was in Tesco the day before yesterday, and there was a van outside saying they're now delivering in this area. That service is very handy, the delivery fee is easily negated by not buying all the discretionary purchases I pick up as I'm trolley pushing

Yeah just heard an ad on Ocean FM saying you can shop online and they will deliver. Modern technology has arrived.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I got all excited! But the site is saying it's not available. Dammit.

At least it's on the way.

I can grocery shop online and get it delivered to most places, daughter when she's in Clare, ingredients for a big roast dinner delivered to my brother in the UK (weird birthday present!), but NOT MY HOUSE. It drives me nuts.

@ OP

There's often free delivery codes knocking about, and at least we can avail of the cheaper prices in the Sligo store.

When it's up and running of course. I may never leave the house again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I got all excited! But the site is saying it's not available. Dammit.

At least it's on the way.

I can grocery shop online and get it delivered to most places, daughter when she's in Clare, ingredients for a big roast dinner delivered to my brother in the UK (weird birthday present!), but NOT MY HOUSE. It drives me nuts.

LOL, do they deliver outside of sligo and if so how far?

I dream of online shopping for grocery's.

LOL, do they deliver outside of sligo and if so how far?

I dream of online shopping for grocery's.

We might actually get you to spend your money in Sligo after all Mr T!

Well as above, the site isn't set up for it yet, but when I order for Co. Clare it comes from Limerick which is about a 20k distance, so hopefully it will reach you.

• Advertisement

We might actually get you to spend your money in Sligo after all Mr T!

Well as above, the site isn't set up for it yet, but when I order for Co. Clare it comes from Limerick which is about a 20k distance, so hopefully it will reach you.

Hooray!! That would be amazing! I hate grocery shopping, it would be brilliant. And yes it would mean I spent my money in sligo.;)

Otherwise I can get it delivered to the IT from september onwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Noticed this at the weekend alright.. but couldn't sign up with my address either!

It's a shame as they do 1c delivery specials quite often.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is definitely happening as one of my friends is doing the deliveries for them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

:) I'm never leaving the house again.

Any idea on when it will be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Anyone able to register?

I have tried legitimite addresses in Dublin and Galway for the craic and its almost impossible.

Any danger they'll come out to Drumcliffe I wonder.

Jesus I'd save a fortune, I'm a disaster for not sticking to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I live in the wilds near Geevagh and I was able to register using the map to find my location. My nearest home shopping branch is Sligo although I'm nearer to Carrick on Shannon but who cares! :D

wheres the map?

genie wrote: »
    I live in the wilds near Geevagh and I was able to register using the map to find my location. My nearest home shopping branch is Sligo although I'm nearer to Carrick on Shannon but who cares! :D

TELL US!!! WE WANT IT TOO!!!!

I'm gonna try tomorrow straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Under 'registration' and 'new customers', along with my e-mail address and clubcard number, I put in the name of my house and then the townland but it only picked up on the name of my house and came up with something similar (in Carrick on Shannon) but definitely not my address, so it then gave the option of finding my location on a map of Ireland so I zoomed in on the Geevagh area and it worked. :eek: :D

I'm still a bit sceptical but I'll try a shop/delivery and see if it reaches me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Folks, don't want to burst the bubble too much, but my experience of this in Dublin was very mixed.

The main 'beef' would be when a certain item that you order on-line is unavailable in the store, and the 'picker' places a substitute product in your basket.

e.g Dubliner Cheese, instead of Charleville Cheese, Pepsi instead of Coca Cola, Nescafe instead of Robt Roberts etc....these substitutes are made by the picker, and no contact with the customer takes place...so this can be quite an issue sometimes.

Other things to watch especially with perishables is the date. The online basket tends to get the goods with limited shelf life.

Overall the offer is a good one, but it's not all plain sailing, and obviusoly will only be as good/bad as the people that will be employed/trained in the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There's an option now where you can say "no substitutes" next to picking the item.

so if it's not available you don't get anything at all, which is better. Obviously you don't get charged for it either.

Culchie wrote: »
    Other things to watch especially with perishables is the date. The online basket tends to get the goods with limited shelf life.

We are already used to that in the sligo store;)

Hell I bought some dubliner or charleville cheese (one of the ones with the partly opaque wrapping) from the tesco in Sligo, opened it up and it was all moldy!

it was within its date as well...

Anyway, brought it back and yer wan looked at me like I had two heads asking for a refund.

Xiney wrote: »
    Hell I bought some dubliner or charleville cheese (one of the ones with the partly opaque wrapping) from the tesco in Sligo, opened it up and it was all moldy!
    I'm suprised they didn't try to convince you it was "luxury blue cheese"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Xiney wrote: »

it was within its date as well...

Anyway, brought it back and yer wan looked at me like I had two heads asking for a refund.

We've seen blue bread regularly on the shelves mmmmmm luxury! ;)

• Advertisement

...at least we can avail of the cheaper prices in the Sligo store.

Thinking about this again. Will we get the "Border Prices" or is Tesco online centralised, meaning we would have to pay the higher prices?

Anyone tried it today, or get any word on when it's going live?

well the border prices have come to Galway so maybe they've already been rolled out? dunno.

Anyway they scan the stuff at the counter same as you would if you were shopping (I think) so it's all the one system, I'd say you get the in store price, aka border prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Hi All,

I Though I would try it out, to get the map for the address picker you have
    to fill in all the details in the address boxes. My house doesn't have a number
    so I put in 0. Then the map icon appeared (because it didn't recognise the
    address). I couldn't pick my exact address on the map as I couldn't center the
    map so I emailed tesco, they got back quite fast saying it didn't really matter
    as long as I was close (I assume they'll end up ringing). And just befor you
    commit to buying you can give them dirctions.

Anyways we'll know tomorrow if they can find houses in ballymote.

I'll let ye know.

I wouldn't be buying my meat and maybe not even veg on this because I'd need to be picking it out myself, but I am a disaster for not sticking to my list, so now I can just go down through the list typing in what I want and adding it to the basket. I wonder is there a minimum your order must be. I will save a small fortune on this yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Update:...well sort of.

I saw a Tesco delivery van pulling onto the Rosses Point heading back towards town. He came out of the turn for Cregg House. Why would there be a delivery van if they don't offer deliveries? So I'm thinking it's up and running.

And he was driving very fast, maybe a fairly busy schedule :D

I emailed Tesco and they said it started yesterday.

I've placed an order for tomorrow morning. Like others, my address isn't listed but I picked the closest option and then on checkout you can add in directions to the delivery person, and mobile number, so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I emailed Tesco and they said it started yesterday.

I've placed an order for tomorrow morning. Like others, my address isn't listed but I picked the closest option and then on checkout you can add in directions to the delivery person, and mobile number, so fingers crossed.

I can't wait for your delivery!! Keep us posted.

I got it to accept our address last night.. just enter your address (if you've registered with Dominos website, use the address they quote). If it doesn't find it (it probably won't), just get that woeful map to anywhere in Sligo town and confirm it. It will accept it.

Delivery charges weren't too bad.. they were quoting €4 during the week next week. I'd pay that.. don't know if I'd pay €7.50 as there's somethings I just wouldn't order online and prefer to pick (i.e fruit, veg, meat).

It's just a shame they don't have illustrations of individual products in the catalogue.

It'll take off I'd say.. but I think a lot of people still prefer browsing shelves, but excellent for the elderly and people living outside town!

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    I got it to accept our address last night.. just enter your address (if you've registered with Dominos website, use the address they quote). If it doesn't find it (it probably won't), just get that woeful map to anywhere in Sligo town and confirm it. It will accept it.

Delivery charges weren't too bad.. they were quoting €4 during the week next week. I'd pay that.. don't know if I'd pay €7.50 as there's somethings I just wouldn't order online and prefer to pick (i.e fruit, veg, meat).

It's just a shame they don't have illustrations of individual products in the catalogue.

It'll take off I'd say.. but I think a lot of people still prefer browsing shelves, but excellent for the elderly and people living outside town!

You are right 7.50 is a lot if you live in town. But to us it's only 4.50 more then we would spend on petrol. And with the 1.20 of for parking it's only 3.30.

Still would get my meat from the butcher as we always do. But it probaly means that I get my fruit and veg from the green grocer.

Advertisement