Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying griselinia

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a number of young griselinia hedges that are suddenly having their stems turn black and the leaves turn yellow and eventually die?? Does anyone know what might cause this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

Interesting, my parents griselina hedge is around 15-20 years old and suddenly 2-3 have started to die also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Out of curiosity where did you get them and how much, would love to have this hedge around the site but reckon it will cost a fortune, i think they're in the region of €4/5 a plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Out of curiosity where did you get them and how much, would love to have this hedge around the site but reckon it will cost a fortune, i think they're in the region of €4/5 a plant.

I see your from Galway. Theres a garden centre on the Milltown side of Tuam, (on your right) selling variegated grisellinia for €2.95. Decent sized plant too.I was going to get them, but I have warned off by a horticulturist, as apparently they can die for no reason in the future (as this thread is proving) and are susceptible to frost.

PM me and I can find there number if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have lost a random amount of plants this season, the latest a fuchia,

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

Plants need three main nutrients to survive known as macronutrients. These are Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium which are abbrieviated to N,P and K.

Yellow leaves is a sign that your plants are lacking in the nutrient nitrogen.

What you need to do firstly is remove the yellow leaves. Your plants are focusing their energy on trying to repair these leaves so growth will be slow until they are removed and the plant can focus its energy elsewhere.
    Once these leaves are gone, you need to provide your plant with the nitrogen to prevent them going yellow again.

Solution for yellow leaves:
    On the front of fertilisers you shall see something like this:

N - P - K
    5 - 3 - 2

The letters N,P and K are the nutrients Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium. The numbers are the percentage of each nutrient found in the fertiliser.
    It can be seen here that this fertiliser has a higher nitrogen level than the other two and thus, this would be an ideal fertiliser to get rid of your yellow leaves.

Solution for black stems:
    I'm guessing that this is caused by a fungus which has infected your plants. Fungus likes damp conditions so you may have poorly drained soil.

The only way that this can be resolved is to removed and bin all infected plants, dump the soil that they were growing in and wash and disinfect the planting boxes or wherever they were growing before reusing.

(double check this though, i dont want you binning all your plants and then blaming me if they were actually healthy :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

It sounds like a wilt fungus, but don't bin the plants yet. Remove the black stems. If other plnts are affected take more drastic action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

Ding Dong wrote: »
    I have a number of young griselinia hedges that are suddenly having their stems turn black and the leaves turn yellow and eventually die?? Does anyone know what might cause this?
    It sounds like a wilt fungus, but don't bin the plants yet. Remove the black stems. If other plnts are affected take more drastic action.

Advertisement