Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DB Bus stops

• 13-07-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭

DB have, in their infinite, wisdom replaced some of the posters in the bus stops. They have removed the OSI map and replaced it with a panel saying that the map has been removed(!) and will be replaced with a better (spider) map in about 18 months time.

The thought process behind this was staggering:

1. They removed the perfectly okay map
    2. They replaced it with a sign saying 'sorry we removed your map'
    3. They won't put up another map for 18 months'
    4. They could have used the space to put up some of the other timetables
    5. They paid someone to print the new notice, take down the old one and put up the new one - with less information than before

Who on earth thought that was worth doing? Earth to DB, is anyone there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

markpb wrote: »
    DB have, in their infinite, wisdom replaced some of the posters in the bus stops. They have removed the OSI map and replaced it with a panel saying that the map has been removed(!) and will be replaced with a better (spider) map in about 18 months time.

The thought process behind this was staggering:

1. They removed the perfectly okay map
    2. They replaced it with a sign saying 'sorry we removed your map'
    3. They won't put up another map for 18 months'
    4. They could have used the space to put up some of the other timetables
    5. They paid someone to print the new notice, take down the old one and put up the new one - with less information than before

Who on earth thought that was worth doing? Earth to DB, is anyone there?

I think we all know the answer to that unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That defies logic, to be honest I can not actually believe it :D Got a picture maybe? If so it deserves to be on one of those joke emails depicting stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Photo attached - sorry about the poor quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Markpb, it doesn't surprise me, when they put the new trueform style bus stops in, they took the old poles out the ground and put the new ones in saying information coming soon, six weeks later they eventually finished most of the stops they replaced. Why they couldn't wait until they had the information printed and replaced them with the information at the same time, saving time and no doubt money.

Their explanation to me was that you could always go online or phone them up, but you shouldn't have to. and going online is no help when your standing at a bus stop. No doubt someone will come on here now and say it is short term pain for long term gain, however at the end of the day this is another clear indication that Dublin Bus have absloutely no idea of how to provide a proper information service to customers, and amazingly for a company that is so financial stricken, continue to throw money down thr drain.

It's interesting that they are replacing maps though that are not broken, because there are many areas in the city where the wrong timetables are up, and some huge mistakes or out of date information on some information panels, such as the ones at Blanchardstown Centre that list the 39 as a circular route from Hawkins Street to Hawkins Street, the 236/237/238 being 1 euro rather than 1.15 (Be interesting to see what they did if you only paid 1.00 because thats what they advertise), and still has the old 39 timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am gobsmacked. Thanks for the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

That's ****ing hilarious! Thanks to DB for giving me a good laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Aww, I love the OSI maps. When I'm out aimlessly wandering around, they were very handy for getting me unlost. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bearded1

Are there costs involved for reproducing OSI maps? Like a licence fee or something?
    Perhaps DB is attempting to save a few quid by using a route network map?

Shame to lose the OSI maps, they're very very handy for anyone not familiar with the local area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

bearded1 wrote: »
    Are there costs involved for reproducing OSI maps? Like a licence fee or something?
    Perhaps DB is attempting to save a few quid by using a route network map?

Shame to lose the OSI maps, they're very very handy for anyone not familiar with the local area.

I'd say that's exactly what has happened...

It is a shame. The ideal solution would have been to retain the local map and add a spider map, while doing away with the accessible services diagram.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

[QUOTE=bearded1;61117221

]Are there costs involved for reproducing OSI maps? Like a licence fee or something?

[/QUOTE]

There is and it can be expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect they changed the timetables, but hadn't yet updated the map, so rather than publish a wrong map, they published none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote: »
    I suspect they changed the timetables, but hadn't yet updated the map, so rather than publish a wrong map, they published none.

That's probably true but the panel could better have been replaced by another timetable or more useful information and a smaller box used to tell people that the map would be replaced soon. Even if there is a logical reason for this madness, the solution is a poor one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bearded1

Do dublin bus still issue local service guides? I feel some vigilante map insertion coming on if so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bearded1 wrote: »
    Do dublin bus still issue local service guides? I feel some vigilante map insertion coming on if so...
    I think so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

A full set of local guides have not been published for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

There really is a disgraceful amount of bus stops around the city with literally no information on them at all. In some cases bus stops were painted, with the head plate changed to plain black - removing route information in the process.

A lot of routes which changed during the recent route revision are still displaying old timetables.

Some of the new style bus stops are missing key routes and information. For example, the busy bus stop on College Green for Route 49/65 has no timetable at all. The panels are filled with tour bus information, a pre-paid ticket price list and a picture of a wheel, reminding passengers to wait until the wheels stops before boarding a bus.

There is no excuse for this poor customer service. If a passenger goes to a bus stop they should at least know what bus stops there, and where possible, a timetable should be displayed and up to date.

I understand Dublin Bus went through a rebranding process last year, but I don't agree with replacing bus stops unless new customer information is ready to go. I think passengers would rather have a blue bus stop with route information and timetables instead of a yellow pole just saying "bus".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Wow thanks for this!

I was at my local bus stop today and saw that the map was removed. I was getting panicky as no one put up the warning. Thanks for telling us all about this. I was pulling my hair out wondering where my map was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I love the fact that the timetable online is different then the one on the bus stop and the fact that neither of them correspond to when the buses actually leave the terminus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The not-quite-terminus of the 66 - the first stop where you can actually officially board as there is no pole at where the bus turns/idles a few hundred yards away - hasn't had a set of timetables since possibly when the poles were painted blue from green let alone blue to yellow!

I suspect it was meant to be put on the glass of the bus shelter when one was eventually erected, but the glass got broken so often that its been perspex for ages - and is broken again now.

Advertisement