Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling along the canal from Sallins to Robertstown

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was looking at cycling along the canal for just a relaxed cycle. Some parts seem to have a towpath, others not. Does anyone know if the stretch from Sallins out towards Roberstown direction is cycle-able ? (on a mountain bike)

What about the canal that swing into Naas at the library, where does that go to ? Doesn't seem to be on Google maps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I've cycled at different times from Landenstown Bridge to Sallins along the towpath and parts on the road. Digby bridge to Sallins is fine as long as it's dry.
    They've recently cleared the side opposite the road between Landenstown and Digby but I've never cycled on it. If it's not suitable the road between those two bridges is really nice aswell. Goes through a cool grove of trees in part and it's only five minutes anyway.
    From Landenstown you have to take the road for another 10 minutes. Can't even walk all of the other side. At the end of the road there is another barrier where the canal veers away from the road to Prosperous. You can follow the path along the canal here all the way to Robertsown. You will pass 2 bridges, The Skew Bridge and Healy's bridge. The path gets a bit narrow between these 2 bridges but it is passable. It might have been improved recently. Healy's bridge to Robertstown is a breeze, raised bank with a fairly flat surface.
    It's a few years since I did some of these sections so they might be better now, but the whole thing is doable.

I love that part of Kildare. Enjoy

Gavin wrote: »
    What about the canal that swing into Naas at the library, where does that go to ? Doesn't seem to be on Google maps

About five minutes out of Sallins along the canal heading towards Robertstown, it splits and one branch goes into Naas and stops at the Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

The canal in Naas eventually ends up in a place called Corbally, which is out the Twomilehouse/Athgarvan direction. I've never walked it but I do have a booklet about the towpaths of Kildare which says it isn't very accessible. Very useful little book.

the more you know :)
    the_more_you_know2-300x197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just to follow up on this. Went out from Naas yesterday along the canal to Robertstown. It was really nice, great little trip. I'm surprised that more people weren't out and about, but maybe it's not well known.

Robertstown itself was disappointing, I thought there might be barges there, but nothing. It's a nice place, clean and tidy, but abandoned. A great route for a cycle, myself and the girlfriend, who doesn't cycle very much, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement