Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a show judge

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

How does one become a horse judge? I heard you had to complete a course in Kildalton College but i cant find any information about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

The Irish Shows Association maintains a list of shows judges - in everything: cattle, homebaking, horses....

Horse judges are categorised and may be qualified to judge any combination of the following:
    ridden
    in hand
    breeding and young stock
    RIDs
    Connemaras
    There may be more headings - I've forgotten!

Every now and then the ISA offers a Course for prospective judges. You've to pass an interview to be accepted onto it - ie you're not there to learn about horses, you're expected to already be an expert. The course teaches you about judging.

It's a few years ago since I did the course. Then it was over 2 years - I think 4 days training followed by junior judging at 4 shows during the summer, repeated again the following year, finishing with a final assessment day.

They must be running something again, because I've been asked to take a junior judge into the ring with me at a show I'm judging at next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Just a quick question re. judges who are classed under the 'ridden' category. Are they categorised under heavy, middle and lightweights, ladies/small hunter and cob -i.e. if they're over 13 stone are they not recommended to judge lightweight/small hunters? Or are they able/qualified to judge all of the categories?

The reason I ask is because I entered my horse in a few lightweight huter classes a few years ago, and while most of the judges were suitable for the classes they were judging, there was one judge who judged a lightweight hunter class (up to 13 stone) who must have been at least 15 or 16 stone (I'm not exaggerating here). My poor horse (who has carried 14 stone easily out hunting all season) literally couldn't walk with her, and staggered off when he was asked to walk off, and really couldn't stride out properly. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do well, despite the fact he was consistently placed in the first 4 in all of his other classes.

I was just wondering if this was a commonplace occurence at shows or I was unlucky on the day to have a judge on the day who was heavier than the advertised conditions for the lightweight class?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

Normally that shouldnt happen. In most shows there is a riden judge and a conformation judge. The ridden judge is small and light enought to ride all the horses and the conformation judge dosent ride at all and is usually the senior judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I hadn't seen it happen to that extreme before, so I was just curious as to whether or not it was a frequent occurrence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

Thanks Chindato, I've been at a fair number of show so far this year and try to predict winners of the show classes. Most of my choices are placed but I rarely seem to be able pick the winner! Thought that the course might help me improve my eye a bit

• Advertisement

rosiec wrote: »
    Most of my choices are placed but I rarely seem to be able pick the winner!

Don't let that put you off - you really need to be in the ring, up close to the horses to see the faults that will have an influence on the placings.

If you want to learn more about conformation, look out for Dr Deb Bennet's 'Secrets of Conformation' video. It's very clear and very detailed and will give you the level of knowledge that a judge would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

rosiec wrote: »
    Thanks Chindato, I've been at a fair number of show so far this year and try to predict winners of the show classes. Most of my choices are placed but I rarely seem to be able pick the winner! Thought that the course might help me improve my eye a bit

If you know any judges you should try and get to do some stewarding for them (i.e. you help them in the ring tell people where to go, taking notes etc). You will learn an awful lot from judges that way. There is always a shortage of willing hands so you shouldn't have trouble getting some opportunities, especially at smaller shows.

shanagarry wrote: »
    If you know any judges you should try and get to do some stewarding for them

A good idea in principle. Just to point out two things:
    1. The shows provide the stewards, not the judges. Perhaps contact your local ag show and offer to volunteer - you'll probably end up on car parking duty though!

2. There isn't a lot of time or opportunity to discuss horses with stewards during classes. Some judges will not appreciate being distracted from the job they're there to do, so be careful how you approach them. You might find that between the classes is the best time to engage a judge in a little chat.

I see the AIRC has a talk on 'functional conformation' at the Horse Show on the SUnday (I think). That might be worth going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Confundor

The Irish Pony Society also take on new judges every year.

The format of the asessment changes from year to year but usually includes completing a day of judging different categories of ponies followed by an interview on your views by a panel of judges pending your sucess you then may have to accompany different senior judges at various shows to gain experience.

There is usually information on www.irishponysociety.ie

Advertisement