Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Defence & Martial Arts; MAI censorship.

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

See this thread. I've no idea what MAI is, but I noticed recently that discussion of them has been censored since 2007, in much the same way MCD was. With the change in boards policy wrt MCD, can discussion of MAI now be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

MAI is not linked to MCD, so seperate rules apply. For now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm aware of that, however the supreme court ruling had nothing to do with MCD. Instead it ruled that an "internet chat room" was not liable for the things discussed on the provided it was moderated and took attack upon receiving a complaint.

Fair enough, thats my interpretation, but the two situations seem very similar. Have the admins discussed removing the censorship of MAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Boston wrote: »
    See this thread. I've no idea what MAI is, but I noticed recently that discussion of them has been censored since 2007, in much the same way MCD was. With the change in boards policy wrt MCD, can discussion of MAI now be allowed?

Joe, why on earth would you want to discuss, or even care about something you know nothing about?

I read the Self Defence & Martial Arts forum and occasionally contribute. I noticed a user being warned about mentioning MAI (which I assume is the publication) and then linked to the sticky at the top of the forum. I'd probably never engage in a discussion about MAI publications, never the less I'd prefer censorship was only used when necessary. Just because a topic isn't going to pop up often doesn't mean it's ok to continue to ban that topic for reasons which no longer apply. It seems discussion of MAI was banned for much the same reason discussion of MCD was banned. As such shouldn't the same reasons for removing the censorship apply to MAI?

All cases are different and discussion of ongoing legal cases can't be allowed but I really don't see the sense in keeping the censorship in place in light of the betfair ruling and the boards.ie policy change. If the admins say there's a valid reason but that they can't disclose it on an open forum, I'll fully except that, but at the moment it just looks like an oversight.

Do you go around searching out causes to champion?

/shrug

by the way, I know nothing about it, I just find it bizarre that anyone would go out of the way to highlight something like that.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you'd like to explain what was wrong with starting a Helpdesk query? It's not like a started a feedback thread. This is the correct place to ask questions of the administration is it not? Now I've said I use the forum in question, and I've also explained how I came across this issue. I didn't do any searching. I see this as an oversight, and I'm highlighting it, where's the problem, why the need for drama?

Drama?

A simple question my dear, a simple question...

So is mine? I find the question of "Why do you care", slightly ironic considering the nature of boards, I mean its not like you're paid staff.

I find the question of "Why do you care", slightly ironic considering the nature of boards,

Do you?
    Explains a lot tbh.

Anyway, I have no idea what MAI is.

perhaps you have contacted the mods in question to figure it out?

Do you?

Do I need any better reason then the fact I post in that forum, to care about what's censored in it? As an admin you care about all of boards.ie to some degree but you don't use all of it or even most of it. Hence I find it ironic you brining into question my motivation.

Maybe a change in tact, what would be a legitimate reason for caring in your view?

As for contacted a moderator, I have been in contact with one of the mods. It doesn't matter if MAI is a club or a publication, the only pertinent information would be why discussion was banned in the first place, a question I think sensible for me not to ask.

• Advertisement

Do I need any better reason then the fact I post in that forum, to care about what's censored in it? As an admin you care about all of boards.ie to some degree but you don't use all of it or even most of it. Hence I find it ironic you brining into question my motivation.

Maybe a change in tact, what would be a legitimate reason for caring in your view?

As for contacted a moderator, I have been in contact with one of the mods. It doesn't matter if MAI is a club or a publication, the only pertinent information would be why discussion was banned in the first place, a question I think sensible for me not to ask.

Sorry Joe, I think you have got the whole wrong end of the stick. in fact, I think you may have the wrong stick altogether.

I was merely curious in the way that if someone stopped to knowck on the door of a house just to find out why they painted their door green, I would also ask 'why do you care'.

I am actually looking into it.

By the way, your use of the term irony doesn't stand up. Your motivation and my use of boards have nothing in common. :)

I'll see what I can find with regards MAI.. Seems that no one knows the answer.

Ah yes, but if I live in the house and there was a rule that said the fence always had to be pained green, I'd be curious as to why such a rule existed. I use the forum, a quick look shows that I've posted in four of the threads on the main page and I read it a fair bit. I'd prefer a situation whereby people weren't threatened with bans and I think the moderators would also prefer not to issue them (Though I in no way speak for the mods).

I'll see what I can find with regards MAI.. Seems that no one knows the answer.

Thats all I ask, thank you.

Advertisement