Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather from now to the end of August.

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

Is there any let up in sight from this crap weather ? 4 times average rainfall for the first 12 days of July in the south east and bucketing down as I type :mad:. So is there any reason to be optimistic about having a settled spell any time over the the next six or seven weeks - I think I'm suffering from SAD in the middle of summer :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

I seem to remember RTE had an amatuer forecaster on the radio back in april/ may. He said May wouldn't be great, June would be very good weather, July would be wet but August would be very good. So far he has been accurate enough. But woman from Met Eireann, her name esacapes me at the moment just sneered at his predictions.
    Apparently Jet steam is bang over us at the moment just like the last 2 summers, it needs to move more north and let the azores high move north. PLease please ..............

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Yeah I heard Evelyn Cusack's farming forecast yesterday and she mentioned that jet stream being south of the country all right - same as last year so I suppose. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We are fupped again, another washout though not as bad as last year. Until the sunspot cycle turns into active mode we are prolly stuck with this.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather
    The summer so far had two areas of major warmth, one where it was supposed to be ( southeast Europe) one where it wasnt ( spain) with a cool patch over Scandinavia. I suspect that what I did not count on, the negative AO< which may be because of extra volcanic activity shooting so2 into the stratosphere which leads to warming there may be helping out, but I am not as well versed on this as I have to be make sure that is the reason. However relaxation of this pattern and the overall trend of the summer should lead to it warming in Scandinavia and cooling in Spain and in the end the summer, the combination of the very warm mediterranean and the occurrence of the el nino, which is a symptom of the global pattern in this case not the cause, should leave us with a pretty darn good summer idea overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Well as John Eaglton pointed out a few days ago on his forecast, we are sandwiched between 2 highs, one to the north in Greenland and the south, the Azores. And in between we have the relentless flow of the river of low pressures, and unfortunately we happen to be in the middle of this flow. I just hope August is much better:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluestar87

Does anyone know how to measure rainfall with just a basin/cylinder?

jetstream_atl_init_00.gif

As you can see from this latest image, the jet stream is right over us, which explains the crappy weather we are getting at the moment. It needs to move more northerly if we have any chance of high pressure developing! Doesn't look like its going to be happing any time soon :(

nexstorm.png

Some nice storms cropping up at the moment in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Does anybody know any website or have any idea for what the weather may be like next week?
    thanks

I'm afraid it doesn't look very good. The same pattern we are having this week looks like its going to repeat itself next week with a Low coming in on Sunday and hanging around for most of the week.:mad:

• Advertisement

Blazing sun a certainty for Sept 1st, no chance before then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

secman wrote: »
    I seem to remember RTE had an amatuer forecaster on the radio back in april/ may. He said May wouldn't be great, June would be very good weather, July would be wet but August would be very good. So far he has been accurate enough. But woman from Met Eireann, her name esacapes me at the moment just sneered at his predictions.
    Apparently Jet steam is bang over us at the moment just like the last 2 summers, it needs to move more north and let the azores high move north. PLease please ..............

Secman
    What country were you in for May and June? It certainly wasn't Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

Your memory fails you, weather in may 09 was not great, June was pretty good, we had a scandanavian High which gave us very hot and humid conditions. July has been ok temps but very wet due to position of Jet Stream.

Today is Thursday !

Secman

I dunno, my idea of a summer is when anything but a t-shirt and shorts would be wearing too much
    The weather definately affects your mood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I dunno, my idea of a summer is when girls wearing anything but a t-shirt and shorts would be wearing too much
    The weather definately affects your mood

Agreed!:D

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

thats some heavy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

god I would be thinking bed would be a good idea for August then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

You guys might want to check this out.

This weather we're having now was predicted as far back as March!!

Look under Summary report.

https://www.predictweather.co.nz/ass...home.php?id=68

September will be the best month they say.

Not found :(

Anyway thats Ken Whatshisname who pops up on The Last Word a couple of times a year to make his predictions.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/ pressure charts are looking more hopefull

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Not found :(

l

this is what they said:

Monday 30th March 2009

SUMMER REPORT
    Summer may be fairly wet over some months but not as bad as last year. There may be more sunshine this year, with temperatures not all that high. On the whole consistently warmer days may not arrive for most until later in the season, probably in the start of and then after June.
    For the rest of summer:
    JUNE, many areas dry for the first fortnight over most of the country and temperatures above 20degC, unsettled in second half.
    JULY, a mainly wet month for all. Parts of the north, west and east have chances of dry days only between 12th-17th.
    AUGUST, another wet month for all, with the east the chance of dry windows 4th-9th and 21st-25th and the SOUTH some sun 25th-30th.
    SEPTEMBER, likely to be the warmest and most summery month for all, with best of summer weather between 6th-17th for the whole country.

So for all; time to plan holidays and picnics may be:
    In north: Sept 7th-22nd, in west:: Sept, 4th-21st, in east: Sept 7th-23rd and 27th-30th, and in south: Sept 6th-17th.

• Advertisement

hmmm I have to say things look promising as the stand at the moment for next weekend, with the Azores High coming back into play which is a welcome relief from the record rainfall we have gotten in July!! Lets just hope these charts stay true and that the Lows get pushed more northerly!

avnpanel1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Great work GreenGiant.Could be a quite good field mushroom season!

Advertisement