Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood crushes

Options
  • 13-07-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

When you were a kid, did you have a tendency to fall in love or were you a "ew cooties" type?

I was definitely the former. Nearly every year I was in love with a new boy, haha. It was horrific too because I was never able to hide it :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I was definitely a "fall in love" type as a child!! I used to be overwhelmed by the whole experience and spend my spare time day dreaming about the object of my affections!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

I found my diaries that I wrote from the ages 8 to about 12 and am so embarrassed about most of what I wrote. It went fom one boy to the next everyday.

There was also a weird obsession with Prince William at the time. Some of the stuff I wrote has me cringing right now at the memory! :o

Prince William lost the hawtness something horrid.

My best friend and I thought we HAD to marry each other growing up. :D
    This drove us both demented. So we would knock lumps out of other when it was brought up.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Prince William lost the hawtness something horrid.

Yup - the receeding hairline is a bad... and he had showed such promise.

I've moved onto Harry :o

Also had a weird crush on Ray Darcy growing up....

shivvyban wrote: »

Also had a weird crush on Ray Darcy growing up....

YOMG! Me too, although I had managed to suppress that memory. To be fair his eyes are very blue, and personality doesnt count for much when your 8.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    YOMG! Me too, although I had managed to suppress that memory. To be fair his eyes are very blue, and personality doesnt count for much when your 8.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't told him that he was my first crush when I met him on Arnotts and he broadcasted it to everyone in Ireland the next day on the radio! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

I would become obsessed with them. I would tell my cousins about them that lived in different counties and didnt know the boy. I would say, he was my boyfriend and make up RIDICULOUS fantasy stories about kissing etc. Even though I would go to pieces if he ever talked to me even. HAHAHA

My first celeb crush was Matthew Fox in party of five!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Even then, I was a serial monogamist . . . My second most serious relationship was when I was nine years old; we stayed together for the better part of two years! And then we got to middle school and realized he was a pre-adolescent boy and started to be a jerk.

But that's another story . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nah I had no crushes, came form beingin a mixed primary school, guys weren't some big mystery, they were just your friends. That said, I did "go out" with a guy in 6th class for a few months to be "cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

When I was about ten and Boyzone were really cool, I wanted to marry Ronan Keating! I actually was in love with him.... Then he married someone else.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i remember my first *wuv* or crush was a boy called paul at a summer camp when i was 8. i didn't know what was going on all i knew was i wanted to be beside him and i wanted him to like me.
    i remember him calling me weird because i dressed up as a boy one day because i felt the camp discriminated against girls when it came sports (i fooled a few into believing by changing my clothes and wearing a hat). that made me sad.
    the most attractive feature was his eyebrows, big and hairy. i didn't have another crush until 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Yea, there were girls i used to **** over when i was younger..

Oh how different men and women are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I had no crushes when i was younger that was until i did my Junior Cert, suddenly the year after i fell hard for a guy in my french class and was mute around him my crush was so bad.
    Now at 26 when he "friended" me on facebook i got a little thump thump and butterflies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

yes major crushes in fact i was a junior bunny boiler.

I was about to reply that it was mostly movie stars i liked and not RL boys but i have just remembered literally stalking boys i liked hanging out by their homes and jobs :o

sweet jesus the embarrassment

and for the girls that fancied Ray D'arcy, me (being older) fancied Ian Dempsey :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oh God yes, I was terrible. Writing their names all over my books and everything. I remember once one of them saw "I <3 Conor" on my book, I was mortified, pretended to be off sick for the rest of the week and dreaded going back because everyone knew and took the piss. Kids are mean lol But I deserved it looking back for being such a stalker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I had so many crushes over the years but a few really big ones stand out.

- The boy I loved from when I was 5 years old to when I was 11 and moved away. He's on my facebook now and I think I still love him a little bit.
    - The guy I went embarrassingly gaga over when I was 13/14. I asked my friend to ask him out for me, so she did and told me he said no. I was absolutely crushed and cried into my pillow for a week, because I'd been sure he liked me too. Months later I found out she didn't even ask him because she was jealous! I kind of stopped hanging out with her after that.
    - The guy from across the street. Basically the boy next door. Went stupid in his presence for most of my teenage years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Awww yeah :o I had a few....

First one I can remember was when I was about 5 or 6.....him and his mate used to chase me round the yard playing kiss chasing.....oh how I protested! :p

Second one when I was about 9.....fancied the pants off this boy, was delighted when we were partnered together for the school Céilí. I remember waiting in the hallway for our turn and he got down on his knee, said I was the best céilí partner ever and would I promise to be his partner for the next one :D Bit dramatic for a nine year old but I was well chuffed :pac:

Then there was my secondary school crush....that lasted years and ALL the girls knew....never told the guy and eventually weaned myself off him in about 3rd/4th year? Then come our 6th year graduation, Head Girl made a speech about how things had changed since our very first year and gave some silly little anecdotes relating to how we were at that age etc etc one example was how I was madly in love with this lad :o In front of him and ALL the classmates, parents and teachers :o MORT-I-FIED. I got such a ribbing for it the whole evening :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I was in love with Jet:

JetDianePA_468x597.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was never overly interested in the opposite sex as a kid... or a teenager for that matter really...

Pretty sure I had a thing for Princess from Battle of the Planets though.

princess2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I was in love with Jet:

JetDianePA_468x597.jpg

me to...

Tho I also had a thing for paula yates when I was 13 great boobs :D

Paula_Yates_4.jpg
    when she did the big breakfast and Denise Van Outen and my next door neighbor she's so hot saw her about 12 months ago for the first time in 7 years and i was like :eek: thankfully i dont faint or loose the ability to talk any more when i fancy some one.... :D......

Daisy duke from the dukes of hazards :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Love this thread! Got me thinking about all those crushes!!

Kept diaries, like another poster has said, and I cringed reading back on them. I remember fancying this guy on the school bus called Alan, like mad. One day there were no seats, so I got to stand near him by the step-well of the old city buses.. but as we rounded a corner, I lost my grip and swung around crashing into him while madly saying 'sorry sorry gosh sorry!". I was about 14 and my life was over (for that week)!

I went to a convent school so boys were pretty much a no-no. I had two family friends, who were cousins to each other and again, I was madly in love with both of them. I'd come to school raving about having spoken to one of them in church or whatever (prob just a 'hi' because i was too red faced and nervous to say more) and because none of the girls in the class knew them I felt real superior knowing boys! Cringe. Prob about 12.

Celebrity wise, I fancied Macauley Culkin, yer man Kevin from the Wonder Years, Ray D'arcy (who didn't) and I'm sure there were a few fellas who popped up in Smash Hits that I adored...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I had huge crushes!

I'd just choose someone and be crazy about them for extended periods of time!

I remember liking two guys who were best friends, in primary school. At my 11th Birthday party, they both told me they liked me. Then climbed a tree to hide and shield their embarrassment! :P
    While they were up there, I decided which one I liked more. I called them down and explained my choice and my logic ; I liked one more because he'd "look better in a leather jacket"

... One of them reminded me of that story when I ran into him, 10 years later, a few months ago! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ahahahah!

that's brilliant :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I had lots of "boyfriends" when i was young. When I was 5 I had Shane, who thought we got married every time we kissed and he would say; lets go behind the couch and get married again.:D At 6, tired of trying to explain to Shane that we were kissing, not marrying I met Stephen, who lived near my grandmother. At 7, Michael who was definitely my favourite as he had the best comic collection in our area and he used to give me his doubles.;)

Then we moved house and I had Gerard, who I "married" in a ceremony in the garden of the kids who lived in between him and my best friend. And we had 61p worth of penny sweets to celebrate. When I was 10-12 I had another Stephen who I taught how to knit and he gave me my very first Valentines card when I was 11 and I was the first person in my class to get one.

But once I became a teenager all my early successes meant nothing.:( Teenage boys aren't into girls who can climb trees and beat them at football. At least they aren't if she still looks like she's 9. I was so completely in love with a guy called Keith, as were all my friends. We used to adore him, he was all metaller/indie and had a leather jacket, played music and was just so adorable looking. My friends went to a school near where he did and once they told me that he had asked one of them out on the school bus. I was so heartbroken, I remember trying to be nice about it, but just wanting to go home and cry and cry. After what felt like hours they couldn't stop laughing and told me they were only joking.:mad: I should have felt mad but I was just so happy he wasn't dating my friend.

I was crazy about him for about 3 years but nothing ever happened apart from the occasional exchange. Eventually my crush fizzled out and I grew up and started having real relationships. When I was 22 I ran into him and he told me his band was playing a gig in a pub/club we often went to. I went and they were honestly pretty brilliant. We started hanging out a bit and after a few months started dating. We had almost nothing in common, apart from liking similar music and Kevin Smith movies, but I was just completely indulging my 13 year old self. I wanted to go back in time and jump around my bedroom with the teenage me every time he text me. It didn't last very long, but I still feel a little thrill for the teenager in me. I was talking to my best friend from my teens a couple of weeks ago and we were talking about how much she used to fancy him and how jealous she was that I eventually dated him, even though she was engaged to her husband at the time.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^Excellent story!

Advertisement