Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athenaeum House Hotel

• 13-07-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Anyone been to or had a wedding at this hotel? I haven't seen it yet but it looks really nice from the pictures. Does anyone know how many people the restaurant holds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I was at a business conference there once, was very impressed by everything i saw. The restaurant part we had lunch in could probably hold 50 people but there could have been add-on rooms i didnt see. The food was great too. The back gardens look out onto the river and directly across from reginalds tower and the marina and would probably hold a big marque. Definetly worth looking into for something like a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hi. I've not been to a wedding there but I know some people who have and they've recommended it. As the previous poster has said the restaurant could cater for about 50 people, probably slightly more. It's a long thin room, rather than square shaped. But for a wedding they add a marquis to the hotel which significantly increases the capacity. Some pictures can be found here.

http://www.athenaeumhousehotel.com/gallery.php

The hotel has a wonderful view over the city also so I'd imagine it would be a good location for wedding pictures. I've never stayed at the hotel but had a look in some of the rooms, all very nice. Ate at the restaurant too and it was lovely.

I'm in the same triathlon club as Stan, the owner of the hotel. He's hosted a few club events at the hotel and we've always been well looked after. I'm sure he does a good job with weddings as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a shocking website, all gizmos and little actual content.

Lunch looks well priced though apart from the soup.

ps shouldn't this be in the Co Kilkenny forum? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Went to the afters of a funeral a good while ago , they were very unproffesional they didn't put on enough soup, it was a miserable day and people had to wait untill they boiled up some more and the bar counter was so small about 4 people could only get to it and there was a non-national serving that hadn't a clue what people wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Been to a wedding here recently and was very impressed. Sat about 100 people for the meal. food and service excellent. Nice intimate venue for a wedding in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Waynecarr wrote: »
    Been to a wedding here recently and was very impressed. Sat about 100 people for the meal. food and service excellent. Nice intimate venue for a wedding in my opinion

Was everyone in the same room for the meal? I wouldn't like the party to be broken up.

I e-mailed the hotel yesterday and haven't received a reply yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Had my Wedding reception their in 2006. We only had 31 people at it and I think it was their first small wedding they had done. I found it very nice so did everyone else. I was a bit worried before going their but was well happy with it at the end of the day.

Also it was a spraoi weekend and the live music across the river + the fireworks made it even better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

luvlylady wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Was everyone in the same room for the meal? I wouldn't like the party to be broken up.

I e-mailed the hotel yesterday and haven't received a reply yet.

Some were where the dancelfoor would be later on in the night so the seating for the room was in effect in a T shape with the majority sitting on the top of the T if that makes sense. Did not effect the atmosphere I thought but I was in the majority area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Waynecarr wrote: »
    Some were where the dancelfoor would be later on in the night so the seating for the room was in effect in a T shape with the majority sitting on the top of the T if that makes sense. Did not effect the atmosphere I thought but I was in the majority area

I can't really picture that, I'd need to see it!

Got a reply from the hotel anyway so might go and view it. Their "unique selling point" is that the hotel is exclusively yours for the day. They don't tell you on the website that that's only if you book most of their bedrooms - sure wouldn't it be the case anywhere that if I booked the place up it would be exclusively mine?! Lol!

Advertisement