Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prevent Lag

• 13-07-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,153 ✭✭✭✭

Hey

Whats the best way to try and reduce lag? I was playing Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 online for the first time last night and it was unbearable (not the game, the lag :p)

I have a Netopia router with Eircom (not sure which exact router, I can check when I get home later). Its connected wirelessly to the 360. I can't connect by ethernet cable as the router is the too far away in another room and I can't move the router from where it is. Is there anything else I can do? Any specific ports or something I could open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Hey

Whats the best way to try and reduce lag? I was playing Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 online for the first time last night and it was unbearable (not the game, the lag :p)

I have a Netopia router with Eircom (not sure which exact router, I can check when I get home later). Its connected wirelessly to the 360. I can't connect by ethernet cable as the router is the too far away in another room and I can't move the router from where it is. Is there anything else I can do? Any specific ports or something I could open?

I don't have problems playing most games, but Smackdown tends to have horrific lag. I think you're going to have to live with it if it's the only one you have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I played wirelessly on my xbox 360 with no problems. It depends on where your opponent is located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,153 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't think I ever had problems with other games, although I don't play online much. Only 360 game I ever really played online was SF4, but I think after the first few weeks the lag stopped because so many people had been playing it at the one time. Only bought SVR09 yesterday, so hadn't played it online before. I think my opponents last night were American. Probably explains it.

Ah well, thats me sorted then. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

You can prevent the lag in some games where they give you an option of picking the locale where it will look for a game for you. I find alot of times have no problem with lag when playing against british or americans,probably cause they have decent connections.Mainly get lag though playing against mid european players , don't know if its cause they have worse connections or what.Like what was said, it really depends on who you're playing or the game.Alot of the time when a new game comes out if a lot of people are playing the servers get swamped and bad lag occurs or like in games like gears of war 2 where there is no dedicated server the rest of the players are counting on the hosts connection,if the connection is weak or even around 3mb,which is fine in most games, bad lag occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Make sure noone is downloading anything on your end.

As said previous, it will all depend on the location of your opponent aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

At least you're not playing Gears of Lag 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,153 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I tried playing it when it first came out. By god it was awful.

Modern Warfare 2 is going to be laggy as hell when it comes out. I'm going to head straight for the single player and finish it first. If its anything like COD4 it should be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

At least you're not playing Gears of Lag 2.

Just because you never get host :( Boohoo play with a group of people from ireland and the connections are great even if the host is in europe your good if not your screwed.
    But thats the same as most games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

GOW2 annoys me so much, but I always go back for more:D

Advertisement