Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to cut a new lawn

Options
  • 13-07-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My back garden (1/2 acre) was sown with fresh seed 4 weeks ago and with the current wet and mild weather, the grass is really shooting up. However, I still think its a bit early to go cutting it (I'm not being lazy, honest ;)) so when should I have a go at giving it its first trim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

I'd personally give it a few more weeks and cut it very high.
    Also make sure the soil is quite dry (to minimise disturbance of the soil)

Finally Id recommend to pick up the grass (dont mulch) as new grass can be quite acidic and could damage the new lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Cuchulain wrote: »
    I'd personally give it a few more weeks and cut it very high.
    Also make sure the soil is quite dry (to minimise disturbance of the soil)

Finally Id recommend to pick up the grass (dont mulch) as new grass can be quite acidic and could damage the new lawn.

+1

6-8 weeks is what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

My lawn was sown two weeks ago (1/20 of an acre ;)) and cut after 13 days. Measured it at about 100mm and cut it to 70mm, looks fantastic.

Hope I haven't cut it too soon... but it looks fine so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

rocknchef wrote: »
    +1

6-8 weeks is what they say

6 to 8 weeks is the norm. If you cut it earlier you can disturb the roots (which are only getting established) and end up pulling lumps out of the lawn. Also cut high and make sure your blade (if you are using a blade) is sharp.

Advertisement