Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending texts to northern ireland

• 13-07-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

I've a meteor pre pay phone and its costing a fortune texting a mobile in the north. does anyone know who does the best deals for texting and phoning the uk. about time i got a bill phone anyway.....
    thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I second this idea. I don't think a billphone is neccessarily the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

I'm currently a O2 PAYG customer. I'm moving north for a few months. I'll be travelling home to Dublin for weekends.

I'm wondering should I get a sim for the UK or just carry on with my ROI sim ?

I presume no network treats the island of Ireland as one, or offers deals on such ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I was on 02 and were the most expensive for all roaming (they counted ni/uk same as rest of west europe). I found vodafone passport(free to receive in ni/uk and 29c + usual rate to make) or 3 were best for roaming ni/uk, but worth looking around the websites as they all changed at start of july to fall in line with eu pricing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I was on 02 and were the most expensive for all roaming (they counted ni/uk same as rest of west europe).

Not so. O2 do not charge to receive calls in NI, if you are on the O2 network. You may have to activate this. They do generally charge the usual Euro rate in GB, which is fair enough.

If you are mostly talking to people in the south then just keep your regular phone and set to manual network roaming to keep it on the network that you get the deal from. O2 would be OK as you'd not be charged to receive calls, making calls to landlines and Irl mobiles would be about the same and you could use Cabbage to send texts to UK mobiles. Oddly enough Tesco have a pretty good deal on NI roaming too, check these out.

Warning : The calls will be OK but stay off the data though, except for the likes of Cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

ardmacha wrote: »
    Not so. O2 do not charge to receive calls in NI, if you are on the O2 network. You may have to activate this. They do generally charge the usual Euro rate in GB, which is fair enough.

If you are mostly talking to people in the south then just keep your regular phone and set to manual network roaming to keep it on the network that you get the deal from. O2 would be OK as you'd not be charged to receive calls, making calls to landlines and Irl mobiles would be about the same and you could use Cabbage to send texts to UK mobiles. Oddly enough Tesco have a pretty good deal on NI roaming too, check these out.

Warning : The calls will be OK but stay off the data though, except for the likes of Cabbage.

Yeah, mostly texts to the south. I'll be at a PC during the day, so webtexts will sort that & will have a landline for evening calls if needed.

My main worry was being charged for recieving texts, but with the new rules it seems to be a nicely timed move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mully wrote: »
    Yeah, mostly texts to the south. I'll be at a PC during the day, so webtexts will sort that & will have a landline for evening calls if needed.
    you don't have to be at a pc to use webtexts :)
    Mully wrote: »
    My main worry was being charged for recieving texts, but with the new rules it seems to be a nicely timed move.

No network has ever charged for receiving texts abroad to my knowledge

Advertisement