Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty

Options
  • 13-07-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Can you be charge import duty on shipping charges :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I bought an item from China which cost €19 (€22 and above you pay duty), shipping cost €10, total €29 and now I've been told this morning I have to pay import duty on the product.

Surely it's wrong to add in the shipping charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I bought an item from China which cost €19 (€22 and above you pay duty), shipping cost €10, total €29 and now I've been told this morning I have to pay import duty on the product.

Surely it's wrong to add in the shipping charge ?

It's not wrong, it's the law. You can check all the details on the Revenue website.

Paulw wrote: »
    It's not wrong, it's the law. You can check all the details on the Revenue website.

I did check and I just think it's a bit unfair.

I know you have to pay import duty on goods from outside the EU, but should it not be the case that it is the goods you pay the duty on and not the shipping of the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am not sure about duty on shipping. You certainly pay VAT on it, and they do add the cost of shipping when getting the €22 figure. So actually if you got a letter couriered to you which costed the sender €23 I think you are liable to pay VAT on it.

What was the item? it is quite rare to be charge on items below €45 whether marked gift or not.

I think the cutoff for duty is now €150, but not on the VAT.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not sure about duty on shipping. You certainly pay VAT on it, and they do add the cost of shipping when getting the €22 figure. So actually if you got a letter couriered to you which costed the sender €23 I think you are liable to pay VAT on it.

What was the item? it is quite rare to be charge on items below €45 whether marked gift or not.

I think the cutoff for duty is now €150, but not on the VAT.

I just think they're looking for a quick buck to be honest, item I got is a FM car transmitter for an MP3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Myself and my friend both ordered t-shirts from the same US website on the same day. I paid for regular shipping, and he paid $6 extra for "express shipping".

Both packages arrived on the same day.

The stated value on my package was $45 and I was not charged duty. My friend's package was worth $54 and he was charged €15 duty. Both were marked as "other".

This might indicate that the cut-off is around $50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I did check and I just think it's a bit unfair.
    It's the law; don't like the law then write your politican or vote in someone else to change it.

And no, they are not looking for a "quick buck", they are randomly pulling packages and you got caught. Yes they do target certain items/packages/locations at different times but China/HK/USA tends to always be high on their list.

Nody wrote: »
    It's the law; don't like the law then write your politican or vote in someone else to change it.

And no, they are not looking for a "quick buck", they are randomly pulling packages and you got caught. Yes they do target certain items/packages/locations at different times but China/HK/USA tends to always be high on their list.

Well I've just been onto them and have now been told that there is no duty to be paid :) (shipping charge not included in the calculations)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It would be VAT anyway, as there's no duty on shipping. The VAT is normally applied to the cost of item and shipping. Shipping is a service, and services have VAT applied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement