Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locum losing working hours

Options
  • 13-07-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been fortunate enough to be employed in the civil service since Sept 08, as a locum, covering all forms of leave in a 24 hour office. This has worked out quite well for me so far, plenty of hours, in fact I was frequently doing 10, 15, even 20 hours above the normal fortnightly hours (for which I was getting paid at the basic rate, as a locum I don't get OT rates). All so good, so far, and believe me I understand the value of having any kind of job in the current climate.

However, in the past week, thanks to a number of circumstances, the shifts in the office have been changed, with the result that many of the days I was due to work have vanished, and I now have no idea if I will be working as often as I need to be to earn a decent weekly wage (by that I mean just the regular hours). I seem to be the only person to be suffering financially from this change in shifts, and I'm somewhat disillusioned as I have always made myself available for work, even on very brief notice, even when the hours were above and beyond what anyone else was doing, and I haven't taken a sick day since I have started work there (I'm not counting that as a major achievement, but this is the civil service, we all know the story with sick days there).

Anything I can do, or should do, or should I just put up and shut up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Are there other locum workers that aren't having their hours affected, or is it just that other part- and full-time workers have been re-shuffled so that there is less locum time required. If it's the latter I'd guess that they're deliberately cutting the non-contracted work hours to save money. If it's the former then I'd suggest that you talk to your manager and see why you're coming out worse than other locum workers.

Advertisement