Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Hygienist Cost/Time.

Options
  • 13-07-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I just went to a Dental Hygienist where I paid 65€ for all of 10-12 minutes work at best, which involved using a small drill-thing to clean the bottom of my teeth, A claw tool to scrape out some plaque on a few front teeth, flossed 3-4 teeth (:mad:) and polished a few front teeth (:mad:) . Do they not clean the top of your teeth ? I remember they did in the state hygienist's. but maybe that was to show me how to brush :P

I don't know but that seems like an awful lot of money for such little work, Is that normal practise for a Hygienist ?

Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

It sounds as if your teeth are in pretty good condition if they only required a few minutes work. When I go, I'm in the chair for about three-quarters of an hour, but as my teeth/gums get better from years of neglect, I'm going less often and need less work done. Maybe rather than worrying about the cost, you might give silent thanks you need so little work done!

Seriously, though, I know it's a lot of money, but it's worth going to the hygienist so that any problems can be spotted and remedied before it gets to the stage where the dentist needs to get involved.

I think you can claim on PRSI, and if you're on VHI, you'll get some money back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

Yeah, I suppose its a blessing in disguise:) Not that im great with the ol' oral hygiene with brushing once a day :P I just wonder how many people really brush twice a day ?

I have a fair few fillings I think but as long as I never have to get a tooth out, I'm happy :) (Don't know how realistic that is though :( )

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

Not that im great with the ol' oral hygiene with brushing once a day :P I just wonder how many people really brush twice a day ?

I have a fair few fillings I think but as long as I never have to get a tooth out, I'm happy :) (Don't know how realistic that is though :( )

B.

It only takes 2 minutes to brush them thats only 4 minutes a day, how can people not find the time?? Do it during an ad break!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 toothfairy84

65 euro for dental hygiene treatment is very cheap! Im sure the hygienist did a meticulous job on your teeth, hygienists are much better than dentists at cleanings, periodontal work etc. Bear in mind, that a lot of practices require their hygienist to see patients every 15 minutes, the hygienists would have built up speed over time.

Barry,
    In relation to your post where you said you dont brush your teeth twice a day, and that as long as you dont have to have a tooth extracted, you dont mind, well I have a bit of advice for you.
    If you are not brushing your teeth and gums twice daily, and flossing, you may develop gingivitis, which can in turn lead to periodontitis, a more advanced (and irreversible) stage of gingivitis - commonly known as gum disease. Periodontitis causes bone loss, which makes the teeth loose. So you may end up losing your teeth because your oral hygiene hasnt been up to scratch. Its worth spending 5 or 6 minutes a day brushing and flossing if you want to avoid dentures!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

There's no evidence in the literature regarding the link between gingivitis and periodontitis. I know its a technicality. There is a link between poor oral hygiene and the progression of periodontal disease. Some people will have gingivitis their entire lives and never develop periodontitis. Apparently.

That's not to disagree with the above advice about oral hygiene. Which is important.

If you re-read my post you will see the following: If you are not brushing your teeth and gums twice daily, and flossing, you may develop gingivitis, which can in turn lead to periodontitis....
    note the use of the word MAY. I did not say if you develop gingivitis, you will develop perio, I said you may. As a dental hygienist, I spent two years studying the teeth and gums, with emphasis on oral diseases, including periodontitis and gingivitis. There have also been suggestions that there may be links between heart disease and periodontitis (I personally believe this would be due to smoking and diet etc), and also links between diabetes and periodontitis. Obviously seeing as gingivitis is reversable and perio is not, it does mean someone can have gingivitis for years, or on and off and never develop periodontitis. Some people are not so lucky. It can depend on hereditary factors, general health etc etc.

Similarly, there are people who live with HIV and never develop AIDS. Yet no-one denies the link between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I just wonder how many people really brush twice a day ?

Me since I found out I had advanced gum disease! Once a day brushing wasn't the cause of it, that was genetic thanks very much, but flossing and brushing twice or sometimes more a day is now an essential routine.

The second last time I went to the hygienst she was poking and scraping for nearly an hour and it was agony. The last time it was a quick 10 minute visit and I was delighted. I'm going for a personal best of 5 mins next time. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys, I wish it was easier to keep up on threads you have and not forget about them, like automatic subscriptions :)

Anyway, I never really flossed, even in my best days of oral hygiene. My front teeth are easy but my middle and back teeth are wayyy too crowded to get floss in, and if you do, it doesn't come out in one piece ! :P I don't care what my hygienist says about different fingers to hold the floss or the floss tooth brush thing, it won't work !

Sure, I would have needed two teeth out just for braces, ha ! :pac: That shows you the crowded-ness.

B.

Edit: Just thinking, I would be great to get a good study done on the topic, One over a decade where it followed X amount of people and recorded there eating habits and brushing habits and concluded once and for all the optimal amount of brushing, flossing etc. Diets would have to be similar though.

If you re-read my post you will see the following: If you are not brushing your teeth and gums twice daily, and flossing, you may develop gingivitis, which can in turn lead to periodontitis....
    note the use of the word MAY. I did not say if you develop gingivitis, you will develop perio, I said you may. As a dental hygienist, I spent two years studying the teeth and gums, with emphasis on oral diseases, including periodontitis and gingivitis. There have also been suggestions that there may be links between heart disease and periodontitis (I personally believe this would be due to smoking and diet etc), and also links between diabetes and periodontitis. Obviously seeing as gingivitis is reversable and perio is not, it does mean someone can have gingivitis for years, or on and off and never develop periodontitis. Some people are not so lucky. It can depend on hereditary factors, general health etc etc.

Similarly, there are people who live with HIV and never develop AIDS. Yet no-one denies the link between the two.

You've heard of Professor Noel Claffey then? He's published some interesting papers on the lack of proof that gingivitis definitely leads to periodontitis. Check them out. Oh and I wrote my final year dissertation on "Is there is risk of pre-term birth in pregnant mothers with periodontal disease?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Gingivitis can lead to periodontitis. Not always, but it can. There are obviously other causes of periodontitis, such as hereditary factors, there has also been a suggested link between diabetes and periodontitis. Of course, there are new studies constantly being carried out on it. Big G and Toothfairy - you are both making valid points. But, I will say, there is no definitive and absolute proof that there is no link between gingivitis and periodontitis. So I suggest you both sit tight until there is...although I think toothfairy wasnt actually saying gingivitis always leads to perio...I think Big G may have read that wrong.
    And Big G, you need to relax a little. Nobody cares if you did a dissertation on anything. For all we know, you're a bin-man. Quit blowing your own trumpet. Nobody likes a show-off.

I just come on these forums to try and police a little bit about what is said to people who don't know any better. I don't agree that a forum like this should exist. I think people should ask their dentists any and all of the questions that are asked on here. That is what dentists are there for. I wasn't blowing my own trumpet with the dissertation topic I was replying to Toothfairy's condescending tone. I don't enjoy being patronised by someone who knows less about a topic than I do.

In fact I did not read the article wrong, it says that there is a lack of evidence proving a link between gingivitis and periodontitis. So I'll thank you not to insult my reading or interpretation skills.

ah see that is patronising, "I dont enjoy being patronised by someone who knows less about a topic than I do". This forum seems to be more about people showing off their knowledge, and trying to get one up on eachother than about actually giving advice when people ask for it.
    I agree with you, people should ask their dentists/hygienists etc these questions when they attend for appointments. My point is, and Im not doubting your qualifications, but nobody knows for sure that toothfairy for example is a dental professioonal, or that you are. I think the amount of fighting going on in these forums is very childish too. But thats just my opinion.
    As for the gingivitis/periodontitis debate, I suppose time will give us a definitive answer. My literature review this year was on the link between diabetes and periodontitis. Thats another one with no definitive answer, like so many things in dentistry.

By the way, I didnt insult your reading skills...or any of your other skills. How would I possibly be able to make a judgement on someones skills through this forum?. :)

It doesn't take too much to cop who is in the profession and who isn't. Showing off in here has as much value as does answering the same six questions ad nauseum.

The fact is, this forum wouldn't exist for too much longer if people bothered using the search function. But they keep asking the same questions over and over again because they are not getting the answers that they want to hear. And are not interested in learning about the things that modern dentistry has to offer.

You did actually say that I might have read the article wrong. ;)

Sorry for the rant, but it just pisses me off a little bit sometimes the way that people view the profession. I'm just trying to adjust that a little bit and it doesn't help when people get ill advised over the internet. And yes my comment about gingivitis and periodontitis was pedantic. It's just that I'm protective about dental advice being given by dentists.

Haha fair enough. I actually didnt mean I thought you had read the article wrong, I meant I thought you had read toothfairy's comment wrong. I dont think he/she said gingivitis definitely led to perio....anyway haha we're just going to end up going round in circles. I wonder would it be a good idea to have some sort of official website where people can ask dentally related questions, and get answers from qualified professionals?. Might be an idea. If it was strictly monitored, it would prevent people giving the wrong advice and info like you see so often on this forum.

I also would like to change the way people view the profession by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tuom

Hey Guys,

I just went to a Dental Hygienist where I paid 65€ for all of 10-12 minutes work at best, which involved using a small drill-thing to clean the bottom of my teeth, A claw tool to scrape out some plaque on a few front teeth, flossed 3-4 teeth (:mad:) and polished a few front teeth (:mad:) . Do they not clean the top of your teeth ? I remember they did in the state hygienist's. but maybe that was to show me how to brush :P

I don't know but that seems like an awful lot of money for such little work, Is that normal practise for a Hygienist ?

Barry.

I recently visited the hygienist , I was about 20 mins, but had this approved through PRSI before treatment and cost was covered

Tuom, unfortunately an Bord Snip Nua recommended slashing PRSI Dental Benefit, so the liklihood is that instead of PRSI covering two cleanings per year, this may be decreased to one, or even none depending on your tax bracket!.

Anyway, I never really flossed, even in my best days of oral hygiene. My front teeth are easy but my middle and back teeth are wayyy too crowded to get floss in, and if you do, it doesn't come out in one piece ! :P I don't care what my hygienist says about different fingers to hold the floss or the floss tooth brush thing, it won't work !
    My OH never flosses and says it's because, like you, the floss would come back out in shreds. He went to the same dentist as me who warned me on pain of mass tooth loss to floss twice a day and he told him he didn't need to because his teeth are so close together that food etc couldn't get in between them and only floss if he felt he needed to.

I've got gaps that food could set up camp and live very comfortably in hence my gum disease 'issue' :(

So it's not a one size fits all approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

gccorcaigh wrote: »
    I wonder would it be a good idea to have some sort of official website where people can ask dentally related questions, and get answers from qualified professionals?. Might be an idea. If it was strictly monitored, it would prevent people giving the wrong advice and info like you see so often on this forum..

Unfortunately boards.ie is a free service and the mods hear carry out moderation in their own time for no thanks and a lot of grief. After I first started this forum I tried to correct every poster to my own view, but soon gave up on that. This is a public forum, where the public can discuss their dental issues. Many phobic patients have been supported here, people put at ease, a good reccomendations made.

People will give out the wrong the advice on the internet, that is nature of the internet, most people are wise enough to seek professional advice (see charter) and spammers and people who are blatant marketeers fool very few people.

I think the real value of this forum is actually for the dental professionals. Read what the publics concerns are, what they want, what their worries are, there are thousands of topics, its a rich source of information.

• Advertisement

My OH never flosses and says it's because, like you, the floss would come back out in shreds. He went to the same dentist as me who warned me on pain of mass tooth loss to floss twice a day and he told him he didn't need to because his teeth are so close together that food etc couldn't get in between them and only floss if he felt he needed to.

I've got gaps that food could set up camp and live very comfortably in hence my gum disease 'issue' :(

So it's not a one size fits all approach
    Tepe Interdental brushes. The Dental Hospital recommends these instead of floss. There are lots of different sizes so people can find the right size for their teeth. If you have big gaps, you would probably use yellow, green or purple ones...:) Get the multipack, try them all out, and choose the right size for your dentition then

Unfortunately boards.ie is a free service and the mods hear carry out moderation in their own time for no thanks and a lot of grief. After I first started this forum I tried to correct every poster to my own view, but soon gave up on that. This is a public forum, where the public can discuss their dental issues. Many phobic patients have been supported here, people put at ease, a good reccomendations made.

People will give out the wrong the advice on the internet, that is nature of the internet, most people are wise enough to seek professional advice (see charter) and spammers and people who are blatant marketeers fool very few people.

I think the real value of this forum is actually for the dental professionals. Read what the publics concerns are, what they want, what their worries are, there are thousands of topics, its a rich source of information.

Fair enough. I suppose I was just a bit shocked at the fighting and squabbling among the people giving dental advice.I'm sure you've noticed there is a lot of that going on!! :)

This can be closed now I suppose, Thanks for all the replies....even if there was alot of needles arguing :pac:

gccorcaigh wrote: »
    Tepe Interdental brushes. The Dental Hospital recommends these instead of floss. There are lots of different sizes so people can find the right size for their teeth. If you have big gaps, you would probably use yellow, green or purple ones...:) Get the multipack, try them all out, and choose the right size for your dentition uthen
    Yep, that's what I use. When I say flossing I actually mean these. I use the blue ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Anyone any idea what this costs nowadays? And does prsi cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

liam12989 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what this costs nowadays? And does prsi cover it?

I have been to a hygienist twice. Its 60/70€ approx depending where you go. You can't claim against prsi as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

65 euro for dental hygiene treatment is very cheap! Im sure the hygienist did a meticulous job on your teeth,
    hygienists are much better than dentists at cleanings, periodontal work etc. Bear in mind, that a lot of practices require their hygienist to see patients every 15 minutes, the hygienists would have built up speed over time.
    Is this true? Are dental hygienists better at cleaning teeth than dentists?

Any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Went to hygienist on Tuesday - €80 for 20 minutes work (I got a "free" toothpick).

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Went to hygienist on Tuesday - €80 for 20 minutes work (I got a "free" toothpick).

I was charged 68 for first session which was 50 minutes( I got a free toothbrush toothpaste and another cleaning instrument). Next was 100 as they had to numb the area they were cleaning. But can claim back 20% on the 100 for a 50 minute consultation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Is this true? Are dental hygienists better at cleaning teeth than dentists?

Any thoughts anyone?

i've seen patients come back from hygienists where you'd pick dirt off teeth like pulling a trolley out of a canal. anecdotal evidence would suggest that if they're quiet, they're good. so don't ask about holidays etc.

Advertisement